Pair of 1x12s w/ an SLA?

I'm interested in adding a stereo SS power amp, guitar cabs & speakers to my Axe-FX, and I could use some suggestions/advice. IMHO, guitar cab & mic sims are great for recording (especially w/ Red Wire IRs). But for this addition, I'm looking for a compact yet flexible setup to get a true "in the room" live sound.

Musically, I mostly enjoy classic hard rock and metal tones -- EVH (VH1) & Metallica (MOP) come to mind. But I also enjoy in-between tones similar SRV, U2, etc. Tone quality at lower volumes is fairly important to me. But in the end, the best-bang-for-the-buck will ultimately win.

Based upon the above... The ART SLA seems like a good fit -- probably an SLA-2 for extra headroom (not volume). But for cabs & speakers, I'm thinking of going with a pair of 1x12 cabs instead of a stereo 2x12 cab. And I'm even considering to load the 1x12 cabs with different types of speakers (bad idea?). Regardless, the question is which 1x12 cabs & speakers might be the best fit for me?

TIA

DigitalGuitarist said:
I'm interested in adding a stereo SS power amp, guitar cabs & speakers to my Axe-FX, and I could use some suggestions/advice. IMHO, guitar cab & mic sims are great for recording (especially w/ Red Wire IRs). But for this addition, I'm looking for a compact yet flexible setup to get a true "in the room" live sound.

Musically, I mostly enjoy classic hard rock and metal tones -- EVH (VH1) & Metallica (MOP) come to mind. But I also enjoy in-between tones similar SRV, U2, etc. Tone quality at lower volumes is fairly important to me. But in the end, the best-bang-for-the-buck will ultimately win.

Based upon the above... The ART SLA seems like a good fit -- probably an SLA-2 for extra headroom (not volume). But for cabs & speakers, I'm thinking of going with a pair of 1x12 cabs over a stereo 2x12 cab. And I'm even considering to load the 1x12 cabs with different types of speakers (bad idea?). Regardless, the question is which 1x12 cabs & speakers might be the best fit for me?

TIA

It's really a personal taste, you will find that most here have a favorite cab and speaker they like. Me I like a recto style cab and a V30 for a speaker, good bottom end and lots of mids for the cut and some top end sizzle, to me a vintage 30 is the sound of rock. In a single 112 enclosure they sound really good. I built a homemade 112 based on Mesa Recto DIMM's at half the cost of a new one and it sounds really good and I push it with an SLA-2. Considering the tones your after it might be a good place for you to start. ;)

For 2 1x12's, maybe a Scumback M75 in one and a Weber Silver Bell/Scumnico or even an H75 in the other?

It is entirely a personal preference - best of luck.

Another speaker to think about is the EVM 12L. They weigh a ton and are exspensive but are supposed to be fairly neutral (less color) as far as guitar speakers go.

IF I was going to go back to power amp with regular cab(s) I would probably shoot for the EVM12L. I had an Avatar cab with an EVM12L installed (for like one day :oops: because I had already sold my AxeFX). But I used that cab with a Marshall-esque amp and it sounded really good. So, it was pretty neutral but still had big, bold low end solid mid's and pleasing highs. I preferred this much more than the Classic Lead 80's I had used which were also supposed to be very neutral (in the world of guitar speakers anyway).
If I wanted a specific type of tone (Marshally + Voxey style) for most of my patches I would probably go with a Scumback as stated above. They are not as neutral as an EV12L to my ears, but really nice speakers and work with a lot of different style amps nonetheless.

First, thanks for all the great feedback! So many options... :? But I'm leaning towards a pair of convertible Avatar 1x12 cabs. Perhaps Avatar's Traditional G112 Wide cabs with a Hellatone 60 (V30) and a Hellatone 30 (G12H30). Any thoughts?

Sixstring said:
Me I like a recto style cab and a V30 for a speaker, good bottom end and lots of mids for the cut and some top end sizzle, to me a vintage 30 is the sound of rock
I was thinking of a V30, too. But I wasn't sure if its upper-mids would be too much for a 1x12. Still, I would think the right 1x12 cab could make all the difference.

Ventanaman said:
For 2 1x12's, maybe a Scumback M75 in one and a Weber Silver Bell/Scumnico or even an H75 in the other?
Gasp100 said:
If I wanted a specific type of tone (Marshally + Voxey style) for most of my patches I would probably go with a Scumback as stated above.
I'm not familiar with these speakers, but I'll have to check them out. Are there any sound clips you recommend?

Sixstring said:
Another speaker to think about is the EVM 12L. They weigh a ton and are exspensive but are supposed to be fairly neutral (less color) as far as guitar speakers go.
Gasp100 said:
IF I was going to go back to power amp with regular cab(s) I would probably shoot for the EVM12L...it was pretty neutral but still had big, bold low end solid mid's and pleasing highs
I've heard the EVM12L has a great reputation -- perhaps best within a Thiele-style cab. But I think I'd prefer the sound to have some color instead of being neutral.

DigitalGuitarist said:
First, thanks for all the great feedback! So many options... :? But I'm leaning towards a pair of convertible Avatar 1x12 cabs. Perhaps Avatar's Traditional G112 Wide cabs with a Hellatone 60 (V30) and a Hellatone 30 (G12H30). Any thoughts?

Sixstring said:
Me I like a recto style cab and a V30 for a speaker, good bottom end and lots of mids for the cut and some top end sizzle, to me a vintage 30 is the sound of rock
I was thinking of a V30, too. But I wasn't sure if its upper-mids would be too much for a 1x12. Still, I would think the right 1x12 cab could make all the difference.

Ventanaman said:
Gasp100 said:
If I wanted a specific type of tone (Marshally + Voxey style) for most of my patches I would probably go with a Scumback as stated above.
I'm not familiar with these speakers, but I'll have to check them out. Are there any sound clips you recommend?

Sixstring said:
Gasp100 said:
IF I was going to go back to power amp with regular cab(s) I would probably shoot for the EVM12L...it was pretty neutral but still had big, bold low end solid mid's and pleasing highs
I've heard the EVM12L has a great reputation -- perhaps best within a Thiele-style cab. But I think I'd prefer the sound to have some color instead of being neutral.

It's hard to go wrong with Avatar cabs. I agree with your comment on the EV 12L, a Thiele style cab is the best for that speaker and the neutrality of that speaker can be a good thing when it comes to the Axe but again it's personal preference. As to the v30 that's why I went with the recto style enclosure, a tight box with some volume makes that speaker sound good. The Scumbacks are really good as well... see what I mean, there are so many ways to go and everyone has there favorite combonation.

I have the SLA-2 and run 2 Bogner 1x12's. Damn good sounding! I chose CL-80's in my Bogners instead of the V30's when I ordered them. Turned out to be great advice!

If you go the Avatar route, I would look at the Hellatone 60L's (tamed down V30 with a lower resonant freq.). They are much rounder sounding than the Hellatone 30's. The G1230 is a very hard sounding speaker, IMO.

i have a new fane medusa that i am using with my art sla-1 (bridge mono), and it sounds great. fane's are a little darker than a lot of speakers, but it translates into a more "natural" sound to my ears. Loud as H@ll, too. 103db. just though i'd give my 2 cents worth.

Back
Top Bottom