Pedal in Effects loop (Big Sky) Volume issue

papaflann

Inspired
I wanted to try a Big Sky just to open up some new vibes and help with CPU (i'm a one preset kind of guy).

So I have the Big Sky in the loop and have the FX Block in series. I have all the faders in the FX Block maxed out to 20db and It still decreases the volume of the preset significantly. I know i can compensate for the volume decrease by bumping the output block in the amp etc, but just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Not only with the Big Sky but with other external pedals in the loop.

There isn't an output knob on the Big Sky, only Mix.

I also wonder if for some reason the tone of the patch isn't as good with the big sky engaged. When i bypass the block the preset gets significantly louder and due to Fletcher munson I can't tell if the tone is better or that it's just louder. I think louder, but who knows.
Thanks

Try setting the FX Loop's row 1/2/3/4 & main sliders to 0 dB, then just use the block output level parameter to control level when engaged. (If it's like the Axe-FX, the sliders don't help for this scenario as they also affect the thru-bypass level.)

If the output 2 knob isn't at maximum now, it might be possible to turn that up without clipping the Big Sky's input after reducing FX Loop send levels.

You might also want to consider routing FX Loop parallel to an internal dry path, with Big Sky at 100% mix. In this case set FX Loop bypass mode to mute.

"If the output 2 knob isn't at maximum now, it might be possible to turn that up without clipping the Big Sky's input after reducing FX Loop send levels."

Thanks for the reply man. So the output 2 knob is involved in sending signal to the BIg Sky? I thought since I turned off "mirror input 1" as in if i was running an external monitor from the output 2 signal then it wasn't going to change any levels in the fx loop?

In order to get a patch even loud enough, somewhat close to the FX block being bypassed, I had to dime the fader in the block and put the output level to 20db. I've tried both combinations of those.

So I have the Big Sky in the loop and have the FX Block in series. I have all the faders in the FX Block maxed out to 20db and It still decreases the volume of the preset significantly. I know i can compensate for the volume decrease by bumping the output block in the amp etc, but just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Not only with the Big Sky but with other external pedals in the loop.

Could you try putting the FX Loop in parallel similar to my screenshot below with Mix @ 100%

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-23%20at%2012.20.13%20AM_zpsdiox0akq.png

Wondering if that would make it sound better, I'm hopefully getting a BigSky this year to do the same thing.

I do this too. I have FX loop in parallel and mix at 100%. I can adjust the output level then on the separate row the FX loop is on. Also, make sure your cab emulation on the BigSky is turned off.

I do this too. I have FX loop in parallel and mix at 100%. I can adjust the output level then on the separate row the FX loop is on. Also, make sure your cab emulation on the BigSky is turned off.

But you have your output 2 level maxed all the way? Maybe that's been my issue all along. I guess I thought since I didn't have the "mirror output 1" option selected that the output 2 knob got bypassed for some reason. I"ll give it a go.

right now I had the FX Block in series cause the volume issue would hinder it from being prominent enough in parallel since I had everything at 20db (i knew something was wrong). Hope fully just by diming the output 2 knob i can then place the block in parallel.

cheers

Do you guys every notice the clip light going off in the FX loop?

If you have the FX block in parallel you can use the sliders in the output section to separately adjust each row. Haven't had any problem with clip light. Also output 1 and 2 can be adjusted to get the right blend.

Back
Top Bottom