Output 2. What am I doing wrong?

why does FM Edit allow building a shunt between both input and output?
It's simply part of the design of a layout. We're free to wire input to output, just as we are free to insert other blocks between them. We're just routing the signal from one place to another.

Consider these very simple layout variations and what they'd accomplish with just the ports. Then imagine adding other blocks:
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.45.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.46.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.47.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.47.26 AM.png

With this flexibility even the FM3 can create some amazingly powerful presets. They're all valid and legal layouts and if you wander through the factory presets and third-party preset packs you'll see many variations of them, like the one from one of Austin Buddy's packs below for the FX3.
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 12.00.43 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.47.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.47.26 AM.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.47.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.47.26 AM.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 1
It's simply part of the design of a layout. We're free to wire input to output, just as we are free to insert other blocks between them. We're just routing the signal from one place to another.
He's asking about getting output from an input block/jack. Since you can route an out block to an in block, he's saying that implies you should be able to get output from an input jack. You can create such a connection, but no, that won't produce output at an input block/jack.

Here's my attempt, probably in vain, to get this thread back on track: I believe Chris' excellent sleuthing has revealed the problem. The cable is plugged into the wrong jack.

Why wouldn't it? Signal flows from input to output. If you opt to put nothing in between that is your choice.

Why do you think it shouldn't allow that?
So earlier you said you cannot route a signal from input 2 to output 2 no matter what you do even if you put an amp block in between? Are you now saying you can though for the FM3 is not doable? The examples already shown are quite clear that yes you can connect an input to an output block and vise versa. All serve a specific function and is not in at all question though it was mentioned earlier as being a bit over the top. Or perhaps trying to create magic.

So earlier you said you cannot route a signal from input 2 to output 2 no matter what you do even if you put an amp block in between?
When you say, "Earlier you said..." (or anything that refers back to what someone allegedly said), use the Reply button from the post in which it was said, so someone doesn't have to go back and search through 4 pages to find it.
And when I say to use the Reply button, I don't mean the first time you hit it, to start your response (like you did above.) I mean, use it within your post (like I could right now), when you get to the part where you want to refer back to something previously said.
I don’t understand this question.
There are certainly uses for connecting an OUT block to an IN block. For example to create an effects loop.
Both of those quotes came from hitting the Reply, a 2nd & 3rd time.
Also, I don't usually say this, but you need to spend time with the manual. Your posts have been really confusing, and it looks to me like having at least a basic understanding of things would help you.

Why wouldn't it? Signal flows from input to output. If you opt to put nothing in between that is your choice.

Why do you think it shouldn't allow that?
He's asking about getting output from an input block/jack. Since you can route an out block to an in block, he's saying that implies you should be able to get output from an input jack. You can create such a connection, but no, that won't produce output at an input block/jack.

Here's my attempt, probably in vain, to get this thread back on track: I believe Chris' excellent sleuthing has revealed the problem. The cable is plugged into the wrong jack.
You hit the nail on the head GlennO. Thread too shouldn't have gotten this far off track but somehow it did. All of the wiring illustrations are all valid to me and was never in question at least not in my mind as I had seen them previously. However, when it was said that such a circuit configuration made no sense it begged the question why are you able to build it? And no you can't get an output signal unless you have some amplification in between IN/OUT. Geez!

When you say, "Earlier you said..." (or anything that refers back to what someone allegedly said), use the Reply button from the post in which it was said, so someone doesn't have to go back and search through 4 pages to find it.
And when I say to use the Reply button, I don't mean the first time you hit it, to start your response (like you did above.) I mean, use it within your post (like I could right now), when you get to the part where you want to refer back to something previously said.

Both of those quotes came from hitting the Reply, a 2nd & 3rd time.
Also, I don't usually say this, but you need to spend time with the manual. Your posts have been really confusing, and it looks to me like having at least a basic understanding of things would help you.
Agree that we can all use reading the manual now and then though if you prefer to spend hours digging through pages and not finding what you are looking for. But it would have been more productive to stick to the original problem the OP was having and that I too ran into rather that to go digging for theoretical this and that questions that had nothing to do with the OP's basic question only to complicate matters and confuse.

though if you prefer to spend hours digging through pages and not finding what you are looking for
The discussion isn't about advanced features. These routing issues here shouldn't take hours to comprehend. I'll certainly agree that for some topics it can be hard to find what you're looking for in the manual, but routing is covered pretty well, I think.

