Owning an Axe FX is bittersweet...

Here is why:

I came from owning a Pod HD500. The unit itself was very enjoyable for the 2 years I owned it, and it served its purpose very well for me playing in my youth band at church, and it really motivated me to practice, and allowed me to excel to be what many worship leaders at my church have said, "the best guitar player in the church". It gave me an inspiration I hadn't seen from any other modeler (the Pod HD500 did). I played many different worship venues within my church as well as summer camps, youth retreats, among other venues/memories I'll cherish for a long time. Fast forward to this past few months, and I noticed it was becoming a drag to play guitar. It was something I only did at church and it wasn't something I was absolutely in love with anymore, due to feeling limited by my gear. Within the past month, I graduated high school and was blessed with some money from family and friends and a new MacBook Pro. Throughout my 6 years of playing guitar, I knew that the Axe FX was the holy grail of digital modelers and that nothing could touch it as far as sound or quality. I knew I had to have one someday.

I decided to purchase a used one from moderator Scott Peterson, and an MFC-101 footboard. Here is where the journey starts:

By owning the Axe FX II, I am able to come up with every single darn tone that I could ever need and they all sound so incredible. I am able to get my typical AC30 U2 chimey stuff that I use at church, combined with cool shimmer effects and big cavernous reverbs with modulation, but MUCH higher quality than my HD500. I now have an incredible tone that rivals huge pedalboard full of boutique pedals and delays.

The Axe FX II has also given me the ability to come up with tones inspired by Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, John Mayer, and other bands I enjoy listening to. This black box is seriously full of inspiration and I never get bored of playing guitar anymore. I always rush home from work and instantly go to my room to pick up my guitar.

The only thing I dislike about this machine is that it no longer feels like a bottleneck in my gear collection at all, but my guitars do. I have rediscovered my love for classic rock and bands such as Def Leppard, AC/DC, Dokken, Tesla, etc because now I can copy their tone pretty spot on, but it's giving me major GAS because I now want to buy more guitars to be able to expand my horizons from my Fender Telecaster, Stratocaster, and cheap Laguna humbucker guitar. I also want to buy a bass guitar so I can start recording some stuff on my computer. Just when I thought my gear purchasing days were over, it feels like the Axe FX has only fueled my passion for playing guitar and buying more guitars. Kinda a first world problem, isn't it? Anyways, this forum is practically my homepage now, just because of how much I love hearing the recordings people are doing, and learning more and more. I've only had this thing for maybe a month, but I've learned so much, and can't wait to learn even more.

TL; DR: The Axe FX II is more than I ever imagined, but it makes me want to buy more guitars and more recording gear.

True story but if you invest in good guitars you always can get the money back if you have to sell them otherwise with guitar amps

Especially if you buy them used. A guy on TGP was fond of saying "Buy used and play for free".

I can can relate to the guitar GAS issue but it wasn't so much that my guitars were a limitation as my gearlust had to be channelled somewhere.

...or you could do what I did: sell off all your cheap guitars and buy one really nice one. It liberates you to start focusing on the music you're making; and to get lost in the Axe Fx itself, instead of wasting time and money jumping from guitar to guitar. It bogged me down too much, you might find that happen as well once you have a substantial collection of guitars. It's best to only have what you need!

Especially if you buy them used. A guy on TGP was fond of saying "Buy used and play for free".

I can can relate to the guitar GAS issue but it wasn't so much that my guitars were a limitation as my gearlust had to be channelled somewhere.

I resemble these remarks.

I've never bought a new guitar but man I've bought a lot of used ones since I got Axeified.

I'm still on SSH Strat style guitar. Axe-Fx enables me to do more with one guitar than ever before. As they say though, it's hard to hold GAS in.

...or you could do what I did: sell off all your cheap guitars and buy one really nice one. It liberates you to start focusing on the music you're making; and to get lost in the Axe Fx itself, instead of wasting time and money jumping from guitar to guitar. It bogged me down too much, you might find that happen as well once you have a substantial collection of guitars. It's best to only have what you need!

What??? Make love to only one guitar the rest of my life????? Insanity!!! What I NEED is a spare bedroom in my house dedicated to housing a massive harem of guitars.

Seriously though, I like Floyd Rose trems. I like lots of different music. That right there puts me into the realm of ALWAYS needing ANOTHER guitar to deal with multiple tunings unless I want to monkey around with string gauge changes and trem tension adjustments. (Which I don't).

Plus... I like the different tones of my different guitars. I love late 80's Japanese Ibanezes, and I dig my Carvins, but my Les Paul does something tone wise the others just don't do. Same with my Strat.... it's a different animal too that serves a purpose. I just love that Fender to get my Jimi on.

I can love just one woman... but I can't love just one guitar. I'm a guitar polygamist. There's no going back.

(That said... good advise for a young guy. Quality over quantity for sure. I'd take one REALLY great guitar over 5 beaters.)

TL; DR: The Axe FX II is more than I ever imagined, but it makes me want to buy more guitars and more recording gear.

Ha- this is so true - I've owned one guitar (a strat) since 1993...since getting the Axe II I've bought a Les Paul and a Telecaster. The G.A.S. just finds a way...

The 2nd best purchase I made after the axe was a PRS custom 24 it covers a lot of ground and the build quality is second to none.

Back
Top Bottom