Pedal in the fx loop hiss. Newbie question.

efx

Inspired
Just to preface, I've scoured the forum on this topic as much as I can but after experimenting and still not feeling if this is something I'm setting up wrong I thought I'd start my own topic on this issue.

I tried putting my bb preamp pedal in the loop instead of in front to just gain an understanding of how and what it would sound like. I noticed I got a lot of hiss and while raising the output 2 boost/pad to 18 reduced it, it's still there.
Now I'm wondering if this is to be expected or if it's an issue with my unit. I have a mark I version and according to some threads people have had their units modded but I'm not sure if that's something that applies here in my situation.

I've made a brief clip illustrating what it sounds like, it's just one chord. First two times it's played with the bb preamp in front and then two times in the loop. As you can hear the hiss between the first two chords is very noticeable compared to the last two.

https://soundcloud.com/viktorlundberg-1/hiss

Any ideas or thoughts on how I could improve this? I know it makes little sense to run this pedal in the loop but I wanted to know how it works as I'm looking into buying a darkglass bk7 and running it there. So this hiss worries me a bit.

Thanks in advance :)

Viktor

Sorry to bump this but I would love it if anyone knew more about what could be done to rectify this.

I have contacted g66 support but have not heard back from them yet.
Again, any help would be much appreciated.

Regards:
Viktor

I find the FX Loop a little noisy too if I put it in front of an amp block with a good bit of gain on it. Using an XL here. Don't know if that's user error or something inherent in the Axe.

Reactions: efx
Allright so at least I'm not alone in experiencing that then thanks. Going to see what G66 has to say if they get back to me :)

You have to put a noise gate after the amp and cab block but before the reverb, delay etc.
I use many pedals with the loop and experience this problem often. You need to play with the gate settings and even try the various input options in said gate settings. All my pedals are dead quiet now yet still sound awesome.

Good luck!

Reactions: efx
Yeah, this example was done with no gate on. I guess I'm still wondering if having this fabled mod done would improve the basic setup any or if the sound heard in the recording above is expected from a setup like this (drive pedal into high gain amp, recto in this case).

You have to put a noise gate after the amp and cab block but before the reverb, delay etc.

Why is this? I am struggling with placing pedals the Axe fx II (Mk1) FX loop ever since I got it some years ago. Finally gave up. Just too much noise. Shouldn't be necessary to compensate that a with an extra noise gate? Shouldn't be so hard to make it work. Also read here that the MK1 just has a noisy FX loop and that they changed it on later machines (I guess Mk2).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from the place I bought it from to hear if they can fix that..

Whats the big deal about adding the noise gate? I have a couple of hardcore noisy metal pedals that I managed to quiet down without any tone suck. Now that I know what Im doing it takes 30 seconds. Please try it out.

Back
Top Bottom