P-Rail wiring

Sixstring

Legend!
Can someone with pickup wiring knowhow give me a clue as to how to on my Cali Carvetop?

1 Volume, 1 Tone (with push pull coil tap) and a three way toggle, Neck and bridge pups. I might possibly consider the Triple shot rings but not sure if I really need them.

Any insight would be appreciated Tks.

Six.

Can someone with pickup wiring knowhow give me a clue as to how to on my Cali Carvetop?

1 Volume, 1 Tone (with push pull coil tap) and a three way toggle, Neck and bridge pups. I might possibly consider the Triple shot rings but not sure if I really need them.

Any insight would be appreciated Tks.

Six.
Check their website... they have a lot of diagrams

http://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams

http://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring...her-misc-pickup-types#schematic-results-count

Thanks for the reply man! Yeah I have been over there and haven't found anything in a search that answers my specific wiring questions but rather bits of it.
I find it rather odd as this wiring configuration is fairly common. I am finding that a lot of people don't like the series humbucking configuration... to fat and woolly sounding.

I am also finding that I will more than likely need the TS ring to be able to access all the switching options as I don't want to drill any new holes in the guitar.

I'm going to post the question over there, makes sense there seems to be a few guy that like to sketch up diagrams so maybe it will help others as well.

Thanks for the reply man! Yeah I have been over there and haven't found anything in a search that answers my specific wiring questions but rather bits of it.
I find it rather odd as this wiring configuration is fairly common. I am finding that a lot of people don't like the series humbucking configuration... to fat and woolly sounding.

I am also finding that I will more than likely need the TS ring to be able to access all the switching options as I don't want to drill any new holes in the guitar.

I'm going to post the question over there, makes sense there seems to be a few guy that like to sketch up diagrams so maybe it will help others as well.

Read the Tom Anderson wiring options too: https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/electronics/

He incorporates some great possible tones into his guitars and you could mimic what he does yourself in regards to push / pull and toggle switches. Its all using standard hardware and pickups but is very well thought out IMO.

The triple shot is the easiest way to achieve all options with the p-rail. With a push/pull you can select two different things, like either both coils in series or either the p90 or the rail. But the triple shot would give you either the p90 or the rail on its own, both in series or both in parallel. You'd need a lot of other switches to achieve all of those with something other than a triple shot.

The triple shot is the easiest way to achieve all options with the p-rail. With a push/pull you can select two different things, like either both coils in series or either the p90 or the rail. But the triple shot would give you either the p90 or the rail on its own, both in series or both in parallel. You'd need a lot of other switches to achieve all of those with something other than a triple shot.

Yup I'm all ready looking for the best deal on those that I can find ($60 shipped ebay) so making sure the wiring is done correctly will be what I'm after now.

Just an update, so I ordered the TS rings and installed them but to my surprise they offer NO coil splitting ability! I asked over at SD forum and didn't really get much of a reply.

Figured I would get it one last shot here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

As a refresher it's 2 P-Rails / w T.S. rings, 1 volume 1Tone with PP 3 way toggle.

I have a P-Rails Hot in my Hello Kitty Strat. It's a single humbucker guitar so I wired it to a 3 way mini-toggle that gives me Rail/Humbucking/P90 setting. The unbalanced coils make it a real hi-fi pickup in that guitar at least. It's actually possibly my favorite Humbucker in any of my guitars.

Just an update, so I ordered the TS rings and installed them but to my surprise they offer NO coil splitting ability! I asked over at SD forum and didn't really get much of a reply.
Yes they offer the ability to split coils if wired properly. Here's the description from the SD site;

" Slide each switch towards each other and you’re in humbucker series mode. Slide them both away from each other and your coils are in parallel. Slide both towards the neck and you’ve engaged the front coil only, or slide them both towards the back and only the rear coil is active. This works with any four-conductor humbucker but when you use the Triple Shot with a P-Rails these switches let you select between the P-90 coil and the Rail coil, or combine them for full humbucker sounds."

Yup got that! I wired them the way SD says to in the instructions for the TS rings. Thing is I still get a pop when using a screwdriver to check the coil to make sure it's off and It still makes a pop, not quite as loud and the other coil but still audible. Is that normal?

Back
Top Bottom