Overdrives

Reade

Inspired
First I wanted to say how impressed I am with them. I'm using the FX8 with my Mesa MK V25 and the FX's ODs can stand right up to the Mesa drive channel. Thought I'd open this up to hear from some of you on the particular OD you are using and possibly favorite settings? Me, right now I'm using the TS-808 MOD with the drive on 5 and the tone backed off a bit. Exact same with the RAT.

I would love to hear more of this - usually drives are a limiting factor in mulit effects units for me.

Those are my two favorites also. I didn't really care for the drives when I was using my evh5153, but they sound great on the clean channel of my Friedman be100.

Great to hear that the drives on the FX8 are top notch.

This is something I am always interested to hear about. How do you guys (many of which have very tasty amps) use overdrive pedals?

Why didn't you like them with the EVH 5153? 100 watt version?

I'm not really sure. They just never sound good to my ear. It's very likely that I'm just not very good at setting up the amp to take a drive pedal properly. The Friedman just immediately sounded better to me in every way. The clean channel is way way less bright in the be 100. That could be part of it.. I may have had my evh setup with too much presence or treble.

Some amps react differently for the drives. For instance my Redplate amp with KT88's, and according to some others, their Redplate amps are more picky as well. I noticed that as I added back midrange in the clean channel on the amp using the 6 position rotary (Blackface 1, Blackface 2, Brownface 1, Brownface 2, Tweed 1, Tweed 2 (more midrange toward the right progressively)) the FX8 drives sounded better. Throwing the preamp compression switch in the back helped even more. Unfortunately my favorite clean sound is on Blackface 1 with preamp compression off. However, the Redplate distortion itself has never completely been my cup of tee, it doing way better low gain than higher gain boosted JCM 800 sounds unless I again throw the preamp compression switch which compromises the clean.

However I think the Redplate clean with compression on may still beat or equal any amp switcher in the clean department (possibly in subjective opinion) but the clean with compression off is magical and the number one reason I don't sell the amp. Somehow the FX8 drives are more fidgety to setup within those parameters (a bit more so than analog drive pedals). However the FX8 drives are miles and light-years ahead of other digital units I have tried, you just need to play around with them as the presets didn't get me too far. And as I said, I suspect it is the amp itself that is harder on drives (though analog drives do have an advantage in ease of use.)

One thing that helped me was I turned off the noise gate in the presets as I don't go that crazy with distortion and some of the stuff I didn't like was how it was choking on static created by brushing up against the strings. Also, I have tried the Boss Gt-100 in 4cm with the Redplate in it choked my amp tone too much. I love how transparent the FX8 is.

I used to have an Axe II three years ago and I liked how it sounded in my Mesa Mark V in the loop, but I never 4cm'd it to see how it did in that department. If I didn't need to channel switch, since I couldn't afford an MFC, sometimes I would just plug the Axe straight into the Mark V power amp and use the amp sims and effects. It wasn't 4cm, but I had no issues with noise or tone. However everything changes one use your own amps preamp in the chain so I can't compare how it would have done in that department. Compared to Boss and Line 6 stuff I've 4cm'd before, the FX8 is the first device that is no hassle and doesn't have me disconnecting the cables to go direct in out of tone suck frustration. I love how transparent it is for 4cm.

But back on topic, I do need to try the drives with my BE100. I imagine the voicing of it's clean channel would work much better than the Redplate's high bandwidth blackface mid-scooped completely uncompressed clean. As I don't have much time lately, the Redplate is my practice rig with the FX8 connected, while my BE100 stays packed up ready to take to gigs with my pedal board. Once I get more familiar with the FX8 and have time to program it for our setlist I'll start to take it too gigs with the BE100. I'm in no hurry, my pedal board sounds great, but I look forward to the added variety the FX8 will give me, including many effects I don't currently have on my PB like delay, flanger, and phaser.

Edit: I do think I love the BE100' clean more than the RP's clean with compression on, while I dig the RP's clean more with compression off. Thing is, the BE has those magical mids. Problem with the Redplate is that when you add back mids by getting into the tweed clean settings, it can also get kind of harsh, like there are too many frequencies. The Marshall style low cut and high cut really does create the perfect platter for stacking all drive sounds and voicing mids for me.

Last edited:
Mostly using AC/RC Boost and TS808 on the clean channel of a Suhr PT100 and the TS for a solo boost on Channel 2.

Can't complain at all.....

The drives are the decider for me. Im using a suhr badger with quite a large board and would love the fx8 to completely replace the board. This is massively dependent on how the drives sound and how they react with my amp. I'm surprised there is so little talk around this on the net. I think i've seen most of the videos doing the rounds but does anyone know of any particularly good examples of videos demonstrating the drives. I'm assuming a lot of the drives are also in the axe fx so possibly even videos showing the axe? Help me pull the trigger guys!

My Xotic BB pre & RC booster ...were my peddle board staples. I flat out love the BB mids & the RC added 'sweetness' & would never leave my board (or turned off)-

I am not done tweaking my FX8, but I can tell you this. The BB & RC (& a TC delay) are now loaded onto a board.... for back up to Fractal incase
she ever decided to not give it up ;)

The FX8 is amazing me

JD

Last edited:
My Xotic BB pre & RC booster ...were my peddle board staples. I flat out love the BB mids & the RC added 'sweetness' & would never leave my board (or turned off)-

I am not done tweaking my FX8, but I can tell you this. The BB & RC (& a TC delay) are now loaded onto a board.... for back up to Fractal incase
she ever decided to not give it up ;)

The FX8 is amazing me

JD

This is the kind of thing I need to hear! Anyone else pitch in on the drives?

