PanTrem block

NigelGBR

I installed 25.02 on my Axe-Fx 3 today, and played a bit. I activated the PanTrem block, which I haven't used for a while, and found that there was no tremolo sound. There was just a background rhythmic thumping. I did a "Refresh after new firmware" but it hasn't made any difference. The block I am using is a Global Block that is part of many of my presets, and it incorporates 4 different types of tremolo on the block channels. All of the types exhibit the same behaviour.
Is anyone else having problems with the PanTrem block?

I have experimented by ceating a blank preset, adding two default PanTrem Blocks side by side, and linking one of them to my Global Block. After copying all the settings from the default block to the Global Block, the Global Block still doesn't work and the Shape graphic stays stubbornly flat.
I repeated the process in the other direction and copied all the settings from the Global Block to the default block, and it worked perfectly.
I could only conclude that my Global Block had become irretrievably corrupted.
Obviously I then tried replacing the Global Block with my newly created copy, but I then found that linking any new PanTrem blocks to that Global Block just got me another useless non-working tremolo block. I tried saving the good block to other numbered Global Blocks, but the result is always the same. My problem seems to be with the operation of my Global Blocks, and not with the PanTrem block. However, the problem with the Global Block only occurs with the Pan Trem block. I have many other types of Global Block that are all working fine.
Any ideas?

Post the preset.
I have dozens of presets that include the Global Block, and now also the new preset that I have been using for testing. That only has Input>PanTrem1>PanTrem2>Output. I have established that I can copy all the settings (manually and individually) of each channel of my non-functioning GlobalBlock (PanTrem1) to a new default instance of a PanTrem2 block, and it works fine. I can add the new working result to the Library, and I can retrieve an identical working copy. However, if I save it as a Global Block, any new PanTrem block that is then loaded from that Global Block is instantly corrupted.
I can obviously fix the PanTrem blocks is all my other presets by copying in the Library version instead of the Global version, but I would have to do this for every preset. They would also not be linked to a Global Block template, and any adjustments I want to make to the template will have to be implemented in every preset individually.
All of my other Global Blocks for every other type of block are working fine. The Global PanTrem block has been working for well over a year. It is just the PanTrem block that is affected. As soon as it is saved as a Global Block it gets corrupted.
Can this be anything but a bug?

I have dozens of presets that include the Global Block, and now also the new preset that I have been using for testing. That only has Input>PanTrem1>PanTrem2>Output. I have established that I can copy all the settings (manually and individually) of each channel of my non-functioning GlobalBlock (PanTrem1) to a new default instance of a PanTrem2 block, and it works fine. I can add the new working result to the Library, and I can retrieve an identical working copy. However, if I save it as a Global Block, any new PanTrem block that is then loaded from that Global Block is instantly corrupted.
I can obviously fix the PanTrem blocks is all my other presets by copying in the Library version instead of the Global version, but I would have to do this for every preset. They would also not be linked to a Global Block template, and any adjustments I want to make to the template will have to be implemented in every preset individually.
All of my other Global Blocks for every other type of block are working fine. The Global PanTrem block has been working for well over a year. It is just the PanTrem block that is affected. As soon as it is saved as a Global Block it gets corrupted.
Can this be anything but a bug?
k, understood better now - I had something like this at one time: try this:
  • Make sure you have the correct version of AxeEdit to match the FW version you are on.
  • Take a new backup.
  • With a pan/trem block that is re-config'd to work correctly on all channels, "unlink" it from global and then save the preset.
  • Next, recall the preset, confirm pan/trem still working correctly and not linked to a global, and "link to and load from" a global slot for the pan/trem block.
  • Save the preset.
  • Recall the preset and confirm it it is loading correctly from global.

Last edited:
Do you use a lot of global blocks, other than Tremolo?

k, understood better now - I had something like this at one time: try this:
  • Make sure you have the correct version of AxeEdit to match the FW version you are on.
  • Take a new backup.
  • With a pan/trem block that is re-config'd to work correctly on all channels, "unlink" it from global and then save the preset.
  • Next, recall the preset, confirm pan/trem still working correctly and not linked to a global, and "link to and load from" a global slot for the pan/trem block.
  • Save the preset.
  • Recall the preset and confirm it it is loading correctly from global.
Thank you Sprint. After repeating your suggested procedure several times, I eventually got it to stick and was able to load a working version of the Global Block. I then found that the PanTrem blocks based on the Global Block in all my other presets had come back to life. That's a relief!
It is obviously possible for a single block contained within Global Blocks to get corrupted, and to take all instances based on that Global Block with it. It is also evident that it can be very tricky to dislodge and overwrite the Global Block affected.

Thank you Sprint. After repeating your suggested procedure several times, I eventually got it to stick and was able to load a working version of the Global Block. I then found that the PanTrem blocks based on the Global Block in all my other presets had come back to life. That's a relief!
It is obviously possible for a single block contained within Global Blocks to get corrupted, and to take all instances based on that Global Block with it. It is also evident that it can be very tricky to dislodge and overwrite the Global Block affected.
Glad its sorted - a tricky thing about globals is that, with standard backups you can only restore all globals as a whole via "System Settings" backup restore - not individually. To mitigate this, once in a while, I will make on board copies of my main presets with all globals disconnected from each preset copy. Its a bit of work but can save you in the event of a globals corruption of some sort, or if you've unintentionally overwritten a specific global with something you don't want. Doing this could be a lot faster if we could bulk unlink globals as wished for here (hopefully this wish will get in some day).

Reactions: yek
Do you use a lot of global blocks, other than Tremolo?
Yes. I started with a Helix before my Axe-Fx and developed a methodology that I have adapted. I tend to use a versatile kitchen-sink preset template, and just change the amp and cab. I then end up with a large number of very similar presets with identical blocks. If I add all the blocks in the original template to the Global Block library, I can make an adjustment to a single block in any of the presets and the improvement will propagate to all of the similar presets. If, exceptionally, I want to only make the adjustment is a single preset, I only have to unlink the block before I save the adjustment. It works for me!

Glad its sorted - a tricky thing about globals is that, with standard backups you can only restore all globals as a whole via "System Settings" backup restore - not individually. To mitigate this, once in a while, I will make on board copies of my main presets with all globals disconnected from each preset copy. Its a bit of work but can save you in the event of a globals corruption of some sort, or it you've unintentionally overwritten a specific global with something you don't want. Doing this could be a lot faster if we could bulk disconnect globals as wished for here (hopefully this one will get in some day).

Same here.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Global_blocks#Backup_and_restore

Glad its sorted - a tricky thing about globals is that, with standard backups you can only restore all globals as a whole via "System Settings" backup restore - not individually. To mitigate this, once in a while, I will make on board copies of my main presets with all globals disconnected from each preset copy. Its a bit of work but can save you in the event of a globals corruption of some sort, or if you've unintentionally overwritten a specific global with something you don't want. Doing this could be a lot faster if we could bulk unlink globals as wished for here (hopefully this wish will get in some day).
Thank you Sprint. I do tend to use the Library as a half-way house, and save blocks there before I add them to Globals. I have always been concerned that there is no visual indication of which Global slots are occupied, and there is consequently a danger of losing track and overwriting an important Global that is in use in other presets.
Also there are a lot of other things in System Settings backups, and I would worry about overwriting something besides Global Blocks if I had to restore.

Back
Top Bottom