IRs Introducing the OwnHammer (r)Evolution Impulse Response Series!

Third-party impulse response pack

ownhammer

Power User
Vendor
After a very lengthy, engaging, innovative, and productive development cycle, OwnHammer is proud and excited to return and announce the first of several significant next steps in the evolution of the brand's impulse response product line, the (r)Evolution series, available in traditional mono and introducing the new OwnHammer original and market first TrueStereo wave audio format!

Contained within these powerful yet easy to use packages is the culmination of everything that has been built, accomplished, learned from, and enjoyed over the last decade, polished with a fresh new perspective, and simplifying the workflow process without compromising quality or diversity of options. Greater sonic fidelity, clarity of intention and option navigation, and increased intuitive content comprehension through the new mix file naming scheme are made even better by being offered at a price point that is simply untouchable for the quality and industry defining quantity on display.

To kick things off even harder, for this opening shopping holiday weekend, the (r)Evolution Debut Bundle, already at a 53% discount on and already unbeatable price, is an additional 33% off while the ticking clock is running. That makes 8 individual cabinet/speaker combinations, plus 4 multi-cabinet blends for $19.99 through Wednesday at midnight (EST).
There are many, many new exciting things on the horizon, and we hope that this initial offering of some familiar favorites, some new flavors, and some combinations in-between gives you a pleasing new set of tones to work with, and helps to increase the enjoyment of your musical endeavors. Find out more at:

ownhammer.com/rEv-debut-bundle

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I would like to briefly talk about the different mix and voicing options here to make it easier for people to find their way through these new files. The goal was after all to create libraries that are easy to navigate and to help you get amazing results quick!

What I would do to get acquainted with these libraries is start by going through the 'summary' folders. Each cabinet/speaker option features such a folder. The summary folders have files that are very balanced overall and give a good representation of the sound of the cab. So choose a cab/speaker and head into the summary folder to get an idea of how the cab sounds in general. As you'll see this folder only features 1 file per voicing option. This allows you to try out the different voicings. This will help you to get an idea of what the voicings have to offer. For example, the Mid Boost files can work very well on stage or in a rehearsal space since they have a bit more mids. That helps to keep the guitar from getting lost in the mix. If you're a metal head and you prefer more scooped tones for recordings, perhaps the Mid Cut files will be better for your tastes. The Bright voicings can work well with dark amps of course and so forth. Please reference the manuals for descriptions of all the different voicings.

Once you get an idea of what the voicings do go to either the 'Mics' or 'Mixes' folder to discover some of the new file types. The new mixes have very descriptive names that will help you to find a mix that suits your needs very quickly. For example, I often like to use the 'Forward3' mixes. Those sound very similar to the old OH1 mixes that I used to use a lot in the older libraries. Again, the manual describes the different mixes very well.

If you by that point still feel like you want a little bit of a different sound (could be for different reasons, mostly because of the setting you're playing in) you can go over to the different voicing folders to find files that have the balance that suits your personal needs. All the voicing folders feature the exact same mix and mic types as the regular 'non-voiced' folders. The voicings are basically there to make your life easier so you don't ever have to use EQ anymore to make your IR's work for different situations. On stage people often like to boost some mids to cut through the mix. You don't need to do that anymore if you use the M+ files.

Want to keep it more easy? No problem, just stick with the regular 'non-voiced' folders and you should be fine as those are also very balanced sounding.

Hope this helps!

-Jon

Hi Jon, Can you elaborate on what the TrueStereo wave audio format is? Is it only on mixed mic IRs since I'm not sure how you would get stereo out of a single mic? Do these files work on the Axe Fx III? Thanks!

Thanks for your question! Some questions about this were posted in a different forum so I will post those questions and answers here as well. Hope this helps to clear things up:

From our owner/developer Kevin:

- They're stereo files, and can only be used by modelers that support stereo IRs?

The files in the Mono zip/directories can be used with loaders that accept mono files, which should be everything. The files in the TrueStereo zip/directories can be used with loaders that accept stereo files. Some loaders that can’t will ask you to split the file and take one half of it.

- They're not designed to spread a mono signal out into stereo?:

Correct, the left and right channels are time and phase aligned. One side is not delayed 30 ms to attempt faux stereo. This was debated to be included in the development process, but for various reasons (non-technical) wasn’t included in the final assembly (yet).

