Not a Bug Output 2 - level lower than Output 1 when copying

Petunia

Hey folks, I'm running FW 8.00. I have a bass gig this week, and I'm creating a preset that has one out (FOH) with a cab and the other (backline amp) with no cab.

Before I got going with the preset, I was messing around with Output 2 copying Output 1. Running Out 1 and Out 2 into separate tracks in Reaper, I see that Output 2 has a lower output level by about 6 db when copying Output 1 (with all knobs etc identical). This is with Output 1 at +4, and Output 2 at line level at +4. Both are sum L+R.

Now, if I add an Output 2 block, both outputs have the same level. This is also the case with stock presets (at least the one I tried, 120/Still Blue).

Check the Output 2 Type - this can be set to Line Level or Unity Gain. If you're set to Unity Gain, another parameter is available - an Output 2 Boost/Pad (0/6/12/18db).

Also, the Output 2 Copy only works if you don't have an Output 2 Block present.

It is possible your Reaper level mismatch is due to the Unity Gain/Line level thing?

Are you recording analog signals using a separate interface? If so, balanced XLR output of Output 1 will be 6 dB higher compared to the unbalanced 1/4" output of Output 2. This is normal and due to the doubled differential signal of the balanced XLR output. The receiving XLR input recombines them, doubling the signal level (+6 dB) You can either compensate with the physical Out knobs or using the input gain on your interface or in Reaper.

Are you recording analog signals using a separate interface? If so, balanced XLR output of Output 1 will be 6 dB higher compared to the unbalanced 1/4" output of Output 2. This is normal and due to the doubled differential signal of the balanced XLR output. The receiving XLR input recombines them, doubling the signal level (+6 dB) You can either compensate with the physical Out knobs or using the input gain on your interface or in Reaper.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was doing. And also, pretty cool that the Fractal folks have compensated for this when you add an Output 2 block rather than copying Output 1.

Back
Top Bottom