Parallel routing of effects and sound drop

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I use my delay and reverb in parallel. But I keep level at 0 and mix to taste. I'm told I should do the opposite for this. When I do turn mix all the way up and then adjust the level to taste, the sound is louder when I turn off the delay or reverb. The way I do it now, it doesn't do this. What am I doing wrong and why does it matter which you do? Thanks!

from Yek:
"You can work around doubling signal level. In effect blocks in the parallel path, set Mix at 100% and use Level to dial in the desired amount of effect. Or set Mix at 100%, Level at 0 dB and use Input Gain to dial in the amount of effect. If Level is very high, overall volume may still increase."

Set block bypass mode to "Mute In" when in parallel so both the wet and dry sides of the block get muted, yet delay and reverb tails can still ring out. If you it set to THRU, Mute FX In or Mute FX Out you will be doubling the dry signal when the block is bypassed since the block's dry path is stacked onto the parallel dry path. Mute and Mute Out stop the dry too, but those will chop off and delay or reverb tails as well.

Set block bypass mode to "Mute In" when in parallel so both the wet and dry sides of the block get muted, yet delay and reverb tails can still ring out. If you it set to THRU, Mute FX In or Mute FX Out you will be doubling the dry signal when the block is bypassed since the block's dry path is stacked onto the parallel dry path. Mute and Mute Out stop the dry too, but those will chop off and delay or reverb tails as well.

Ok did this but the sound lost it's balls when switched to level -12 and mix at 100%. Is this the doubling of the amp thing that isn't there in comparison to level 0 and mix at say 10% in parallel?

Yeah those are two completely different scenarios that arent comparable. Running a parallel block with mix at 10% means you have 90% of the dry signal coming through it and coupling with the dry signal in the main signal row to produce a louder and seemingly ballsier tone.

Setting mix to 100 in the parallel block stops any dry signal going through it. The dry tone is the same as above but quieter. This scenario gives you the best control over patch/effect volume.

Not running the parallel block at 100% wet sort of defeats the purpose of running in parallel. That causes the dry signal to still fluctuate when bypassed or engaged. It just does it at a higher overall level. For the delay block though, unless you are running the wet delay signal into other blocks separately for more advanced effects combinations or need to switch between two different delay blocks with spillover for both, there's not much point in running the delay in parallel anyway. The delay block mix law is different from the rest so the dry level stays constant at unity gain until you go above 50% mix. For other blocks, running in parallel at 100% wet can help you keep the dry level constant when toggling blocks on and off, but for the delay block, it's not really necessary.

Back
Top Bottom