- They're designed for use with left and right tracks that aren't identical, to enhance their separation and different-ness in an organic and interesting way. For that reason, the workflow would be to record 2 separate tracks, set them up in your DAW as the left and right tracks of a single stereo channel, then apply one of the stereo IRs to that track. If that's true (which to be clear is ONLY my interpretation of the info here, NOT an actual fact stated by Ownhammer), I'd respectfully suggest that it might be easier to work with and more compatible to also provide separate left and right IRs:

This was also something that was originally how the ‘packaging’ if you will was set up. It had the left and right channels split and and provided individually, then the stereo merge as separate files to that. For the purposes of clarity of understanding and clean organization for what is predicted to be the vast majority of users and use cases, it was decided to organize and present it as it is currently (for now). As this is yet again another market first where I am blazing new trails and going places no one has gone before, there is always a sitting period where I watch how people use these and see if I predicted their behaviors, and their numbers, correctly. My initial thoughts were that if people wanted to use these like you are mentioning (I personally reside in that camp), they would simply send the two panned mono tracks to a stereo bus that holds the stereo IR’s. If I was wrong and this explodes and creates a huge desire for the L/R split from some technical or preference issue I did not predict up front, updates are always possible and have been implemented many times over my last decade of being fortunate enough to do this full time. To this end, in the TrueStereo files, the data consisting of the left channel is what is contained in the Mono section of each library.

Hope that helps!

Wow Jon @ownhammer! This is a great deal! I have been waiting to give your IR’s a try and now with this new series and special pricing, I’m in!

Awesome! We hope you enjoy them! Would love to know which mixes, mics and voicings you're enjoying!

-Jon

So I’m still a little unclear on the TrueStereo files... is this something we can use in the cab block of the AxeFX 3 or do we just use the Mono Files? If we can use them how would we set it up?

I really do love the new mix file options and the voicing. For me I tend to gravitate towards mixes because it’s easier to navigate and just play music. Descriptions are great and there are so many options but once you find the one you like it would be easy enough to use one of the voicing options for something like different guitars/amps or even parts of a song such as clean/rhythm/lead.

As much as I like some other IRs it’s not efficient to navigate if I don’t know what it’s a blend of mic wise so I really like this feature on the new ones! Can’t wait to see what else is coming up!

So I’m still a little unclear on the TrueStereo files... is this something we can use in the cab block of the AxeFX 3 or do we just use the Mono Files? If we can use them how would we set it up?

I really do love the new mix file options and the voicing. For me I tend to gravitate towards mixes because it’s easier to navigate and just play music. Descriptions are great and there are so many options but once you find the one you like it would be easy enough to use one of the voicing options for something like different guitars/amps or even parts of a song such as clean/rhythm/lead.

As much as I like some other IRs it’s not efficient to navigate if I don’t know what it’s a blend of mic wise so I really like this feature on the new ones! Can’t wait to see what else is coming up!
It's two IRs in a single file. You can't use this in the Axe-Fx III. There's no point in this file format for modelers.

The .wav file format supports stereo. Its applicability to IRs is limited. You could use stereo IRs for a convolution reverb where two mics have recorded the IR. But you could just as easily split it into two IRs. For a guitar cab IR the concept of "stereo" is nebulous at best and reeks of marketing at worst.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for posting Kevin's thoughts, but I have to admit that I'm still (mostly) confused. Why would you provide stereo IRs that are incompatible with most hardware, when matched pairs of mono IRs would do the same thing and actually be immediately usable by a larger portion of your customer base on multiple platforms? Is this pack only intended for use in a DAW environment?

The Axe Fx doesn't accept stereo files as of now. There aren't many platforms that accept stereo files (yet) but the Strymon Iridium for example does. So the TrueStereo files in this case are more geared towards them. Having said that, due to popular demand we'll be adding seperate L and R files to the libraries very soon (free for existing customers who purchased the pack). You will then be able to try the files in stereo on your Fractal device. For now I would recommend starting off with the mono files. Kevin has made a post about this topic over at TGP, I will share the link with you: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29584565/

Glad you like the new mixes and folder layout and mixes! :)

Thanks for posting Kevin's thoughts, but I have to admit that I'm still (mostly) confused. Why would you provide stereo IRs that are incompatible with most hardware, when matched pairs of mono IRs would do the same thing and actually be immediately usable by a larger portion of your customer base on multiple platforms? Is this pack only intended for use in a DAW environment?

