OwnHammer GNR25 IRs... help needed - sorry!!!

Lee Servis

Inspired
Hi one and all,

I almost feel embarrassed and foolish for posting this 'help request'... but, clearly, not quite enough to not post it!

I took delivery of a brand new AX8 a few weeks ago and am falling in love with it. I also bought a Dynacord AXM-12a and I've been blown away with the results I'm getting from the Plexis (especially the 100w 1970) the FAS stock 105 IR and my vintage Strat.

But... before I even had the AX8 and Dynacord in my eager and excited sweaty palms, I ordered the OwnHammer GNR25 pack (after reading some tip-top reviews).
Only then did I remember what a complete technophobe I am... and how would I be able to access these new IRs???

So, having pulled the trigger on the OwnHammer GNR25 IRs, I now have them sitting in my OwnHammer account... but don't actually know what to do next, lol.

I contacted OwnHammer and Jon Symons emailed back promptly and wrote:
"You can download the Fractal zip or one of the .wav zips (48khz 200ms) will also work. Once you've downloaded the zip you have to extract the IRs (which are in .wav format) from it with an app like winrar. Put them in a folder of choice and load the IRs with a tool like Cab Manage in Ax8 Edit."

Now, to all of you, this will all sound kindergarten style simple... but for a computer Neanderthal like me... I'm a tad groping in the dark. I use a MacBook Air and winrar - whatever that is - claims to work with WIndows. Only Windows?

I'm gonna stop waffling now... and stop, proverbially, talking a glass eye to sleep. Basically, if anyone out there is able to give me a (baby steps)... step by step tutorial (written description) that would be amazing and I'd be eternally grateful. What I really need to know is (and NOT whether... 'are you gonna go my way?'):

1 - from having the OwnHammer files in my OwnHammer account, which files, EXACTLY, should I download?
2 - Using a Mac - and not a Windows-using PC - do I still need to download winrar? If so, how do I use it - as suggested by Jon Symons - to "extract the IRs?

Once I get past these two potential banana skins, lol, I should be ok (famous last words) as i've seen an OwnHammer YouTube tutorial on how to load the IRs into the Ax8.

I hope the above makes sense. I'm sorry for taking up your precious time with such basic and imbecilic questions... and I wholeheartedly, from the bottom of my heart, HUGELY thank anyone who can help me. Many, many thanks.

Hi one and all,

I almost feel embarrassed and foolish for posting this 'help request'... but, clearly, not quite enough to not post it!

I took delivery of a brand new AX8 a few weeks ago and am falling in love with it. I also bought a Dynacord AXM-12a and I've been blown away with the results I'm getting from the Plexis (especially the 100w 1970) the FAS stock 105 IR and my vintage Strat.

But... before I even had the AX8 and Dynacord in my eager and excited sweaty palms, I ordered the OwnHammer GNR25 pack (after reading some tip-top reviews).
Only then did I remember what a complete technophobe I am... and how would I be able to access these new IRs???

So, having pulled the trigger on the OwnHammer GNR25 IRs, I now have them sitting in my OwnHammer account... but don't actually know what to do next, lol.

I contacted OwnHammer and Jon Symons emailed back promptly and wrote:
"You can download the Fractal zip or one of the .wav zips (48khz 200ms) will also work. Once you've downloaded the zip you have to extract the IRs (which are in .wav format) from it with an app like winrar. Put them in a folder of choice and load the IRs with a tool like Cab Manage in Ax8 Edit."

Now, to all of you, this will all sound kindergarten style simple... but for a computer Neanderthal like me... I'm a tad groping in the dark. I use a MacBook Air and winrar - whatever that is - claims to work with WIndows. Only Windows?

I'm gonna stop waffling now... and stop, proverbially, talking a glass eye to sleep. Basically, if anyone out there is able to give me a (baby steps)... step by step tutorial (written description) that would be amazing and I'd be eternally grateful. What I really need to know is (and NOT whether... 'are you gonna go my way?'):

1 - from having the OwnHammer files in my OwnHammer account, which files, EXACTLY, should I download?
2 - Using a Mac - and not a Windows-using PC - do I still need to download winrar? If so, how do I use it - as suggested by Jon Symons - to "extract the IRs?

Once I get past these two potential banana skins, lol, I should be ok (famous last words) as i've seen an OwnHammer YouTube tutorial on how to load the IRs into the Ax8.

