Pandora

Jul

Inspired
I don;t know how many in the forum are familiar with Pandora online radio but for the past several months I've found some remarkable guitarists that I might not have ever been exposed to. My original stations include Jeff Beck, Larry Carlton, Lee Riteneour, Clapton, SRV, Allman Bros, Robben Ford, the three Kings (BB, Albert Freddie),Warren Haynes, Steve Lukather,Coco Montoya Johnny A, Walter Trout, Santana , Tab Benoit, Jimmy Thackery - to name a few... I'm leaving many other greats off the list for the sale of brevity.

From listening to those stations I've found,and now dig such remarkable virtuosos as these pearls: Steve Kimock, Duke Levine, Todd Woolsey, Ronnie Earl, Chris Cobb, Tom Principato, Johnny Highland, and many,many more.

If you haven't been there - its worth checking out. Disclaimer- I am not affiliated with, nor receiving any benefit from this endorsement of, Pandora.

As a long time student of the guitar, it's a mixed blessing though. Sometimes its inspiring and sometimes its makes me want to hang it up even thinking of trying to match licks with these guys - there are so many great guitarists out there.

I love my axe FX II - Its helping me feel just a little closer to God sometimes!

I love Pandora. I was one of the few who still bought music, but I think this is what will actually kill the CD business. Why would I by a CD now unless I was 100% sure I absolutely needed it on my Ipod/phone? I can listen to the whole thing on Pandora for basically free, whenever I want, on my Iphone.

One reason to buy CDs is that they actually support the musicians who made the music. That guarantees that the music you love can continue. Without financial backing, public support through purchase, none of these musicians will be able to put out quality music. Pandora pays close to nothing to the artist or the record company who support the artist.

One reason to buy CDs is that they actually support the musicians who made the music. That guarantees that the music you love can continue. Without financial backing, public support through purchase, none of these musicians will be able to put out quality music. Pandora pays close to nothing to the artist or the record company who support the artist.

Big +1. I do use Spotify on my iPhone, but I also buy CD's from any artist I like or listen to. I also try to go out and see them play if they're near by.. maybe buy some merch from their website or show, etc. Feed what/who you love.

I know that the vast majority of income a musician makes comes from playing live and merch and I do try to support my favorite artists in that manner.

How much difference is there between buying a CD and buying from iTunes?

CDs definately sound better and I assume the artist makes more from them but buying from iTunes, Amazon mp3, etc. is just so convenient and accessible. I'm so limited on time that these days I just don't like having to order a cd, wait on shipping, and then once it arrived I'd most likely just rip it in iTunes anyway so I can load it on my iPod.

I've been using Pandora now for a couple of years, but not instead of CD's but rather in addition to them. I like the number of new artists I've found on Pandora but I still prefer the sound quality of CD's over the compressed MP3 format Pandora uses. So when I find a new artist I like I then go online and buy their music. Because of this my CD collection has grown in size as well as variety in the last couple of years.

CDs sound way better and the royalties are 10 or 100 times the ones from a digital download.

Back
Top Bottom