I'm surprised there is so little talk around this on the net. I think i've seen most of the videos doing the rounds but does anyone know of any particularly good examples of videos demonstrating the drives. I'm assuming a lot of the drives are also in the axe fx so possibly even videos showing the axe? Help me pull the trigger guys!

There are many magnitudes more Axe-Fx users than FX8 users at this point. As of now there are 237 scary-accurate amp models but only 33 drives. You can see where the bulk of dev effort has gone... logical guess is most Axe-Fx users don't care as much about the drives. The amps cover everything from clean to screaming high gain and every flavor of drive in between.

Quality is excellent on the drives, I just wish there were more of them. For me they pretty much nail it except they have MORE tweakable parameters. You can often dial in the sounds of different drives, but I haven't been able to quite nail down the sound of my favorite Barber pedals for one example.

It would be fun to do a comparison of a real pedal into an amp vs the fx8 dialed up to the same model, all other variables the same. I've got a tube screamer and have been meaning to give it a shot.

Fwiw, I'm using my FX8 straight into a vintage AC30, and all of the drives I've used sound terrific. Not missing stomp boxes at all for what I'm doing with this particular set up.

Disclaimer: I have other amps where I do use pedals, etc. I haven't tried the FX8 with those amps. I certainly could, but I have two or three very specific rigs I'm...er...constantly (lol)... building. But I could try the FX8 with a couple Tweed-style amps, as well as a great BF style amp, if anyone wanted some feedback on how pedals 'x', 'y', and 'z' sound with those kinds of amps.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or have got some settings messed up, but I've not been able to get any really good drive sounds with the FX8 drives or Fuzz into a clean amp. I'll admit straight up that my experience with real life drives is limited and I've only ever run a Suhr Shiba in front of an already crunchy amp to fatten it up and boost it for leads.

So far the Micro Amp, FET Boost and TS808 on the FX8 are doing that job for me, but I was quite looking forward to finding a drive pedal in the FX8 that might get me using the clean channel of my amp, but so far all the ones I've tried have been very fizzy.

As yet I've only played the FX8 through my H&K Grandmeister's Red Box out into a mixer and then headphones, so have yet to truly experience it, however the sounds should still be similar as I'll be DI'ing from my H&K into the PA when we gig.

Any tips for getting good sounds with the drives into clean amps?

There are many magnitudes more Axe-Fx users than FX8 users at this point. As of now there are 237 scary-accurate amp models but only 33 drives. * * * Quality is excellent on the drives, I just wish there were more of them. For me they pretty much nail it except they have MORE tweakable parameters. You can often dial in the sounds of different drives, but I haven't been able to quite nail down the sound of my favorite Barber pedals for one example.

Personally, I think 33 drives are a lot. Then again, I don't like too many of them. But I'll try again at some point. But as you point out, even one drive model can be tweaked to sound like something else. I have 3 drives in two blocks set up on my main preset. One block is x/y for overdrive and higher gain and the other block is x/y for lead boosting at two different levels. I don't remember which ones I used because I went with my ear rather than the label. After finding models that sounded like what I was after, I went into some of the parameters and, for example, spun through the gain device (tube, diode, fet, etc...) and again chose by ear and feel.

So, 33 becomes way more with the available options.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or have got some settings messed up, but I've not been able to get any really good drive sounds with the FX8 drives or Fuzz into a clean amp. I'll admit straight up that my experience with real life drives is limited and I've only ever run a Suhr Shiba in front of an already crunchy amp to fatten it up and boost it for leads.

So far the Micro Amp, FET Boost and TS808 on the FX8 are doing that job for me, but I was quite looking forward to finding a drive pedal in the FX8 that might get me using the clean channel of my amp, but so far all the ones I've tried have been very fizzy.

As yet I've only played the FX8 through my H&K Grandmeister's Red Box out into a mixer and then headphones, so have yet to truly experience it, however the sounds should still be similar as I'll be DI'ing from my H&K into the PA when we gig.

Any tips for getting good sounds with the drives into clean amps?

I'll send you my "main" preset or just my drive blocks if you send me your Email. Mine are set up with my HK Tubemeister 36. I also run the Redbox out to FOH. On stage I've been using a Mesa Thiele with EV, but at home tried running the redbox out to an Alto ts110a with shockingly great results. Full tone at low volume.

It would be fun to do a comparison of a real pedal into an amp vs the fx8 dialed up to the same model, all other variables the same. I've got a tube screamer and have been meaning to give it a shot.
Here you'll find some samples for a blind test I'm doing on another forum
https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0BxZ1iBZmvsnfZnZpdnZTdU04T1k/edit
It's a comparison between a colorsound powerboost and the axe fx's modified 3-knob tube driver model (since there's not a colorsound model in the afx) both going into the hiwatt simulation on the axe. For every sample number you'll find an A and B version, obviously I won't tell you which is which ;)
More to come!

Back
Top Bottom