I hope the above makes sense. I'm sorry for taking up your precious time with such basic and imbecilic questions... and I wholeheartedly, from the bottom of my heart, HUGELY thank anyone who can help me. Many, many thanks.
1. I usually download the files that end in "-48.zip", "-96.zip", and "Fractal.zip", but their naming is not 100% consistent. I grab the 3 types I mentioned because I like to share the IRs between my Axe and Logic, and the .wav ones are generally imprtable in most systems. 48k is what Axe uses, but I grab the 96k also, to have the higher-res ones already around for future use in case any of my systems can utilize them.

Some are named like "[library] [cab] [mic].zip" instead. Download all of those, if that is the name format for the cab you bought. The folder inside that will likely have subfolders like "wav-500ms", "wav-200ms" and "Fractal" inside with the files you need. I tend to import from 500ms/48000-Hz folder's wav files when I can, but the Fractal folder should work well, too. You will likely want to avoid the "Summary" folder and hit up its neighbor, which should be named for the cab.

2. Mac has a built-in Archive utility to handle .zip files. You ought to be sble to place the .zip file in whatever folder you want it to extract into and just double,click the .zip file to extract it. The person who gave you the instructions is apparently a Windows user.

3. If you are still stuck, report back and I'll try to un-stick you.

Last edited:
Wow Joe Bfsplk... thanks for the prompt and very comprehensive response - massively appreciated. I’ll not lie, i’m still left a tad perplexed by the process (I guess because I don’t ever download anything like this really) even though i’m sure you’ve spelled it out so even a buffoon such as I should be able to fully grasp it.
I’ll give it a go tomorrow - gotta start somewhere, lol - and let you know how much progress I make.... or don’t!
Again, I really do appreciate you taking the time to help “un-stick” me.

Yes I do. I have a MacBook Air.

Cool. As someone mentioned, OS X doesn't need winrar or other program for zip files, just click. When you open AX8 Edit, under "Tools" you will see "Manage Cabs," which is the "Cab Manage" mentioned in the email you received. Point to the unzipped folder and load in Manage Cabs. Hope this helps.

Hi WahooNC... thanks SO much for confirming that - really helpful.
So... do I download just the Fractal .zip file and that will contain ALL the IRs? Or do I NOT download the Fractal .zip file, but download all the ones below? So sorry for my utter ignorance on this subject and am indebted that people such as yourself take the time to even indulge a numpty such as myself. As always, the more 'step by step' instruction you can send my way will be MASSIVELY welcome. Thank you WahooNC.

I'm almost wishing - as are probably some of you on this forum, lol - that I hadn't bitten off my than I can chew... and just stuck with the Fractal IRs that come with the AX8.

Yep, download the Fractal zip file. I would create a folder on my desktop titled "OH IRs" or something like that. Drag the zip file to that folder, double-click to decompress and then open "Manage Cabs" in AX8 Edit. Point to the decompressed folder. I wouldn't overwrite the factory cabs. That's about as far as I can take you--I use the factory cabs. But there are some good videos on youtube and some good threads on here to search and read. I would take a look at some of those resources first. Good luck and happy playing!

I'm almost wishing - as are probably some of you on this forum, lol - that I hadn't bitten off my than I can chew... and just stuck with the Fractal IRs that come with the AX8.

I’d start with the fractal cabs and then branch out from there. I’ve tried some irs over the years with the ax8 and I don’t know why but the fractal cabs sound and “feel” more natural to me.

Thanks to @WahooNC for picking up the thread at the end of my rope. I can help with which files to download, but only in a general sense with what to do with them in AX8-Edit. :)

Thanks very much all for coming to my aid. Only had the AX8 a few weeks and thus far only tried a few of the suggested (on threads I read) Fractal IRs - an to very good effect. I think in my enthusiasm and haste I saw some very favourable comments on the OwnHammer GNR/5 IRs... and pulled the trigger - without even knowing how to incorporate them, lol.
If anyone wants to ping any more suggestions of IRs they’re loving/ enjoying, i’ll gladly get stuck into those.
Thanks again for your help, advice and support folks, it REALLY IS appreciated.

Ps - don’t think i’ll be buying any other third party IRs any time soon... the more ‘research’ i’ve done, the more it seems that many people are very happy with the IR offerings from Fractal.... which actually makes a whole bunch of sense.

Ps - don’t think i’ll be buying any other third party IRs any time soon... the more ‘research’ i’ve done, the more it seems that many people are very happy with the IR offerings from Fractal.... which actually makes a whole bunch of sense.
The stock IRs are quite good. I also had some RedWirez ones hanging out from the plug-in I have for my recording software (a few of my fave speakers, including the Weber Blue Dog), so I imported those. Then I found OwnHammer had a Bogner 4x10 loaded with Weber Blue Pups, so I got that. Now I have quite a few.... :)

Back
Top Bottom