Wish Panning Flanger

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Could we get a new "Panning Flanger" effect type that has a mono flanger line (analog or digital) along with a second LFO that does the panning of the flanged part of the signal (i.e., at the output of the effect portion of the signal flow) which is triggerable (like the main flanging LFO) upon engaging the effect?

I have been building it (more or less - not 100% happy with using the stereo width and balance to do the work, but in parallel with dry signal it goes halfway decently) with a parallel-linked flanger block, a mixer to mix it back in (and balance levels), a shunt, and one of the LFOs, but it takes a huge number of modifiers to make it work smooooooovely when I step on "External 5"....

Could we get a new "Panning Flanger" effect type that has a mono flanger line (analog or digital) along with a second LFO that does the panning of the flanged part of the signal (i.e., at the output of the effect portion of the signal flow) which is triggerable (like the main flanging LFO) upon engaging the effect?

I have been building it (more or less - not 100% happy with using the stereo width and balance to do the work, but in parallel with dry signal it goes halfway decently) with a parallel-linked flanger block, a mixer to mix it back in (and balance levels), a shunt, and one of the LFOs, but it takes a huge number of modifiers to make it work smooooooovely when I step on "External 5"....
in the interim, maybe try putting a trem/panner block after the 100% mix'd flanger, then down to the main line from after the trem/panner.

Last edited:
in the interim, maybe try putting a trem/panner block after the 100% mix'd flanger, then down to the main line from after the trem/panner.
You read my mind. Though I’m all for added functionality within a single block, it seems like you could get there with what @sprint suggested.

Been "panning" the flanged signal with the balance control. Does ok in parallel with the dry, but you lose TZF capability, as well as the ability to widen it with the Stereo Spread knob....

Last edited:
Here is a preset featuring my panning flanger. I use momentary CS #5 to engage/disengage it, LFO #2 to do the panning, the Mixer to mix it in and adjust levels. Only the wet signal is panned, and the dry is up the middle, with the net effect being a swirling swoosh that makes you want to reach for the Dramamine....

If you look at all of the stuff hanging on CS #5, some of that could be eliminated if there was a Panning Flange with the extra LFO built in for panning. Would be nice if the panning part had a switch to use the added LFO or sync with the flanging portion's LFO, and if both could be triggered via engagement of the effect OR a CS, so that it could be left on but set to 0% and the CS could then engage it as abruptly or smoooooovely as you'd like. I like smoooooove, personally. Most things in and around the flanging operate on 370ms of linear transition instead of instant on/off or the 10ms standard transition value. Some are longer to ensure things don't snap on/off during the transitions. :)

I kinda envision a mono flange line (analog or digital), with the panner from the Pan/Trem shoehorned in at the place where the phase inversion happens inside the Flanger Block's block diagram, so that the stereo-ness can then be shrunk or exaggerated by the Stereo Spread control in the Mixer portion. :)

Seems like it'd be easier to set up, with need of a couple less modifiers to make it go if it were all glommed together into a new Flanger effect type. :)

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 12.47.48 PM.png

Going to try the Pan/Trem and see if it makes this any easier to set up.

Cool tip: If you set DEPTH to 0 and assign LFO2 to MANUAL, you can sync the sweep with the panning.

Here is the same preset reworked to use Trem/Pan.

It saves a couple CS Modifier assignments and an LFO. Also, it has this nifty "Width" that goes out to 400%!

Cool tip: If you set DEPTH to 0 and assign LFO2 to MANUAL, you can sync the sweep with the panning.

Will give that a try. Just rearranged it to use the Trem/Pan and set up the Width control to fade from 0% to 400% with CS #5 on the 370ms linear thing. Even with the panning out of sync with the flanging, it's a cool effect, and smooooooove....

Here is the same preset reworked to use Trem/Pan.

It saves a couple CS Modifier assignments and an LFO. Also, it has this nifty "Width" that goes out to 400%!
The Trem/Pan works SOOOOOO much better than the balance control in the Flanger block's mixer section. Gonna go buy stock in Dramamine now! :D

So, to reiterate (and possibly update) a portion of the wish, sticking the Panner after a mono flange inside the block and before the mixer would really blow my skirt up. :)

Gr_willie_scot.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom