Ownhammer IR's or TMF studios

Heavyplayer

Experienced
I've been wanting to buy Ownhammer IR's for quite some time now, and with the speaker choice and IR's you get seem to be the best bargain. BUT, after listening to the older IR's in the axe and hearing user steadystate say they have a Heavy comb filtered sound, has turned me away each and every time I think about buying these.

This "heavy comb filtered" sound is what I had a issue with a long time ago, but didn't know what it was called until javajunkie told me. As he stated some like it, some don't. I don't. Is their any way I could test a IR? Would hate to buy these and they all have it.

Know one else has stated such issue, but then again these might be how they like their IR's.

Then we have TMF studios. I know nothing about this guy, or how good these IR's are, even though he seems legit. His clips sound really good. BUT, clips are clips and can't tell if they have this comb filter going on.

To me this comb filter makes the cab sound hollow, especially when doing single note bends on higher notes.

What to do......:?

BTW - These IR's are Ownhammer 412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Modern Speaker Collection.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you should look a bit deeper into what comb filtering actually is. If you move a mic just a few millimeters it changes the comb filtering thing to something completely different. And if someone would ask me which IRs have the least comb filtering I would tell them to buy OwnHammer IR. The Marshall pack is not what I suggest really. If you play metal then nothing beats the 412-GTR Mes V32 STD from OwnHammer.

Also the OwnHammer SLM V30 pack that's only $9 has the least amount of comb filtering I've found anywhere.

I have no idea what TMF studios is.

Because comb filtering is a mic positioning issue and with both FAS Cab pack and Ownhammer Marshall pack you can't change the mic position. You only get one mic position.

Last edited:
No worries bro. I'm more interested in TMF impulse pack right now, so if anyone has tried them....what did you think?
Did you happen to check the link?

Sounds to me like you should look a bit deeper into what comb filtering actually is. If you move a mic just a few millimeters it changes the comb filtering thing to something completely different. And if someone would ask me which IRs have the least comb filtering I would tell them to buy OwnHammer IR. The Marshall pack is not what I suggest really. If you play metal then nothing beats the 412-GTR Mes V32 STD from OwnHammer.

Also the OwnHammer SLM V30 pack that's only $9 has the least amount of comb filtering I've found anywhere.

I have no idea what TMF studios is.

So what if you don't play metal? I play primarily clean stuff thru a custom finger-jointed pine 2x12 half-open back cab, with 2 Budda Phat12 speakers. I also play moderate to heavily over-driven leads...

No worries bro. I'm more interested in TMF impulse pack right now, so if anyone has tried them....what did you think?
Did you happen to check the link?

tmf_mesa.jpg

As you probably can see if know what to look for there's some comb filtering after 8kHz in the TMF Mesa IR's.

Not really sure what I'm looking at above, is that the frequency that makes IR's sound hollow? Would you say they "look" good graph wise or possibly too much comb filtering going on? Appreciate you checking analyzer.

BTW, I've clipped the tails and got really good results, and doesn't sound like it removed anything but the filtering.
Have you done this, and what are your thoughts.

If it helps, a quick render of a relatively thrown together demo using two IR's from the Marshall Checkerboard - Modern Speaker Collection:

http://ownhammer.com/temp/OH_MAR-CB_KsE.mp3

Interpreting 'tone of voice' in text on internet forums can be difficult, so up front I'm trying to be helpful and positive, not combative or defensive. Ultimately do whatever makes you happy, and as has been said you're doing it right. :)

Can't comment on the TMF stuff and how it compares, but I don't agree that comb filtering is an issue in OH IR's; quite the opposite if you ask me. So many times I see people championing some freeware IR they found around the internet, and out of curiosity I'll go pull it down and do an A/B. In my experience, on my tracks, compared to the OH stuff they are typically a mess in this department, but that's only my opinion based on quick listens. While I agree the 70's Marshall cab isn't my #1 choice for metal out of what I own, I also don't agree that it is not suitable for it either. The above was V30-CH_SS_DYN-57 @ -3 dB mixed with T75-RI_SS_RBN-121 @ -9 dB.

Hope this was useful!

I can't talk about TMF as I haven't tried them, but I can say that OwnHammer IR's have consistently blown me away and has to my ear improved the tone every time over all other IR's I've tried.

Grated, I do beta test for Kevin, but that came after I was completely hooked on OwnHammer IR's, and I always enjoy testing other stuff too - just haven't found anything IMO that can rival the tone, timbre, depth and articulation of OwnHammer IR's.
All IMHO and YMMV naturally

Not really sure what I'm looking at above, is that the frequency that makes IR's sound hollow? Would you say they "look" good graph wise or possibly too much comb filtering going on? Appreciate you checking analyzer.

BTW, I've clipped the tails and got really good results, and doesn't sound like it removed anything but the filtering.
Have you done this, and what are your thoughts.

Well explain to me what you mean by "hollow". For all I know you might call "hollow" exactly what I call "the best of the best". Or you might've heard something "hollow" after hearing fatigue. An adjective like that is a useless measure of sound. Comb filtering is something that is not always obvious. Actually I'd say that if you're not a trained listener you most likely won't hear the difference since it will get covered by overheads in a mix easily.

And I know that people in here use that term "comb filtering" which IMO is not the right term to be used. It should mean pretty much the same as phase issues but people in here are talking about those spikes in the spectrum as comb filtering. That's not what it is IMO. Take a look at this:

So, there are no phase issues/actual comb filtering in any of the OwnHammer, Redwirez or FAS IRs.

If you get OwnHammer IR's and are having tone problems then it's not in the IRs but somewhere else. Here's a clip of mine with different amps with OwnHammer and Redwirez IRs. Do these clips have that "hollow" sound you're talking about:

Check out factory cabs 43-44, those to me sound hollow, or what I heard is called comb filtering. Now, in a mix it will most likely get lost and no I probably wont hear it. But I can't be sure because I don't use those cabs. But to practice I just can't get use to them. Using a dry tone no reverb, and bending/vibrato really makes these cabs have what I'm talking about. Definitely not what I'm use too.

And no I don't hear it in your video, but you're also using effects which can mask this when playing, NOT in a mix.
So while I'm typing this maybe I need to consider those types of cab to be used only for recording.

Last edited:
Well cab #44 is the OwnHammer Recto cab which was probably mixed by Fractal. In the video I posted I use my own mix of the OwnHammer Mesa V32 for all Mesa amps and they work great and there is no "comb filtering" or phase at all... I didn't really hear it in the #43-44 either though but the curves didn't please my eyes/ears.

I think what you're experiencing is that you simply don't like the English Vintage 30 speaker which is a dark sounding speaker. Very little 4kHz. Do you have an example of a cab that you do like better?

For me those two factory cabs are the easiest to hear and single note slow bends make it really pronounced.
I been using a lot of Guitarhacks IR, Original center, etc. a lot of others I've found. Been mixing different cabs lately.

Well Guitarhacks IRs are also a Mesa cab but the Traditional smaller Mesa cab but the same speaker. They are made with a tube power amp so I wouldn't suggest using them since they will have way too much low end. IIRC one of the original CALI stock IRs is actually a Guitarhacks IR.

Back
Top Bottom