Ownhammer smaller cabs

greiswig

Power User
Man, Kevin has been putting his process through a workout! I've tried a couple of his recent efforts with a 1x12 Deluxe cab and a Shiva 2x12. Very nice stuff in there! He's doing some things with ambient mics that, if mixed in carefully, will definitely give you a sense of space the cab is in. Very cool! But in spite of all this flexibility, he is choosing some mixes that seem to just work well out of the gate.

His pricing model is more than fair, folks. If you haven't tried his stuff before, you really should. His 4x12s are excellent as well!

Are there new 1x12's up? I haven't gotten an email about new cabs. Loved the 112 he did last year.

I'm using one of his 1x12 Deluxe mixes with the CJ-11 model for my clean tone, and it's insanely good. I'm warming people up more and more to the idea of going Fractal with the help of his IRs.
This box keeps getting better and better. It's silly how accurate things are becoming.

I agree I'm always amazed at just how good this box sounds. I won't say I was a tube snob but I had always used tube amps and now, good luck I have no desire to go back to tube amps and heavy 4/12 cabs. Although I do miss the look of a stack on stage. Just not enough to carry one around anymore

awesome. i've been messing with other cabs lately just for the heck of it, but I don't really know that I like them more than the 112 silver for what i do. will be interested to hear the V3 take on smaller cabs.

awesome. i've been messing with other cabs lately just for the heck of it, but I don't really know that I like them more than the 112 silver for what i do. will be interested to hear the V3 take on smaller cabs.

I know you're a DC-30 fan, and the 112 with the Alnico Silver is going to sound great with that model. It's able to get that delicious glassy chime, but also feels really full. Trust me, you're going to love what Kevin has done with that cab. Definitely worth the wait.

I know you're a DC-30 fan, and the 112 with the Alnico Silver is going to sound great with that model. It's able to get that delicious glassy chime, but also feels really full. Trust me, you're going to love what Kevin has done with that cab. Definitely worth the wait.

Yup. Yup, yup, yup. And I think it's seriously cool how much stuff you get to play with for $5/speaker. Let's you target what your taste focuses on, and not pay for what you don't use. Very good stuff.

There better be some good ribbon and condenser mics in there.
It makes no sense to record these small amps, most likely to be used for cleans- and only include an sm57 and 421.

Just my haughty opinion on the matter!

It makes no sense to record these small amps, most likely to be used for cleans- and only include an sm57 and 421.

No need to worry. He's got other mics in there aside from a 57 and 421. You're going to be happy.

nice memory, lol! yeah, that's what I love about the Silver. It has chime but still sounds big, with none of the honk/boxiness that blues tend to have. I do really like the DC30 cab from CP10 but can't wait to hear the new Silver from OH.

There are two first-class ribbons, a great Gefell condenser, etc. Kevin is a little OCD about this stuff, and he pays attention to the whole signal chain. The sheer number of different options you get for $5 is pretty astounding, and there is a lot of variance in the tone and feel from one option to another. BUT you can always find yourself saying "yeah, that's still the same cab and speaker." It's almost like you can hear yourself moving toward/away from the cab, moving around it, etc.

But he also provides some pre-mixed options that are very good, and typically good enough for me. I end up using the mic options and mixing them in variably to help fill out a certain sound I'm after, or to get that one tone for that one song.

just purchased a couple of the small cab libraries, only to realize there are no sysex files, just waves. will be a bummer for those who don't use cablab to not be able to take advantage of these...I was really looking forward to them.

Last edited:
just purchased a couple of the small cab libraries, only to realize there are no sysex files, just waves. will be a bummer for those who don't use cablab to not be able to take advantage of these...I was really looking forward to them.
This is from OH Newsletter:
"Due to external and internal factors, .syx formatted files are no longer provided for the Fractal Audio Systems platforms. However, the .wav files appropriate for conversion are separated out, as was done previously for Ultra-Res conversion.
In time, the previous V3 Mix Libraries will be adapted to this
standard as well."

Why is he not being able to provide .syx files any more?
Bummer for people without cab lab and I guess everyone with the standard and ultra...

This seems to force the purchase of cab lab, which honestly I don't want to get involved in learning another thing for my personal usage. I'm not saying that's the reason for all of this, just a fact.

Fortunately the Ownhammer V3 cabs I already have sound perfect for me. Maybe I'll continue to buy some to support Kevin, but just won't use them since I don't want to buy and learn Cab Lab.

Last edited:
I was hesitant to get Cab Lab, too. But it really is easy to use and I am getting things closer to where I like them by making use of it. Well worth the purchase, and virtually no learning curve for me.

Agreed.

The learning curve for Cab Lab is almost negligible.

If you can use an Axe-FX then you can easily handle Cab Lab.

i just don't do a lot, any, really, cab blends....other than the basic stereo cabs in the block, that's why I haven't purchased cab lab. it would be nice to be able to convert everything to ultra res, so maybe I'll just bite the bullet...

i just don't do a lot, any, really, cab blends....other than the basic stereo cabs in the block, that's why I haven't purchased cab lab. it would be nice to be able to convert everything to ultra res, so maybe I'll just bite the bullet...

I've said it before, but my tones improved 100% when I started using cab lab. I rate it as a necessary purchase if you own the Axefx, even before things like the MFC. I used to hate cab blending using the stereo function in the cab block, but CABLAB does it in a way where it feels like the two tones are truly combined (if that's makes sense). You have a lot more flexibility, and of course it has a lot of other good features like phase adjustment and batch converting .wavs. I would say take the plunge and you will be surprised how often you start using it.

Back
Top Bottom