PanterA / Dimebag tone - Collaboration thread

Allu83

Hi everybody! It looks like we'll never get a Randall (RG/Century) amp for our beloved AxeFx II, so I was wondering if anybody is interested in recreating THAT massive and over-saturated tone that Dimebag was famous for (Vulgar Display Of Power / Far Beyond Driven era)..
I'm actually playing in a Pantera tribute band, and I've already done a lot of research about his gear...
I'm pretty happy with the tone I've archived (but I'm running out of CPU with it..)
I think it would be a great idea to get a collaboration thread to build it from scratch...
I don't like the tone-matched presets (don't sound that good to me), so I'd prefer to take the less travelled road to nail his tone!

DIMEBAG GEAR:
- Dean ML guitars with Bill Lawrence XL500 (bridge pickups, reversed) tuned 1/4 down (or 1 and 1/4 down)

- MXR blue 6 band EQ (^ shape to boost mids before the amp, to get more saturation)
- Dunlop DB01 Wha
- Digitech Whammy I (usually 2 octaves up)
- MXR ZW OD (to boost his high pitched squeals!)
- MXR Flanger/Doubler (in the send/return of the 2nd amp, to make the sound huge)
- Noisegate (i think Rocktron Hush, or some other kind of noisegate..)

- 1 Randall Century (or RG100) Solid State amp
- 1 Randall Century (or RG100) Solid State amp (input from the MXR Flanger/Doubler)

- Furman Parametric EQ (V-shape to lower the mids that was previously boosted by the MXR)

- Randall Cabs (oversized, with Celestion/Jaguar speakers.. don't know exactly!)

Here are more info that I've found out around the web that we could use as starting point for the tweaking..)

"To get his tone the first thing you should do it put a PEQ as the first block, that was the key to his sound. Set the 2nd Freq at 400 Hz, 3rd at 800 Hz , 4 the at 1 kHz and last at 8 kHz set at peak.
Set the q 1/2 or narrower.
The main freq to boost is 800 Hz for mids and 400Hz for thickness. 1 kHz is optional if you need more mids and also 8 KHz just incase you need some brightness. Try boosting which ever frequency sounds best to you."

I've find out the the amp that he's using was based on JCM800 schematics, so for the amps a good starting point would be the BRIT800Mod (someone said also the CAMERON CH2)

If someone's interested in developing this I'd be happy to share a soundclip and the preset file with you... :)
I know there are a lot of Dime fans out there, so... GETCHA PULL! and let's make this!!!
Allu

It's pretty easy to get a dimebag isolated guitar track from that era and tone match it (I'm listening to the walk guitar track as I type). I've heard several on Axe-Change that were pretty dead bang for their FW version.

There was a 'Walk' tonematch on here that was pretty much spot on. The only problem is that there is some form of clash in 17.04 that makes the sound drop out after a few seconds. Before this it was incredibly solid.

Back
Top Bottom