The discussion isn't about advanced features. These routing issues here shouldn't take hours to comprehend. I'll certainly agree that for some topics it can be hard to find what you're looking for in the manual, but routing is covered pretty well, I think.
Yes precisely my point. My real main issue is why can't the device come factory configured so you can plug your instrument in and have sound coming out of OUT 2 with minimum effort on the user's part. One should only need to pick a scene or build something simple to get sound without having to go into the settings menu. But hey, maybe I am wrong. Like I said, earlier it took me hours to discover one setting could make all the difference and the illustration drawing in the manual doesn't mention it. I am referring to what is shown on page 34 of the FM3 user manual. No mention of the Analog setting which is not the factory default setting.

it would have been more productive to stick to the original problem the OP was having and that I too ran into
the issue is that the solution you suggested had nothing to do with the OP.

the OP is getting signal from Out 1 but not Out 2 with Copy turned on.

your solution was to set Input 1 to Analog rather than USB. that is not a solution to this thread because the OP was getting signal from Out 1. if Input 1 was set to USB, he wouldn't have gotten signal from Out 1.

by default, Input 1 is set to Analog. so in your situation, at some point you changed it from Analog to USB, creating the issue you faced. this is not the issue in this thread. you basically "turned off" your guitar going into the device. that's not what's happening in this thread.

My real main issue is why can't the device come factory configured so you can plug your instrument in and have sound coming out of OUT 2 with minimum effort on the user's part.
the device does arrive like that.

to get sound from Out 2, you turn on Copy Out 1, or add an Out 2 block where you want in the grid. i would consider those things minimum effort.

the reason Copy isn't turned on automatically is because some people wire their rigs for 4 Cable Method or some other specific purpose. if Copy was on, they'd be getting the wrong type of signal from Out 2 and would have to go turn things off and reconfigure things. in general, it's better for Out 2 to not make any sound so there aren't any surprises or loud sounds. from there, every user just turns on what they need.

as i've said numerous times already, the solution to this thread is that the OP was plugged into Input 2, not Output 2. that's why no sound was coming from Output 2.

everything else has distracted from the solution and caused this thread to derail.

the issue is that the solution you suggested had nothing to do with the OP.

the OP is getting signal from Out 1 but not Out 2 with Copy turned on.

your solution was to set Input 1 to Analog rather than USB. that is not a solution to this thread because the OP was getting signal from Out 1. if Input 1 was set to USB, he wouldn't have gotten signal from Out 1.

by default, Input 1 is set to Analog. so in your situation, at some point you changed it from Analog to USB, creating the issue you faced. this is not the issue in this thread.

Wrong! My unit did not come set that way at all and rather set to USB CHANNELS 3/4. Hence my problem. I know is hard to follow but I did mention it several times.

the device does arrive like that.

to get sound from Out 2, you turn on Copy Out 1, or add an Out 2 block where you want in the grid. i would consider those things minimum effort.

This one setting was OK and I never said otherwise.

the reason Copy isn't turned on automatically is because some people wire their rigs for 4 Cable Method or some other specific purpose. if Copy was on, they'd be getting the wrong type of signal from Out 2 and would have to go turn things off and reconfigure things. in general, it's better for Out 2 to not make any sound so there aren't any surprises or loud sounds. from there, every user just turns on what they need.

as i've said numerous times already, the solution to this thread is that the OP was plugged into Input 2, not Output 2. that's why no sound was coming from Output 2.

everything else has distracted from the solution and caused this thread to derail.
Maybe I was one of the unlucky ones but if you do a reset like I did several times the settings remain the same.

No mention of the Analog setting which is not the factory default setting.
this is absolutely incorrect.

Input 1 set to Analog is the default, because you play your guitar through the device which needs Input 1 set to Analog.

Input 1 is set to Analog when you Reset System Parameters.

this is absolutely incorrect.

Input 1 set to Analog is the default, because you play your guitar through the device which needs Input 1 set to Analog.

Input 1 is set to Analog when you Reset System Parameters.
Okay have Beta5 b1 firmware running on the unit now and just did a reset (HOME + EDIT at power ON). Analog does show as the default only needing to set Output 2 Copy to Output 1. Beats the hell out of me why it was different when I first plugged it in unless a hotplug-in of the USB may have caused this setting to change? Any thoughts besides the hand of the boogie man?

Back up presets, Press-and-hold both EDIT and HOME at startup to bypass and reset the system settings, then try a clean firmware install. If still nothing, contact support as suggested. Is this a new unit purchased directly from FA? Has Output 2 worked in the past?
Thank you Sir for the minder. Did do a full a backup first before a full reset.

Maybe I was one of the unlucky ones but if you do a reset like I did several times the settings remain the same.

just did a reset ... Analog does show as the default
did you actually "reset several times" before like you said, or did you make it up?

i don't recall a bug that changed Input to USB on reset, so potentially, you resetting several times and it was set to USB really never happened.

i understand your intent here was to help, but if you're really not sure about something, or you even state it incorrectly (you originally said "set Output 2 to Analog vs USB"), or if you make stuff up, it can do way more harm than good.

helping here for almost 15 years now, i've learned that over time. i don't post if i don't know what i'm talking about, and if i'm unsure, i say that i'm unsure.

i'm not suggesting you stop posting or anything like that if it's being read into it, but just some suggestions for the future. this thread has definitely gone places.

this thread has definitely gone places.
Yes it has. It's also not a bad idea to hang back in the beginning, to get to know the guys. Chris & Unix know their shit when it comes to this gear, so if they say something, it's usually best to make sure you're certain about what you're about to post, especially if it conflicts with what they say.

Back
Top Bottom