Part 2 my tone issues....

The_Kid

Experienced
Ok...so of course thank you for your input in my first attempt at redoing my tones and figuring out where my issues with setting up useable presets are coming from.

After all my previous work, I learned some things about my setup of presets (corrected in this latest batch)....and also some things about my gear.

So this leads me to my next step in the process...eliminating gear to find out the culprit...and sadly...I think its my black box of heaven (or specifically the input trim knob/pot/something)

I got all my patches setup, eq'd decently for a first run through and as mentioned in my original thread began searching for why my gates seemed out of sync with what other people were setting theres. I ignored the issue until my patches were at least gig worthy...and now that they are...here is what I found. My input trim knob is psycho when touched. As you may remember, I have EMG's installed, and even almost dimed on the input knob...I'm barely pushing the red light consistently. I checked my wireless settings (even went direct) and while I can now tickle the red playing my hardest with the knob at 2:00...the input/noise is too much to overlook as a non-issue.

For example...I have 10 global amps setup...with lead sounds and various effects and whatever. On my gainiest patch Recto Orange, with nothing even plugged into the Axe my noisegate settings for Ratio 2.01, Release 403.9, Attack 3ms....my threshold needs to be set to -47.2db in order for the gain to stay at -40db and perfectly quiet. I know what your saying, thats rediculous to think its going to get rid of all the noise like that....fair enough. But ive never really set my gate more than -68 db, and a ratio of 2.8 and that was killing my sustain on lead patches. With my noise gate set to -68.1 db, and a ratio of 2.4, I'm still getting around -30db of noise on the little meter.

Anytime I move the input knob, it spikes the noisegate and in my ears its all static...I'm pretty sure the input knob/pot/whatever...is going/shot and needs some help so I can move on to a better sound.

I'm posting the patch (or will try to, I've never posted a patch) to see if anyone can experiment and tell me what their noise gate settings are for the patch so I can compare if there is an internal noise issue that I need to figure out. I dont care about the cab IR I'm using, or EQ...as long as the gain structure of the patch is the same, I would think the same preset in another axe should be as apples to apples as I can get to compare.

I hope I saved it correctly, I had the strip preset numbers and unlink global blocks both checked....I have it saved as a global amp 10.

Attachments

• Jason Recto Orange.syx
    2 KB · Views: 10
please let me know if I need to change something for uploading that preset....as always, thank in advance for your help.

Hi

I checked your preset on my Axe FX Standard.

Played it with my Musicman Shilouette SSH. No highgain monster but quite noisy single coils... :)

With your default gate settings the sustain is fine and the signal is nearly quiet after damping the strings.

Could it be, that your input signal contains some additional noise perhaps from a PC monitor or the power supply of a laptop?

hmmm, that is a fair question regarding the input noise and possible other things plugged in. I'll check that in a short bit with my axe box....but in my experience at my practice desk area....I have hooked up the SansAmp fly rig there and didnt notice anywhere near the noise I get at my full band practice place. That Flyrig is very susceptible to noise in the power supply i've found. When I take my axe rig over to the practice place, I dont recall any additional noise. But I'll take that into consideration. Here at home, I have the axe plugged into a rack mounted power strip unit along with my IEM's and guitar wireless.

I'll have to some testing of plugging the axe directly into the wall vs power strip....

It is plugged into its own outlet socket....the other outlet socket above the desk is shared with an 'All in one' cpu and my small behringer mixer. I'll swap it to a different outlist and turn off all other devices and see what changes....hopefully thats all it is.

your experience tells me that I'm not far off with correct noisegate settings, and that there is some potential input noise issues in my unit somewhere.

I tried your preset as well with a yamaha pacifica with P90. The gate settings are good. I actually turned the threshold up -60 decibel because P90s are pretty noisy.

So, with that preset....with no cable plugged into the axe......and my 'standard' gate settings.....was your meter fluctuating around -30db like crazy or did the gate silence everything as it seems your noticing. Thats what I'm worried about with the input noise is that its internal or more than the input trim. If your meters dont act the same as mine, I'm guessing its just something with the trim pot....if they act the same, then I have other issues I need to locate.

level is jumping around between -40 and -35

That's the amount of gain reduction right? The meter only goes down to -40

Meaning that you have less noise below the gate threshold than I do.

I play at bedroom levels and I play with gate off because it doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom