Output level weirdness

hillbilly

Inspired
Output level weirdness [SOLVED: it wasn't the Axe-Fx]

Played a show today...output 1 XLRs direct into the system with in-ears...and the left output of my Axe-Fx II was all over the place. Sometimes it would suddenly disappear...then reappear with a pop...and a couple of times it slowly ramped down in volume and back up. Stage crew replaced cabling and it was still happening somewhere before the split...in both the mains and thru the monitor console. I'm hoping and praying it was something downstream, or maybe a stage power issue (doubtful - it was a top-shelf system and crew, but one never knows, does one?).

It was a festival and we had to bug out pretty quick - no time for real troubleshooting - and we're on the road 12 hours tomorrow. Hopefully there will be an explanation apparent come Tuesday's gig. In the meantime, has anyone here experienced something like this? It's banged around in a trailer for a couple of years now and I'm worried something has fizzled on the output. I've got another week of shows before I get home and I really don't want to learn a lesson now about traveling with a backup (which I will do starting ASAP!).

Last edited:
What you describe to me sounds 100% like a loose contact. In almost all cases it's the cable, not the hardware.

But if you want to go sure nothing bugs out on the next gigs, use the 1/4" outs into the stage box instead of the XLR outs. At least then, should the problem persist, you can rule out the possibility of a faulty output jack on the Axe.

Thanks guys. Yeah, cabling is always my first go-to. It just was a bit more alarming after the crew replaced the XLR cable. And the signal slowly fading out and back in - strange.

Another thing could be that I'm upgrading the firmware at home to tweak patches, then downgrading again before hitting the road with tried and true presets. I've had a hiccup or two with that process in the past. We'll see what happens at the venue tomorrow....fingers crossed. Thanks for the replies! :)

Hey Bill,

If the left out doesn't work on the 1/4" outs, Yek's idea going mono will hopefully work and you can make it without the stereo effects. At least you know that right channel should hold. Hope you get it straightened out before the Galesburg gig starts.

Let me know next time you're back home. I've had my Axe rig for a couple of months now.

Doug

Just to button this thing up: gigged tonight and there was no problem. It must have been something down the signal path the other day. My Axe-Fx is absolved of any wrong doing. :)

Back
Top Bottom