Output 2 Vol Incr/Decr?

JazzMac251

Inspired
I'm using my Axe with an amp through one output and as an acoustic DI with another output. There are two issues I've been running into since doing this.

1) It's important to me to be able to change the overall output volume of patches in the AxeFX that run into my amp. The AxeFX has a great means of accomplishing this via the Vol Increment and Vol Decrement commands. These commands change the master level of the Output 1 channel, so anything that goes into Output 2 is unchanged. Output 2 is meant for going into the front of an amp, that's what I'm currently using, thus I'm not able to use the Vol Incr/Decr commands.

2) Since I'm using Output 2 to go to my amp, I'm using Output 1 as a DI for sending my acoustic guitar to the mixing board. To solve the issue in the previous paragraph, I could simply swap the outputs and have Output 1 go to my amp and Output 2 send the acoustic guitar signal. That would let me adjust overall patch volume for presents going into my amp via Vol Incr/Decr since, again, the amp would be fed by Output 1. Problem is, Output 2 doesn't have XLR outs, so it won't work well as a DI.

What I really need is some type of Vol Incr/Decr command for Output 2. I posted about this a while back, but that was several firmware updates in the past. I was hoping maybe this feature was added, or someone figured out a workaround in the meantime. I'm open to other solutions as well.

Thanks guys!

I have not tried but would a volume block in the end of chain to output 2 do it.

That let's me control volume, true, but some of my patches are wildly too loud or too soft - so much so that I'll have to have the volume pedal almost completely off to mix it properly. The idea is to get the patch in the ballpark with the Vol Incr/Decr commands, then fine tune it if necessary with my volume pedal

Use a simple DI box like all high end stages and sound companies do world wide. Now you have an XLR.

That's true, but the idea is to have as little additional gear setup as possible. If that's what I have to do then that's what I'll do, but I already have too much stuff to carry in and it setup takes longer than I'd like. Vol Incr/Decr commands for Output 2 seem like something that would be very useful to lots of people anyway.

My axe fx xl has midi ctrl # of 11 for output1 volume and ctrl # 12 for out put 2 volume.

The AxeFX 2 has that too, but that's more for attaching a controller to the outputs. Vol Incr/Decr are CC 35 and 36 and they have an entirely different function in mind that combines tap-by-tap volume change commands and a handy preset store command. This lets you change the volume of individual presets on a per-decibel level in a way that persists (for that preset) even after you've changed presets.

It's what you have to do. 6" 1/4 cable and cheap DI box velcro'd inside your rack. Done.

I am sorry I guess I do not understand your question. Are you trying to level inside of presets? or during live play?

Now that I'm getting into it, though, because of the lame, infuriating, barely-usable way spillover is "supported" by this device, leveling patches with output gain settings is pretty inadvisable. Your delays and reverbs dump into the new output section as you transition to a new patch. So, if you came from a very, very loud preset that had been tamed using the output gain slider (Vol Incr/Decr) and you're now going into very soft preset that's been boosted by the output gain slider...prepare to have your "spillover" rip your f*cking head off.

If you want to maintain consistency in "spillover" volume across preset changes, you have to do it by setting the output knobs on the blocks being spilled over themselves EXACTLY the same. Just another example of what a PITA spillover is with this box. So dysfunctional that it breaks other other features...

Cliff giveth, Cliff taketh away...

yeah it's unfortunate that spillover works the way it does. i turn it off. even then, because my presets are maxed out, i get glitches when using Scenes, even though my Bypass settings are set "correctly" for not hearing things when blocks are muted. just a split second while things change over.

Why not just go through and level all your patches to the same overall level (Axe has handy VU meters for this now) ? Takes a little time and effort, but its a one and done type of task.

I need to do it again now that I've got the FW18, but I went and set all my presets to the same overall levels, so I can go to any patch and not need to adjust the level of my monitors etc.

Having to mess with a vol incr/decrease and/or volume pedal each time I change a preset would sound maddening to me.

I think you should 1) level all your presets to a given preset, be it a clean patch etc, and 2) get a DI, you can get them for like $20 on Ebay. Get that an a foot long patch cord, and plug it into output 2, then tape it into your rack, case etc. Won't even know its there and you can then run that output right into the board

One of those things any good sound guy should have plenty off, but sometimes easier to just carry your own and not be stuck relying on others

yeah it's unfortunate that spillover works the way it does. i turn it off. even then, because my presets are maxed out, i get glitches when using Scenes, even though my Bypass settings are set "correctly" for not hearing things when blocks are muted. just a split second while things change over.

I've found that scenes actually give more of the expected "spillover" effect than the actual spillover setting, ironic as that is.

Basically I think to have a "real" spillover, at least as we'd envision it in our heads, would require 2 Axe units and an A/B switcher

Even a bypassed block passes "spillover" content. If you don't want that block to "spillover" into the next scene/preset, you have to remove it. Careful with that, though. The Axe will...store...remember...???...the "spillover" content from the blocks present in one scene/preset but missing in the next, then oh so generously dump that (now irrelevant) "spillover" into your outputs the first chance it gets once the missing blocks reappear. That little gremlin has bitten me in the ass more than once... God have mercy on your soul if the block has new delay time subdivisions, too.

Just another quirk of the Fractal "spillover" workaround.

Back
Top Bottom