Pedal steel, anyone?

touch33

Experienced
Got a good friend who is an old-pro pedal steel player, and he’s super-interested in a rig that he can move without hiring a cartage service (has some back issues, and they’re not getting any better with age). He’s started asking about my AFX experiences and is considering making the move, most likely to an FM9. He’s usually the only person on stage who is still not using IEMs and he’s feeling some pressure to make that move as well.

Any thoughts out there?

The advantage of the FM9 over something like, say the Milkman amp and a few other pedals on a small board, is the number of inputs/outputs and the integrated effects.
The disadvantage is how long patch creation takes, and how much patience he might have for that.

Here's a patch I use on an FM3. It does have a modifier on the reverb decay and mix attached to an expression pedal.
There's also a 2 button foot switch used for tap tempo on the delay and the other button is scene select.
The 3rd foot switch on the FM3 is for CS1 to engage the graphic eq on the amp to give you a faux dobro sound.

Attachments

• Steel TwinTucana.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 13
Here's a patch I use on an FM3. It does have a modifier on the reverb decay and mix attached to an expression pedal.
There's also a 2 button foot switch used for tap tempo on the delay and the other button is scene select.
The 3rd foot switch on the FM3 is for CS1 to engage the graphic eq on the amp to give you a faux dobro sound.
as Elvis always said: “thankyouverymuch.”

I am a beginner steel player. I've had one for maybe 6 months. I still have a stable of amps for my guitars tho. I find it easy to lock in a great tone with the AxeFx 3 or my FM3. I do not even feel the need to fiddle with it all the time....unlike what I do with my electric guitars. Note: The fiddling with my electric guitars is just for fun. My gigging presets are stable.

I play pedal steel live very often, all through my axe fx, it works and sounds great! I actually just use a PEQ block, no Amp sim. I know a few other great players who play through a solid state peavy and another uses the old line 6 red bean POD, you’d never guess it either…I think your friend would love the sound he gets from the axe fx

I have a Mullen 10 string and it sounded astounding thru my Ultra. Much less my III. It's still a guitar with a pickup. Here's an old vid with my guitar thru an Axe. Not me on steel but a friend named Johnny Mulhair.

@Chadwick, Are you using a cab block with that PEQ block? In the past, I've had patches
that used the PEQ block instead of an amp block, but always with a cab block, usually a JBL
or an EV.

@Chadwick, Are you using a cab block with that PEQ block? In the past, I've had patches
that used the PEQ block instead of an amp block, but always with a cab block, usually a JBL
or an EV.
No, just a PEQ in my main preset for tone shaping because I play guitar more. I’m doing it that way just to save CPU for my guitar signal path and all the other blocks I also run in the same preset. Don’t get me wrong, use what sounds best to you. If I was playing only pedal steel and not both instruments at the same time I’d use a Cabinet block too.

Back
Top Bottom