OwnHammer's TrueStereo IR, what is it? is it worth while?

Mark Al

Inspired
Below is a direct quote from OwnHammer's site, where it claims currently Iridium is the only device that is capable of utilizing their "TrueStereo" IR capability. I wonder if that is something worthwhile considering for Axe III.

"At the time of its inception, there are very few outboard modeling units that have the available (or dedicated) CPU overhead or requisite advanced function to take advantage of the OwnHammer TrueStereo™ format. Thus far, only the Strymon® amp+cab modeling product line has this capability for all-in-one platforms, not only to load the TrueStereo™ dual channel format directly and without alteration, but to also facillitate the use of full length, naturally decaying IR files that are not heavily truncated, decimated, or both.

For use of the OwnHammer TrueStereo™ files in standalone modeling devices, the Strymon® Iridium is the only current host platform that is equipped to take advantage of this level of provisioned impulse response detail and data, and is highly recommended for this and its many other accolades."

It's two IRs in a single file. You can't use this in the Axe-Fx III. There's no point in this file format for modelers.

The .wav file format supports stereo. Its applicability to IRs is limited. You could use stereo IRs for a convolution reverb where two mics have recorded the IR. But you could just as easily split it into two IRs. For a guitar cab IR the concept of "stereo" is nebulous at best and reeks of marketing at worst.

Well I have the pack and do not use the true stereo option. When they came out I understood (by the discussion in this forum) that it would not work on the axe. i do however put the L and the R version in the amp block. I do not pan them. I don’t know if I am wasting space in my ir inventory and would like to hear about that from members who know what they are talking about.
About the IRs however I must say that they are AWESOME. I own quite a collection of IRs and Unless I want a Bogner I always come back to this pack. Espeacially in the 4x12 pack I can hear the wood and hollow of the speaker. Love that. I have only done a bit of messing with the cab mixes like orange and mesa, but they sound very convincing too. The fender vibroverb is in my srv preset and is unbeatable. The deluxe in an amazing clean preset.
The pack is definetly a must buy. Regardless if the hyping of the true stereo is the promised land or not.

Harm

Back
Top Bottom