Pedal/switcher nOOb loop question. hElLp:(

Billbill

Power User
Hey all,
I want to take all my pedals off board and put in rack drawers where they’ll stay. It’s 6 pedals between the guitar and front of AxeFxIIXL+, pretty simple right? My floorboard will just be my MFC101 and a pedal switcher thingamajig IF I understand this switcher or loop switcher thing correctly. The routing and/or things needed have me pretty fn stumped.
1- I need some kind of loop/switcher right, but do I need something in the rack like an interface or a device that communicates with the axe and the floor switcher?
2- Can a switcher have a “Y” function so that I can control the pedals in my rack but switch over to my Fryette power amp with that same loop of pedals?
Thanks so much for any and all help provided

Others have suggested many pedalboard midi switchers for this but there has to be a controller in the rack right?

I don't fully understand what you are asking. Could you clarify exactly how you want things to function?
Yes absolutely! I want to rack mount my pedals and also switch between running guitar>pedals>axefx, to guitar>same pedals>fryette poweramp/preamp. Signal chain is as follows:
Guitar>6 pedals all chained in series>AxeFx II input>MatrixGT1000FX in stereo>L/R cabs.
With the pedals in rack drawer I want to select each pedal individually from a floor controller next to my MFC. Then maybe stomp a switch and send the guitar>pedals signal into my fryette poweramp/preamp. It’s pretty simple I just don’t know what I’ll need for the rack and for the floor. Maybe a rack mount switcher and a compatible floor switcher with some kind of AB-Y function? I hope that cleared it up some for you to see my idea.

I think the Voodoo Labs GCX that I suggested in your other thread would be a good choice. It will allow you to put each individual pedal into its own loop. Those loops can be turned on or off individually or in pre-programmed groupings with the touch of one foot switch with MIDI commands. You can use the MFC that you have to control both the Axe-FX and the GCX, so you wouldn't need any extra floor boards. If you route the OUT2 of the Axe-FX to the input of your Fryette preamp / power amp setup then I believe that you can use the MUX bock to switch between the Fryette rig and the Axe / Matrix rig. You will need additional gear if you are intending to use the same guitar cabinets for the two rigs.

Note that I'm not intimately familiar with either the GCX or the Axe-FX II, so you'll need to do the requisite reading of manuals to fact check my proposed routing scheme.

I think the Voodoo Labs GCX that I suggested in your other thread would be a good choice. It will allow you to put each individual pedal into its own loop. Those loops can be turned on or off individually or in pre-programmed groupings with the touch of one foot switch with MIDI commands. You can use the MFC that you have to control both the Axe-FX and the GCX, so you wouldn't need any extra floor boards. If you route the OUT2 of the Axe-FX to the input of your Fryette preamp / power amp setup then I believe that you can use the MUX bock to switch between the Fryette rig and the Axe / Matrix rig. You will need additional gear if you are intending to use the same guitar cabinets for the two rigs.

Note that I'm not intimately familiar with either the GCX or the Axe-FX II, so you'll need to do the requisite reading of manuals to fact check my proposed routing scheme.
Yeah I didn’t know the MFC can control a rack loop switcher lol . Also yes you’re correct about the cabs and thanks for touching on that too, I do intend to run the same two L/R cabs with this setup. I’ve been looking at the KHE, ACS, and Kahayan amp/cab switchers for that that offer fx loops extensions but another problem surfaces because I’m running both L/R outs of axe, matrix, and cabs for stereo and these switchers don’t have anything for stereo amps. I feel like I’m going in the right direction. Gonna keep digging at this

Check out RJM
Wow I just checked it out man that thing looks like exactly what I need even mentions stereo in a few of the diagrams. Not sure if I can use it for amp switching through the same cabs I might need a dedicated amp/cab switcher or just run TWO of these RJM Gizmos in parallel to accommodate. I might have to call in and talk to someone at RJM for this one. Thanks for the suggestion!

A tech from RJM reached out said effect gizmo cannot handle speaker level signals and would damage its relays:(
I guess I’ll have to find an amp/cab switcher for the stereo matrix poweramp that can handle the L/R outs of the matrix. So far haven’t found ANY ! Damn:/

A tech from RJM reached out said effect gizmo cannot handle speaker level signals and would damage its relays:(
I guess I’ll have to find an amp/cab switcher for the stereo matrix poweramp that can handle the L/R outs of the matrix. So far haven’t found ANY ! Damn:/
You posted two descriptions of what you want to do. Neither of them mention switching speaker signals. Sounds like you want to switch between an AxeFX input and an Amp input while controlling 6 pedals via a loop switcher. RJM can do this.

You posted two descriptions of what you want to do. Neither of them mention switching speaker signals. Sounds like you want to switch between an AxeFX input and an Amp input while controlling 6 pedals via a loop switcher. RJM can do this.
Yes!!! I want to switch from AxeFx/Matrix (stereo) to Fryette preamp-poweramp (stereo). Each setup would share Left and Right cabs. The problem is that the stereo poweramps would be sending a Left AND Right signal into the switcher. I have not seen or found an amp switching device that would take a Left AND right from a single poweramp.

Yes!!! I want to switch from AxeFx/Matrix (stereo) to Fryette preamp-poweramp (stereo). Each setup would share Left and Right cabs. The problem is that the stereo poweramps would be sending a Left AND Right signal into the switcher. I have not seen or found an amp switching device that would take a Left AND right from a single poweramp.
Ampete Engineering

I like the RJM effects gizmo because it has 12 loops vs the typical 8 like most switchers: I just need independent control of each pedal each it’s own loop. Can the MFC101 control the effects gizmo to fire each pedal?
The stereo amp switcher with stereo L/R from the Matrix is another battle maybe I’ll have to deal with that one at another time in life lol.

Or hell, even some kind of work around for the amp switcher to have a L/R from both poweramps going to both L/R cabs. Even thought of getting TWO small floor board switchers from Radial (they make the most compact switcher), to see if that will work because the switching of poweramps doesn’t need to be that much of an on-the-fly type of thing.

Back
Top Bottom