PA subs

Sixstring

Legend!
I know there are a few PA guys here! I'm looking to add a pair of subs probably not right off the bat and am looking to complement the existing 12" Zlx tops. It would be a combination of indoor outdoor live music gigs not into the DJ thing, 150 people max but I want to be fairly lightweight and compact!

Looking at the EV ETX, EKX line up because of the extra HP but open to other suggestions!

I'm a huge fan of JBL SRX series. I have the 718 and 728 subs (passive) and they're outstanding.
The newer powered 828 versions seem to get a lot of love as well.

The reason I like the 718's though, is because they're passive....they're light.
My PA is a 6 space rack (Behringer X32 core, S16 and a Crown iTech 6k. I can pick it up with one arm if needed (so also light enough).

I have not tried the EV stuff.

Another great one on the used market is the QSC HPR181. A bit heavy, but hits like the JBL SRX718s

I've used 2 x QSC K12's with 2 x KW181. I think I only routed Bass and Kick to the sub and it sounded great. Outdoor gig, maybe a couple hundred people... For a small indoor gig, I just brought one sub...

You can’t go wrong with the EKX-15sp. Drummer I jam with has one. He runs an old DBX gate though the board for just his kick. Punches you right in the chest. The 15’s are perfect for bands. I wouldn’t get 18’s they’re too big and obviously heavier. I have the same tops as you and they pair up perfectly at 120hz with that sub. I own a Turbosound Inspire iP128 that I do not recommend.

I'm a huge fan of JBL SRX series. I have the 718 and 728 subs (passive) and they're outstanding.
The newer powered 828 versions seem to get a lot of love as well.

The reason I like the 718's though, is because they're passive....they're light.
My PA is a 6 space rack (Behringer X32 core, S16 and a Crown iTech 6k. I can pick it up with one arm if needed (so also light enough).

I have not tried the EV stuff.

Another great one on the used market is the QSC HPR181. A bit heavy, but hits like the JBL SRX718s
The JBL stuff looks really nice but way out of my budget. I looked for some used QSC subs didn't find much. The one that I did see was beat up pretty good but was well within the price range.

You can’t go wrong with the EKX-15sp. Drummer I jam with has one. He runs an old DBX gate though the board for just his kick. Punches you right in the chest. The 15’s are perfect for bands. I wouldn’t get 18’s they’re too big and obviously heavier. I have the same tops as you and they pair up perfectly at 120hz with that sub. I own a Turbosound Inspire iP128 that I do not recommend.
Has he had any problems with it? I would go with something better but just can't justify it at this point based on the usage it will get. I'm not really trying to startup a sound business just more of a convenience deal for people I play out with or the acconal hey can you support my show type of deal.

In my 20'ish years running sound for my band, I've owned/rented/borrowed at least 20 different subs.
I have never found a 15 for a reasonable price or size, that can do what a decent 18" can do.

It's like buying the Axe III and a headrush 8" speaker.
Will it work? - sure.
Will it sound ok? - maybe
Will you wish you had more low end (especially if you ever bring it outdoors)? You bet you will.

@Sixstring - if you find anything in your used market that you want an opinion on, feel free to DM me

In my 20'ish years running sound for my band, I've owned/rented/borrowed at least 20 different subs.
I have never found a 15 for a reasonable price or size, that can do what a decent 18" can do.

It's like buying the Axe III and a headrush 8" speaker.
Will it work? - sure.
Will it sound ok? - maybe
Will you wish you had more low end (especially if you ever bring it outdoors)? You bet you will.

@Sixstring - if you find anything in your used market that you want an opinion on, feel free to DM me
So if I run an 18 how do you get the kick to sound tight? I thought a larger speaker had a slower response or do you make up for that with more wattage?

By Eq'ing to taste.
Every 15 I've tried runs out of gas before it pushes enough air to really thump or punch...unless you're standing right next to it.
When you get 10-15 feet away, it's lost.
I ran a dual 18" JBL SRX728 last night in a small room....the kick drum was snappy and punching you in the chest, anywhere in the room.
Some rooms don't call for that much sub, but just pointing out that getting a tight kick is very simple with 18's.

If I was DJ'ing - a 15" may be fine.
For a live kick drum - (and pro-sumer budget), I would never gig without an 18" sub
That said, I'm very picky about low end - even though I'm a singer/guitar player - I think the most important component of a good live show, is proper low end in the system.
People don't dance to the fizzle come out of tweeters....you need a thump in the room.

I'm in MA. If you are close and want to hear any of my gear, you're more than welcome.

By Eq'ing to taste.
Every 15 I've tried runs out of gas before it pushes enough air to really thump or punch...unless you're standing right next to it.
When you get 10-15 feet away, it's lost.
I ran a dual 18" JBL SRX728 last night in a small room....the kick drum was snappy and punching you in the chest, anywhere in the room.
Some rooms don't call for that much sub, but just pointing out that getting a tight kick is very simple with 18's.

If I was DJ'ing - a 15" may be fine.
For a live kick drum - (and pro-sumer budget), I would never gig without an 18" sub
That said, I'm very picky about low end - even though I'm a singer/guitar player - I think the most important component of a good live show, is proper low end in the system.
People don't dance to the fizzle come out of tweeters....you need a thump in the room.

I'm in MA. If you are close and want to hear any of my gear, you're more than welcome.
Thanks for the invite but im on the other side of the country! The EV line does have 18's I will have to go find a place to demo them with and others to see what I can come up with, thanks for the insight much appreciated!

Has he had any problems with it? I would go with something better but just can't justify it at this point based on the usage it will get. I'm not really trying to startup a sound business just more of a convenience deal for people I play out with or the acconal hey can you support my show type of deal.
No issues that I know of. The handful times we paired my ZLX to them they sounded great. However they were played in smaller rooms. (150 people) And replying to other peoples comments about 18’s vs 15’s of course the 18’s are going to fill the room and provide more thump. I speaking of the practicality of having the smaller format based on what you have for the tops. I own them. I’m very familiar with their limitations. Adding a pair of of 2500-3500 watt 18’s can sound great but you’ll realize your tops may be best suited for monitors or side fills vs the primary tops. Here’s the questions you should ask yourself. What’s my budget? What’s the average size room will I be playing? Do I plan on any outdoor events? Who’s going to be responsible for transportation? You’ll be amazed how you can’t seem find your band mates when it's time to move a pair of 18’s into a minivan.

No issues that I know of. The handful times we paired my ZLX to them they sounded great. However they were played in smaller rooms. (150 people) And replying to other peoples comments about 18’s vs 15’s of course the 18’s are going to fill the room and provide more thump. I speaking of the practicality of having the smaller format based on what you have for the tops. I own them. I’m very familiar with their limitations. Adding a pair of of 2500-3500 watt 18’s can sound great but you’ll realize your tops may be best suited for monitors or side fills vs the primary tops. Here’s the questions you should ask yourself. What’s my budget? What’s the average size room will I be playing? Do I plan on any outdoor events? Who’s going to be responsible for transportation? You’ll be amazed how you can’t seem find your band mates when it's time to move a pair of 18’s into a minivan.
Oh yeah I have been considering all of that! I would be the main transport and setup guy! Room sizes will mainly be small 50-150 people tops! and out door, who knows but maybe a small park venue but same crowd size. If I had to guess at number of both types of venues I would have to same that the majority would be indoor with the accausnal outdoor gig!

I think I really need to go and demo stuff to get my head around it.

Back
Top Bottom