I would also like to send you over to this explanation of Kevin: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29584565/ Mono L and R files will be provided very soon ;)

-Jon

These (r)Evolution IR, are the best I have played... I'm a huge Ownhammer fan, for me, playing an Ownhammer IR, whatever IR they produce, is like playing with a real cab, the sound is far superior to all others.
With this (r)Evolution product line, they have pushed the boundaries... the sound is even better than their previous ones.
Concerning the stereo files, when I import them in my Axe III, the Axe automatically split the stereo file in 2 L&R files, I can import these 2 L&R files in 2 slots of the cab bloc, panning one 100% left and the other one 100% right.
Hats off to you Ownhammer for your work... now I'm exited and would have some of my favorite IR from you, such as the OH FMAN and OH ZLCS with these new mixes and new captures techniques you have made for these (r)Evolution pack. a FMAN (r)Evolution and ZLCS (r)Evolution ;)

I too have the old ones... In fact I have nearly all OH IR, the ones with V30's, which is my favorite speaker.
The new Mesa and Marshall IR are better than the old ones, they sound more natural, more like the real cab. Definitely a fantastic product.

Last edited:
These (r)Evolution IR, are the best I have played... I'm a huge Ownhammer fan, for me, playing an Ownhammer IR, whatever IR they produce, is like playing with a real cab, the sound is far superior to all others.
With this (r)Evolution product line, they have pushed the boundaries... the sound is even better than their previous ones.
Concerning the stereo files, when I import them in my Axe III, the Axe automatically split the stereo file in 2 L&R files, I can import these 2 L&R files in 2 slots of the cab bloc, panning one 100% left and the other one 100% right.
Hats off to you Ownhammer for your work... now I'm exited and would have some of my favorite IR from you, such as the OH FMAN and OH ZLCS with these new mixes and new captures techniques you have made for these (r)Evolution pack. a FMAN (r)Evolution and ZLCS (r)Evolution ;)

Awesome! Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement! We're very happy to hear that people are enjoying the new files! :) There's a LOT of stuff coming in the future so stay tuned for more stuff that will make you happy!

If I purchased the previous Marshall Checkerboard V30, and Mesa V30 cabs, how do these packs differ?

In short: These are completely new captures with refined and improved capture methods. The feature set is completely new with new mix files that have descriptive names and also the new voicing options which makes the packs a lot more versatile for different situations. Then there is also the addition of the new TrueStereo format which was debuted in the Strymon Iridium platform. As mentioned before, the (r)Evolution packs will soon also contain seperate L and R files so that you can easily get the TrueStereo sound in your Fractal product!

Hope this helps!

-Jon

These are indeed a great bargain and sounding very good, but I just wish that OH would change how he labels their downloads....the frustrating way that none of the downloaded folders have any indication of what the contents are until you go several enclosed folders deep..especially a PITA in this set that has many varieties..

Last edited:
Reactions: MSP
These are indeed a great bargain and sounding very good, but I just wish that OH would change how he labels their downloads....the frustrating way that none of the downloaded folders have any indication of what the contents are until you go several enclosed folders deep..especially a PITA in this set that has many varieties..

Thanks for the support, and glad you are digging the tones, Brad!

In response to the latter half of your post, given that every single zip file is named (and this name shows up on the website in your download area) with the cabinet name, speaker name, and file type, not sure I can understand what you are saying? Do you mean the different sample rates perhaps? We always try to listen to our customers so I would love to understand what you are not liking here. Cheers!

-Jon

Thanks for the support, and glad you are digging the tones, Brad!

In response to the latter half of your post, given that every single zip file is named (and this name shows up on the website in your download area) with the cabinet name, speaker name, and file type, not sure I can understand what you are saying? Do you mean the different sample rates perhaps? We always try to listen to our customers so I would love to understand what you are not liking here. Cheers!

-Jon
Jon,
I just purchased and I think i see what he is saying. When you download and unzip it just creates a folder name Ownhammer Ir, then you click into that folder and it just has the different sample rates, it's not until you are 3 folder in that you actually see what cab it is. I just renamed the root folder to the name of the cab, but I can see what he is talking about.

Oh yeah that would be nice, rather than "Ownhammer" as now I have 15 different folders. I always drag and rearrange them into one master folder.

Jarick how are the dual cab mixes
I would figure the GNR with the CBv30 could yield some pretty
Full sounding tones

The GNR+V30 is a real subtle change from the GNR cab alone. Maybe a tiny bit smoother/flatter?

I think i might grab them price is good
And i dont have the core tone or many ownhammers

The biggest thing that freaks me out is the vast # of files

I am using the York matchless and Mesa for the higher gain stuff and its incredible but i wouldn't mind another
Marshall Flavour

Back
Top Bottom