Pedals auto-turn on with switcher and power supply

Billbill

Power User
I got my switcher in rack all setup (except for the pedals to rack switcher connections), they are all powered by Voodoo Labs pedal power 2+. I noticed when I turn on the power conditioner that the VL pedal power turns on but only 2 out of 7 pedals power up automatically. I have to pull out the drawer and turn the others on.
I assume this is inherent to how said pedals are wired internally? Is there a work-around of some sort so all pedals automatically turn on when I fire up the power conditioner ?

I used to have 2 similar rigs and never had that issue. I had 8-10 pedals of different varieties connected to GCX loop switchers and all control of the pedal on/off was handled by being in or out of the loop.

When my rigs powered up the pedals were always in the state they were left (always on).

I used both a Pedal Power 2 and Dunlop DC Brick at different points.

You're probably correct... But it seems weird that none of mine had the same issue.

Some of my pedals (ie Digtech Freqout) also don't retain status after power cycle - pain in the patoot - no way around it afaik.

Yeah. It’s something new to me as I’ve never had racks with switchers before but this is pretty darn annoying I must say. I’ll have to tinker some more and see what happens if I try a strong zip tie holding the switch down maybe idk lol. Very annoying but owell

I assume this is inherent to how said pedals are wired internally?
It’s conceivable. If they use a non-latching bypass switch it could power-up in a default bypassed state. Maybe they thought about it and have a micro-switch inside the box that defines how it should power up, or a switch combination at power up that tells it what it should default to.

Is there a work-around of some sort so all pedals automatically turn on when I fire up the power conditioner ?
That’d depend on the manufacturer of the pedal. It’s not something that the other equipment can control unless you’re also using MIDI to control them. Maybe they need a 9-volt battery internally to remember their last state?

Without knowing what the pedals are it’s not possible to do more than talk about possibilities.

It’s conceivable. If they use a non-latching bypass switch it could power-up in a default bypassed state. Maybe they thought about it and have a micro-switch inside the box that defines how it should power up, or a switch combination at power up that tells it what it should default to.

That’d depend on the manufacturer of the pedal. It’s not something that the other equipment can control unless you’re also using MIDI to control them. Maybe they need a 9-volt battery internally to remember their last state?

Without knowing what the pedals are it’s not possible to do more than talk about possibilities.
My Expresso FX vintage style bc108 Si fuzz and the Boss CS3 compressor come on automatically but the boss fz2 hyper fuzz, two WayHuge swollen pickle fuzzes, and Trex Crunchy Frog that I have do NOT. Very annoying. Maybe if there’s a term that would describe this phenomenon someone could tell me about so if I decide to just replace the “annoying” pedals I can look for something that would function as needed. I don’t even think pedal manufacturers state that as a selling point much less mention it in their product descriptions, or do they? Idk. Confused and annoying….

My Expresso FX vintage style bc108 Si fuzz and the Boss CS3 compressor come on automatically but the boss fz2 hyper fuzz, two WayHuge swollen pickle fuzzes, and Trex Crunchy Frog that I have do NOT. Very annoying. Maybe if there’s a term that would describe this phenomenon someone could tell me about so if I decide to just replace the “annoying” pedals I can look for something that would function as needed. I don’t even think pedal manufacturers state that as a selling point much less mention it in their product descriptions, or do they? Idk. Confused and annoying….
If pedals have latching bypass switches then you’re ok, because the switch will be engaged.

Non-latching require the software to toggle between bypassed and engaged when the switch makes contact, and it resets when the power is disconnected and then restarts when it’s powered up. Maybe the makers of those pedals have some suggestions.

If pedals have latching bypass switches then you’re ok, because the switch will be engaged.

Non-latching require the software to toggle between bypassed and engaged when the switch makes contact, and it resets when the power is disconnected and then restarts when it’s powered up. Maybe the makers of those pedals have some suggestions.
Thanks for your insight

Back
Top Bottom