Pedal Steel Patch - Pitch Block

TitusMaz

Hello Everyone !
I downloaded some Steel Pedal patches on my Fractal FM3 and the FM3 but they actually saturate my FM3 CPU !
So I was trying to use the pitch block on one of my presets to replicate the instructions indicated by Michael Dolce on a YT video he did about it long time ago .

I don't understand what type of pitch block is able to act on the single frequencies in order to bring the 5th to the 6th and the 3rd to the 4th ( via the use of an expression pedal of course ), is this possible ? Or am I just demanding too much from a pitch block ?

I am looking to either get a pre-made patch that is able to do this or understand how to set a pitch block to do this !

Thanks for letting me know !
Titus

I tried this and @Moke was kind enough to help coax 2 pitch shifters out of the FM9. But it sounded less than optimal in the end.

It's a brilliant idea, but probably a task best suited for the FXIII with dual pitch blocks.

Hi @Moke
Yes unfortunately those two patches you have on that thread available for download hit the FM3 CPU limit so they are muted.
Any suggestion on how to make them work ? How can they saturate my CPU so easily ?
Any other suggestion is appreciated thanks a lot

Hi @Moke
Yes unfortunately those two patches you have on that thread available for download hit the FM3 CPU limit so they are muted.
Any suggestion on how to make them work ? How can they saturate my CPU so easily ?
Any other suggestion is appreciated thanks a lot
That preset was posted in an FM9 thread. I didn't notice that this was an FM3 thread. It would need to be scaled back to fit on an FM3. Do you have the standard or the Turbo?

I default to the wisdom of a legend like Moke since I have only been around 5 or so years.

But...
I abandoned this noble quest until I get a FXIII. That's the only way to get 2 advanced whammy algos working. I want to do that with 2 piano sustain pedals and an expression doing volume.

It needs the CPU power of the Axe-Fx (and 2 pitch blocks) to pull off an accurate pedal steel emulation with both the A and B pedals modeled from a pedal steel.

You can do either one with the FM3 and FM9 ..but not both pedals. You can also do a wicked slide guitar emulation with the advanced whammy.

Last edited:
Here it is, reworked for the FM3 (FW 7.00), so that you can play around with it.
  1. Removed the Ambient/Enhancer parts.
  2. Tweaked the 'Plex-Delay' 5th/6th pseudo Pitch block to be a bit smoother?
  3. Selected a different Reverb, as the FM3 doesn't have all of the current FM9 models. Maybe a Spring model just before the Amp would be better?
  4. Removed some of the extra Pitch block algorithms which where exceeding the CPU. Just left the Whammy related stuff.
  5. Lowered the Cab block and Reverb block quality.
  6. Edited a few scenes to reflect the changes.
  7. Requires Control Switches 1 and 2 setup as 'Momentary' switches to act as the virtual Pedals.
  8. Pedal 1 for volume control/swells.
  9. Didn't really choose or edit anything tone relayed. Mostly just added the dual 'Pitch' abilities as an experiment.
Moke

Attachments

• PEDAL STEEL 2 FM3 (Moke).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Amazing !
Yes this one works on my FM3 ( not turbo )
So I assign one of the switches to the Whammy Control ( that switches from 0 to 100%)
And the other one to the PLXDelay master pitch ( I have an Ampero dual switch )
They both work but I don't get the Whammy set with Start on 4 and Stop on 5, this is mostly changing my guitar tuning and making it start 4 semitones up if I'm not wrong ..
How can have all of this work in my standard tuning ? Do I have to assign something else.

Also my Ampero Dual Switch is already assigned to toggle PRESET - SCENE - FX selection on the main switches.
Is there a way to disengage this function I have set on the whole Fm3 general switch option to have this preset only work locally with the pitch switches ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

I used a sort of pedal steel simulation live two weeks ago for a song that had a country flavor and a few spots that were kind of broken down. I based it off the Michael Dolce video and adapted it to the FM3, but I wasn't bringing in different notes with switches. I used a volume block (first block in the patch) with auto-swell, then a pitch block (after the cab) to add the 3rd and 5th for the key, then a reverb block (end of chain) with 100% mix. Used my slide playing single notes like Michael did in his video and it worked well. The attack was a little late, so will have to play with reducing that. CPU was only at 68% with lots of blocks in the patch. I'll have to try Moke's patch as well.

1711162615387.png
1711162586819.png

Amazing !
Yes this one works on my FM3 ( not turbo )
So I assign one of the switches to the Whammy Control ( that switches from 0 to 100%)
And the other one to the PLXDelay master pitch ( I have an Ampero dual switch )
They both work but I don't get the Whammy set with Start on 4 and Stop on 5, this is mostly changing my guitar tuning and making it start 4 semitones up if I'm not wrong ..
How can have all of this work in my standard tuning ? Do I have to assign something else.

Also my Ampero Dual Switch is already assigned to toggle PRESET - SCENE - FX selection on the main switches.
Is there a way to disengage this function I have set on the whole Fm3 general switch option to have this preset only work locally with the pitch switches ?

Thanks a lot for your help !
You shouldn't have to assign anything in the preset itself. The two Control Switches are already attached to their respective pitch bending functions.

You do however have to assign the two Control Switches to two switches on your FM3 and set them as 'Momentary'. This can be via the hardwired or your 'Stand-in switches, in a specific 'Layout', or as Pre-Preset 'Overrides' for only when this preset is loaded up.

Back
Top Bottom