Passive or active spkrs, where to put Axe on stage?

Hi all. I've been reading this forum for some time and am homing in some rig choices, still up the air about some others. Would appreciate some tips, especially from stage players using AxeFX. We're just about gig ready and I have very little stage experience.

Decided: Buying AxeFX
Nearly Decided: Ultra instead of Std - I think the extra room for expansion and the processing power will probably make it worth it. Don't really need the extra effects, but want to be future-proof.
Nearly Decided: Ditch my Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amp and 2 x 112 cabs for FRFR
Undecided: Passive or Active FRFR speakers.

What are general thoughts about Axe>Poweramp>passive FRFR vs Axe>powered FRFR?

I want my rig to consist of relatively light individual pieces (bad back) It seems like there are some pretty light powered spkrs out there - I've seen EV SXa-360 mentioned to be 36lbs. But most others pretty heavy. Would prefer to get some used speakers if possible. Any other options recommended?

If I go with passive speakers and a power amp, my rack will be heavier, but speakers (presumably) lighter. Passive don't seem to be quite as common - does that mean they are generally not going to be such good value?

Also where do you guys put your Axe on stage? I sit my rack on top of one of my speaker cabs, which is OK, if a bit low down. With an FRFR speaker standing up, there is not much room on top. I had a theory that I could get a wedge FRFR speaker, have it on its side (monitor style) and add some mounting points so the Axe (and power amp maybe) could sit on top and would be angled up at me. A bit like an angled cab with an ergonomically mounted rack. Anybody tried that?I know next to nothing about FRFR speakers, in case you can't already tell...

Also, I'd probably need to start out with just one FRFR (as I will be poor). I imagine putting it on its side behind me (or just to the side) as I would with a guitar cab. But I notice these things have horn speakers and seem to be designed to stand up for sound dispersion. But some say they can be used either way. To lay one on its side, it looks like the sound would be dispersed up and down out of the horn, rather than left to right. Is that right? Would I instead need to get FRFR designed as a monitor to go on its side?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I can't really advise you on the speakers, maybe some of the very knowledgeable forum members could help you there, I go full range into my singers PA so it's not my specialty. As for where to put the Axe-Fx, I put it on an amp stand(http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=450727 not this one specifically but any should work). I actually turn the amp stand around and put the Axe fx on so it's facing up towards me as I use it as my tuner as well. Doesn't take up much space on stage so I usually keep it just to my left, here's a pic http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6 ... 1487962850

My preferred monitoring is a pair of decent wedges (JBL) with a good power amp (QSC) in front of me - nothing behind any more.
But you can only do this with a FOH bloke you completely trust!

I think the main differance between powered and unpowered aside for the weight factor is the efficiency, Depending on how it's done (full range vrs Bi-amp) Bi-amp will equate to a tad more clarity and head room but that's about it.

This thread has a lot of ideas for stage and home use weather it's FR or Amp/cab... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=67

I think you should keep the 20/20 and your guitar cabs and use the AxeFx like an ordinary pre-amp in the beginning. So you learn how the Axe behaves in an environment you know well.
Switching to FRFR is quite a big step if you are not used playing your guitar in a studio environment most of the time.

Thanks for those tips. There are some nice rigs in that topic link. The amp-stand looks like a good idea.

Re-visited some advice recieved earlier, which was that a Tech21 Power Engine 60 might be a good way to go. SS powered speaker with XLR outs that looks like a guitar amp, i.e. is similar to an Atomic FRFR, but lighter, cheaper, smaller. Then could probably just sit the Axe on top, and get a second one later if it works out well.

Tricki said:
I think you should keep the 20/20 and your guitar cabs and use the AxeFx like an ordinary pre-amp in the beginning. So you learn how the Axe behaves in an environment you know well.
Switching to FRFR is quite a big step if you are not used playing your guitar in a studio environment most of the time.

I take your points. It makes sense but my rig is fairly new and I haven't really deailled it in or gotten to know its possibilities and shortcomings yet. I can see some potential drawbacks to staying with it a) I won't be able to set up patches using headphones and expect the same sound live b) Selling my current gear is part of the plan to finance the AxeFx. Can get get pretty good money for a 20/20 here in Australia. c) The speaker cabs are less than optimum. I have a new Vin 30 in a budget 112 cab I converted a small bass amp into and a well-made homemade 210 cab with no-name speakers. The whole set-up sounds a bit flabby when using lots of distortion/gain and I am not sure where to attribute that - the cabs or the museum-piece Boss GT-3 I'm currently using. d) If I change my poweramp/cabs etc. I don't want to have to re-tweak all my patches.

Given the positive experience of many users going FRFR, I think I would head that way eventually and prefer one learning curve rather than two, esepcially if I can be sure I will get "there" in the end, which seems like a reasonable expectation with Axe + FRFR.

I have some questions and concerns about the Power Engine 60, but will start another thread on that. Thanks, Phil

Tricki said:

The more I think about it. The more this makes sense. Think I'll try existing rig first and also use on the band's powered monitors to see what that is like. They are not very high quality but I suppose it will give me an idea.

Sixstring said:
I think the main differance between powered and unpowered aside for the weight factor is the efficiency, Depending on how it's done (full range vrs Bi-amp) Bi-amp will equate to a tad more clarity and head room but that's about it.

What is the difference between full range vs Bi-amp? Functionally I mean, rather than results-wise?

Back
Top Bottom