Output Clipping issues

Maxxas

Hello all,

So, ive had my ultra for about 2 months but am only now getting time to mess with it. My wife had a baby and ive had surgery, so now that things have clamed down a bit and ive been able to spend time with my ultra, I am having an issue with the output clipping.

I have a FRFR setup and have the global power amp and cab sim on. Most of the patches I am making are just an amp and a cab thats it. Some of my patches are from the advise from the wiki site where they give you sample settings for the master vol and drive (wonderful info at that site). Some of my patches are very loud with NO clipping, but others, I have to turn down the output level to make it stop clipping. These patch are not nearly as loud as others that dont have clipping issues. How can I resolve this? I notice it most when I am playing a C bar chord and chugging on it. It gets a "woof" kinda sound. I have been messing with the advanced and geek controls of the amp and I cant seem to get that to go away. Im trying to get a very full, explosive sound. I dont want to much low end, but I like the tone to almost knock me over. I have been playing around with the Depth and Deep settings cause I like the fullness these add to my patch. I have not adjusted those setting very high at all, just enough to add some fullness to the tone.I just cant get rid of this clipping......any ideas??

Thanks all !!

Max

I've had similar issues with mine. Try this... press the Global button and lower the Out1 and Out2 gain levels by 6.0db. This took care of all but a few of the patches I've created or auditioned from AxeEdit. Hopefully this helps!

Turning down the global output levels doesn't really address the issues. I've learned to deal with it, but like the OP said some amps will get very loud with no clipping. If you take a blank all shunts patch, add just an amp & cab block, everything at default settings, a majority of them will clip. I've completely reset the unit to defaults across the board, the clipping still occurs.

I love the AxeFX, but I do wish that the amp models & cabs could be more consistent in volume, and be able to dial in stock amps and cabs without clipping. Turning down the Global output will take away headroom, you might be able to make it up with whatever rig you're running. I found with the sounds I tweaked for FRFR, when I added the FX loop pre-cab and sent Output 2 to the FX input jack on a couple of different 100w tube heads, I could not get enough output to drive them - sounded wimpy and thin. And I did crank the Global Out2 to max, and the front panel level.

tubetonez said:
I found with the sounds I tweaked for FRFR, when I added the FX loop pre-cab and sent Output 2 to the FX input jack on a couple of different 100w tube heads, I could not get enough output to drive them - sounded wimpy and thin. And I did crank the Global Out2 to max, and the front panel level.

The Axe has more than enough output level to drive anything sufficiently, balanced or unbalanced.

I had problems when using my Bogner XTC head in a 4CM setup, but it wasn't the Axe that didn't provide enough juice.

The levels of all my amp sims are set to minus values. It's just the way things work on the Axe.
I choose my loudest signal (that's an uncompressed clean tone) and I set its Level to a point where it doesn't clip, aftere engaging the wah and my "lead" Filter block (boosts the signal +5dB). I then decrease the Level a couple of dBs more. That's my reference level. I make sure that other presets aren't louder (perceived volume) than this one. Levels of all my amp sims vary between -2 and -18 dB. This doesn't mean I'm losing headroom. I can get as loud as I want.

Thanks for the replys.

What I ended up doing last night was turning down the master (its on the amp page all the way to the right) until it didnt clip anymore and used that as a point of referance for the patches I didnt have an issue to make all patches close to the same volume.

Thanks again all....

Max

Different sounds will give different outputs, even if what you're hearing doesn't seem to match up. For example clean tones will have bigger peaks compared to a high gain sound. So while a high gain sound might seem louder without clipping, it's a result of the natural compression from having more gain. Excessive low frequencies can also create clipping problems.

Back
Top Bottom