Output block in red

golfnut

I was watching a Rosh Roslin video and saw he was setting the output block level to not go in to the red. I looked at the output block in my preset and noticed its going way in the red. I lowered it to not go in the red but then I have to crank the output knob all the way up and its still not very loud. I don't have much left on the level to go up. And if I turn it up there it causes the output block to go in the red anyway. Is this right, the output block shouldn't be going in the red?

Keep in mind your output is probably at -4 right now for home “non professional” gear use. When you play out, it should be set ( in the IO” to +10. ( I leave mine there all the time and just make sure to be careful playing at home).

But I think he says you can tickle the red just like in the presets.

When I play live, I set my output at the halfway on the output 1 dial and FOH still has to dial me down. So much signal in there.

I was watching a Rosh Roslin video and saw he was setting the output block level to not go in to the red. I looked at the output block in my preset and noticed its going way in the red. I lowered it to not go in the red but then I have to crank the output knob all the way up and its still not very loud. I don't have much left on the level to go up. And if I turn it up there it causes the output block to go in the red anyway. Is this right, the output block shouldn't be going in the red?
Not very loud coming out of what? Speaker? What speaker?

Not very loud coming out of what? Speaker? What speaker?

FR12. I have the volume at noon the output at noon. If I set the output block to not go in to the red then I have to crank the FR12 all the way up and the output all the way up to get some volume.
I put it back the way I had it with out block on 4.0 then I'd get loud volume with the out on the FM9 at noon and the FR12 at noon but the out block goes way in to the red. Doesn't seem to be any clipping though.

Keep in mind your output is probably at -4 right now for home “non professional” gear use. When you play out, it should be set ( in the IO” to +10. ( I leave mine there all the time and just make sure to be careful playing at home).

But I think he says you can tickle the red just like in the presets.

When I play live, I set my output at the halfway on the output 1 dial and FOH still has to dial me down. So much signal in there.
-10 or +4...

Which Output are you using?

See previous comments regarding output mode.

Note that Output 3 is designed for unity gain, so won't be nearly as loud as Output 1 or 2 unless you crank it's Level control in the block.

Use the Leveling Tool in the editor and aim for the 0dB mark on the meter.

Red means you have 12 dB of headroom before you'll clip, so it's ok if it's red. Set your preset so that meter is peaking somewhere in the neighborhood of -6 dB to 6 dB.

Right now its set to peak at about +20db. If I set it to peak at +6 the volume is pretty low. I've got to turn the out knob almost full and the FR1 about 3/4. And thats at home. I'd likely not get much of a stage volume that way.

Right now its set to peak at about +20db. If I set it to peak at +6 the volume is pretty low. I've got to turn the out knob almost full and the FR1 about 3/4. And thats at home. I'd likely not get much of a stage volume that way.
Leveling presets is typically done by using the Amp block as opposed to the Output block... It's not a rule, but a suggested practice and the reason Amp block Level controls are in the Leveling tool.

Leveling presets is typically done by using the Amp block as opposed to the Output block... It's not a rule, but a suggested practice and the reason Amp block Level controls are in the Leveling tool.

I adjusted the out 1 block so that the meters were peaking about 6-8db. As soon as I raised the level in the amp block to compensate for the volume loss the meters in the outblock go back to peaking +20db. So it really doesn't matter where the level is adjusted. Its going to cause the out block to clip out.

Maybe I'm just looking at this all wrong. I now have the out block set to -15.0 and the meters peak at no more than +15db if I hit really hard but average about 6-8db. The amp block is set to 15.0. If I have the Out1 knob (where my guitar is plugged) at 2 o clock I've got enough volume for small gigs. Thats with my FR12 volume at noon. If I turn my FR12 volume to 1 or 2 o clock I have enough volume for any gig. Or if I keep my fr12 vol at noon and max the out knob its more than loud enough for any job. Is this the better way to do it?
Before I had my out block level and amp block level up high but maxing out on the meter. Is it ok if I ever max out the out 1 knob? I think everything actually sounds better with the out block meters not peaking so high in to the red.

Don't compensate in the preset. Compensate with the front panel Out knobs and your speaker's volume control.

Set the Out block's level to zero dB and use the Amp block level to get your preset roughly around the 0dB line on the meter. The Amp block level will vary with different models and gain settings.

Don't compensate in the preset. Compensate with the front panel Out knobs and your speaker's volume control.

Set the Out block's level to zero dB and use the Amp block level to get your preset roughly around the 0dB line on the meter. The Amp block level will vary with different models and gain settings.

Done this now. I seem to be getting this slowly.

Maybe I'm just looking at this all wrong. I now have the out block set to -15.0 and the meters peak at no more than +15db if I hit really hard but average about 6-8db. The amp block is set to 15.0. If I have the Out1 knob (where my guitar is plugged) at 2 o clock I've got enough volume for small gigs. Thats with my FR12 volume at noon. If I turn my FR12 volume to 1 or 2 o clock I have enough volume for any gig. Or if I keep my fr12 vol at noon and max the out knob its more than loud enough for any job. Is this the better way to do it?
Before I had my out block level and amp block level up high but maxing out on the meter. Is it ok if I ever max out the out 1 knob? I think everything actually sounds better with the out block meters not peaking so high in to the red.
Set the Output block to 0... Unless you're using Output 3 and need additional level, there's mostly no need mess with the Output block Level (my opinion).

@mr_fender covered it nicely.

Back
Top Bottom