peavey vypyr (tube) converts?

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all, I am about to pull the trigger, but I really do like my Peavey vypyr tube 120, had dual rectifier, 6505, diezel jsx etc sounds (no effects loop so no 4 cable ), any body have one of these or similar and love the axefx that much more? (for the gain sounds, obviously not the effects)? ie any regrets, any worries, etc.

well I have the 15 watt version:)as a practice amp. tried the larger versions too. honestly it seems like the kind of amp batman should be playing...axe fx all the way bro...don't look back.

I have a Peavey Tube Vyper 60 and the Sanpera II. and alot of other stuff I don't have time to list.... I had a friend that builds cabs make me a custom back for my vyper 60 because I very much like the bass response and tone of closed back versus open, and it made a very nice sounding amp. but it still doesn't compare to the tone and versatility of my ultra..... effects or model wise.....
There is nothing that can compare to the ultra, recording wise available right now... and I have tried most every other unit out there.. When using the Axe-Fx live the quality of what you hear very much depends on what you use to amplify it... so it takes just a little more work than getting a great recording, at least it did for me because I really didn't research, I just started experimenting. I could have saved a lot of time If I'd taken the time to read through the forum... but I've learned a few things mostly by accident. :)
I love the Axe-Fx.... I have the tube vyper, jsx, 5150, classic 30, tubefex+classic 50/50 and will probably sell them at some point in the future. I wouldn't trade the Axe for all of those..... Hope this helps

well I have the 15 watt version:)as a practice amp. tried the larger versions too. honestly it seems like the kind of amp batman should be playing...axe fx all the way bro...don't look back.

Same, haha.

Never tried the tube models or any of the higher wattage models. The 15 is a really nice little amp for the price though, I use it as a practice amp. Before getting the axe, I also used it for recording. Some of the amp models are a bit "meh" to me, I haven't been able to dial anything decent in on most of them after numerous tries. But the 6505+ simulation is spot on for the most part (and I would expect it to be!) -- I have a really gorgeous metal lead tone and a very chunky and tight rhythm tone dialed in that I love. I should note though, that those patches were works in progress for like 2 months before I got to a level where I was like "damn that sounds good".

I've had my axe for less than a week and I already have both a lead tone and a rhythm tone that I enjoy more than the peavey. Sounds so much warmer and much less clinical. Overall more natural sounding. The Peavey always had a coldness to it which coincidentally works out well for the metal sound, but for anything else it just sounded lifeless and most patches sounded a bit shrill (especially when mic'd up with a 57, I've always had to a bit of eq and reverb doctoring in order to fix some harshness issues).

The rhythm tone on the axe took less than 2 hours to get it to a point where it sounded great after I first got the axefx. And that was just me toying around with the different knobs a bit, experimenting. Then the next day I spent some more time on it (after reading a few metal rhythm tricks here on this forum) and it sounded phenomenal. Like literally blew my socks off, made me wonder why the hell I didn't pick the axe up any sooner. :mrgreen

I still have the peavey because for $99 it's a damn nice little amp for the tones I get out of it, and its portable as hell. Easy to throw it in the car and go jam with a friend, or give a guitar lesson to a student.

But really, there's no competition. :D And I wouldn't expect there to be with the price difference, hah.

Back
Top Bottom