Patch to Test In-Ears/ Headphone Out/Output 1

rnjscooter

Power User
Hey everyone, I am meeting with the channel manager for Ultimate Ears Saturday morning and she is allowing me to bring my AxeFxII down so I can go direct while I choose which model ears I want to buy. A few questions.....

So I was working on a patch for the meeting, as I have been running cabs and have never run FRFR. I am happy with my sound thru my studio monitors. Then I plugged my Sony headphones into the headphone out of the AxeFxII and it was dark and lost all the luster.

I don't yet have my wireless system yet, so I am ASSUMING that when I am Ultimate Ears I will only be able to use the headphone out of the AxeFxII. I would need a wireless System to run Direct Out of 1, correct? And I am ASSUMING that Output 1 versus Headphone Out, not all things are equal. So I am not sure how to decide if I like the tone when trying out the in-ears at the meeting?

Any thoughts?

Maybe buy a system at GC to take for the day and then return it? haha

Thanks for listening:)

I personally feel like the headphone out sounds better because otherwise you are at mercy of the wireless transmitter and receiver, which are almost certainly lower quality than the Axe Fx... Unless you're using a big bucks wireless.

How does music that you’re familiar with sound on your monitors vs headphones? Darker?

I had my main patch that I tour with and it sounded very good on my studio monitors, but sounded very dark from the Headphone Out.

i guess I could take a small mixer and run Direct out 1 to the mixer and then run my ears off that......

Don‘t choose a inear system listening to the axe - listen to music you know. Don’t use wireless, go wired.

Let me know if I should start another thread, but this kind of goes along this issue with using headphones.

My headphone out sounds really weak and thin for presets coming out, when compared to music through USB. Running them out of output 1 (or 2 with FXL) sounds much better too. Still a little weak but better than the front out.

I thought it might be the headphones at first (AudioTechnica M50x), but the USB sound is fine through them.
AxeFX presets sound better through the rear outputs, but front or rear I need to crank the output knobs to max.
For non-headphone sound I am running a Friedman ASC-12.

The next thing I guess I'll check is increasing preset volumes. I have my amp blocks set to -10 to -20dB, trying to get equal volume levels among presets, with the volume knob at noon so I can go up and down without crawling behind the cab to adjust that volume. This dB adjustment also brings my presets inline with most factory presets volume-wise.
The Friedman is set at around 20% I think and pretty loud for home already with the above settings (dB on amps and knob at noon).

Would a headphone amp like a Schiit Magni help?

This sounds like a completely different problem. I would start a new thread as not to derail the conversation in the original post.

Like was said earlier a quality IEM transmitter is close enough to transparent as a quality guitar wireless. Sen G3 isn't megabucks, especially if you find a used one. YES, there are some subtle differences, but only ones you'd notice if you quickly A/B them...nothing that most people will discern on stage. The way a patch is setup will effect what you hear, just like the differences in playback device when listening to music. I would bet you're Sony's aren't giving you the full spectrum. Deciding whether you want as close to flat response as possible or hyped in frequencies you find pleasant is another decision you need to make. I prefer flat so they translate, but others prefer...

Back
Top Bottom