Output volume boost w Ext Control?

heykenny

I've been playing around with the FX8 and so far I'm digging it! I run everything straight into the amp with no effects loop. I generally have my amp set with just a touch of breakup and rely on pedals for dirt. So far it sounds great. Will have a chance to use it at volume at rehearsal tomorrow night.
My question:
In reading the manual I see that there is a way to set up an external control pedal to change the output volume without having to add a volume block. However it only seems to work with an expression pedal. I would love to be able to use a latching footswitch to toggle a 6db or so boost for solos.
I've searched the forum and have not been able to find anything. I can certainly accomplish it with a volume block but it would be great if I didn't need to sacrifice one to accomplish this.
Does anyone have any ideas how this could be done? TIA.

For boost I use a filter block, set to NULL. The only thing it does is boost the level 4 db, and I set up the Y state to boost 6 db. So when I need a boost for a solo, I hit the switch and if I need just a bit more I press and hold to get the Y setting.

There's other ways to control volume without dedicating a block though:

Scenes - each of the 8 scenes can have a different output volume.

Out Post Vol Incr and Decr - MIDI CC 35 and 36. This is pretty cool - each time you send CC 35, the unit increases volume slightly and automatically saves the new volume level to the preset. Decrease with CC 36. Great for leveling volume from preset to preset, but could also be used to manipulate volume on the fly. CCs can be sent via pedal switch input or midi controller.

For boost I use a filter block, set to NULL. The only thing it does is boost the level 4 db, and I set up the Y state to boost 6 db. So when I need a boost for a solo, I hit the switch and if I need just a bit more I press and hold to get the Y setting.

Out Post Vol Incr and Decr - MIDI CC 35 and 36. This is pretty cool - each time you send CC 35, the unit increases volume slightly and automatically saves the new volume level to the preset. Decrease with CC 36. Great for leveling volume from preset to preset, but could also be used to manipulate volume on the fly. CCs can be sent via pedal switch input or midi controller.

Are you discussing the Axe-Fx?

That's a great idea to use the X/Y states for two different level boosts!
As far as not using a block:
- I know the scenes can have different output volumes, but I would like to keep it as a separate control so I can kick it in no matter what other effects I have going.
- I saw the volume inc and dec capabilities too. But I do have an expression pedal hooked up for wah/etc, so I can only have one other pedal. And having to hit the pedal 6 times to get a 6db increase isn't ideal.

So maybe the only option is to have a second expression pedal and set the heel to a decent rhythm level and toe to boost for solos? With all the capabilities of the FX8 though I gotta think I'm missing something!

I think I used an SDD? drive with gain low as a boost in block 8. Different levels with X/Y. Works great, but a global boost assigned to another switch would be great so I can add reverb to my meat and potatoes preset. It's all I'm using now. There are FAS presets I want to copy to Bank Pa to set up presets for 12 string, polyphonic pitch shifting, U2, Rush, Zeppelin, funk, ambient and for other genres or artists. Need to hook it up to my computer

Back
Top Bottom