Output volume control question

Shredology

Experienced
So reading through the info included with austinbuddy's amp pack, he mentions not controlling volume with the output knob on the axe-fx, but rather controlling it at the end source. ie. the CLR's that I run in stereo. My issue is that in the house, the master volume knob on the CLR's is really inconveniently located.
Then I saw this: Palmer MONICON Passive Monitor Controller
Inserting this between the axe-fx and the CLR's gives me a huge volume knob on my mixing desk. The question is, is this just the same thing as using the axe-fx output 1 knob from a fidelity and s/n ratio perspective?
or is it better by allowing the axe-fx output 1 knob to stay at the noonish position?
Thoughts?
Is this too much cork sniffing????

Not sure if this will work for you, but I'm using my Fractal EV-1 expression pedal into Pedal 2. (Several of the Factory presets use Pedal 1 for wah, so that's why I selected Pedal 2)

Then Settings: Midi/Remote: Other: Output 1 Volume: Pedal 2

If I toe down, I'm full-volume; heel down quiet.

I just set this up, so the jury's still out, but so far it seems okay. No impact on the input or output "gain" grittiness; only lowers or raises volume, globablly.

Not sure if this will work for you, but I'm using my Fractal EV-1 expression pedal into Pedal 2. (Several of the Factory presets use Pedal 1 for wah, so that's why I selected Pedal 2)

Then Settings: Midi/Remote: Other: Output 1 Volume: Pedal 2

If I toe down, I'm full-volume; heel down quiet.

I just set this up, so the jury's still out, but so far it seems okay. No impact on the input or output "gain" grittiness; only lowers or raises volume, globablly.

Cool idea, thanks

For most monitors it don't makes a difference how loud the input gets feed. They sound the same with a loud or a low input signal, so you control the volume at the Axe-fx's output knob and that's ok.
Unfortunatly the CLR's to me are among the ones that sound better when there is some amount of signal at their inputs. It don't matters then how you lower that signal before it hits the CLR's inputs.

For most monitors it don't makes a difference how loud the input gets feed. They sound the same with a loud or a low input signal, so you control the volume at the Axe-fx's output knob and that's ok.
Unfortunatly the CLR's to me are among the ones that sound better when there is some amount of signal at their inputs. It don't matters then how you lower that signal before it hits the CLR's inputs.
The CLR has specific gain staging recommendations, if my memory is correct.

The CLR has specific gain staging recommendations, if my memory is correct.
They do:
Optimizing gain structure is an important step in minimizing noise andpreventing signal overload (clipping). There are three level controls on the panel of active CLR speakers. After connecting all the devices in your signal chain and powering up (remember CLR last on, rst off), follow the procedure below to insure optimal gain structure.

1. Set the Master and both Input level controls to their lowest (CCW) settings.

2. If you will be using two input signals, perform this step with the one you expect to be louder. (Note: You will hear little or no sound during this step.) Apply the hottest (loudest) signal you expect to generate.Increase the Input level control for that channel until you see the LEDadjacent to that input connector light up. Turn down the level until the LED goes out and never lights.

3. Adjust the Master level for the desired volume and the second Input level (if used) for the desired mix. There is no need to adjust the Input levels beyond this point. The amp has the ability to reach its maximum output level with the input level set as prescribed above. Overdriving the input by setting the input level too high will result in audible clipping.

All gear, in my experience, benefit from proper gain structure.

Back
Top Bottom