PATCH SWITCHING GAPS - any tips?

Hi, I am, and have always used Patches rather than scenes.
(The reasons are varied and unimportant to explain here.)

But i'm still getting glitches when changing patches.

Does anyone have any world shattering tips that I may not know of?

Thanks in advance.

(PS. Yes, AXE EDIT is off!)

Without scenes, your only options are:
1. Set up the same echo and the same reverb at the end of the chain in your patches, regularly; and then set up for seamless patch-changes per the manual (or, as an alternative, use an outboard unit for the final echoes and reverbs of your signal chain, and DON'T send program changes to it);
and,
2. Have 2 different, duplicate rigs, and use a MIDI-controlled mixing device (like a SoundSculpture Switchblade) to crossfade from one to the other every time you change from one preset to another. It would be an intricate little dance of crossfading and program-changing, like this:
  • at the start: you're on Preset 001 for both rigs, and the mixer has Rig A at 100% and Rig B at 0%;
  • step 1: send a program change to Rig B, changing it to Preset 002;
  • step 2: begin a crossfade, increasing the mixer-level of Rig B from 0% to 100% over 500ms, while decreasing Rig A from 100% to 0% over the same time interval;
  • step 3: after 500ms, when Rig A reaches 0%, send a program change to Rig A, changing it to Preset 002;
  • step 4: begin a reverse-crossfade, decreasing the mixer-level of Rig B from 100% to 0% over 100ms, while increasing Rig A from 0% to 100% over the same time interval (this returns your mixer status to where it was at the start, thus prepping you for any future program-changes;

This same little dance would then be performed again for any successive program changes; e.g., changing from Preset 002 to 003, or from 003 back to 001.

That's pretty much it.

The latter option is much more perfect, and gives you the advantage of taking a spare rig with you at all times.

The former option is cheaper and less-complex, but, it won't be perfectly smooth. (It's the best you can get without using scenes, however.)

Changing presets is going to glitch and have gaps. The Axe is loading a whole new set of blocks, parameters, models, routing, etc. Dr. D's #1 works, but as he said only if you use the same algorithms. In which case, you probably didn't need to change presets anyway.

Really - use scenes and channels. This is what they were created for.

I have a few kitchen sink presets that are populated with different amp/cab combinations (per scene and across presets) with the rest being identical. Even with that consistency within a preset, I’ll get drop outs because of switching cabs in particular (which are positioned near the end of the chain). This doesn’t really surprise me and I doubt it can be overcome, as one of the most processor intensive blocks is being reconfigured and reloaded.

I also vaguely remember switching drive channels being an issue, but that might have been resolved. I’ll need to do some experimenting to confirm whether or not that’s the case.

Back
Top Bottom