Output 2 cabling question

thehydeout

Experienced
I would like to go from Output 2 (1/4") to XLR inputs on a mixer (no 1/4" line ins) and wondering if I can use cables that are XLR to TRS. I know the outputs are TRS but not sure if there would be any kind of impedance problem doing this. Such as making cables like this pic:

pinout.gif
Thanks!

I'd be interested to see what an expert says. From looking at the manual all 1/4" outputs are unbalanced so I don't believe you can use TRS to XLR. The TRS connection is for FAS' Humbuster technology. I'm betting you'll have to use a couple of DI boxes or a single stereo one.

I would recommend that you use Output 1's XLR connection to go to the mixer. These are the only balanced connections available.

i don't know the electronics or physics of it, but i've done that with no issues for years. i think if anything, there is slightly less volume output using TRS as opposed to TS on the Axe side.

All the 1/4" outs are low impedance but unbalanced so that explains why it works but being unbalanced the cables can pick up more noise depending upon their length and RFI in any given location.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and made my cables. I'm already using Out 1 to the mixer. I'm just experimenting with some things in my home setup and want to run Out 2 to the mixer also. It's an X32 and the only way to run 1/4" to it is to the Aux ins. I don't see how it would but I just wanted to be sure I'm not going to fry something. Testing 1, 2, 3....!

Just to verify, Hyderipper and Chris, you're saying that you're having good success using a TRS out of Output 2 to an XLR straight into the board, right? Is there a Humbuster-ready cable designed like this that you know of?

Just to verify, Hyderipper and Chris, you're saying that you're having good success using a TRS out of Output 2 to an XLR straight into the board, right? Is there a Humbuster-ready cable designed like this that you know of?
a TRS to XLR adaptor or cable is not Humbuster. it does work though, no problems when i've ever done it. i would guess that a TS to XLR would be "better" but like i said i don't know the engineering behind why it works.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and made my cables. I'm already using Out 1 to the mixer. I'm just experimenting with some things in my home setup and want to run Out 2 to the mixer also. It's an X32 and the only way to run 1/4" to it is to the Aux ins. I don't see how it would but I just wanted to be sure I'm not going to fry something. Testing 1, 2, 3....!

We also use an X32. You said you were already running the Output 1 XLR to the board, but didn't say why you were trying to get a second identical signal to your board. With all the routing options in the X32, you might be able to accomplish your goal by routing your XLR input to the board to a mix bus for whatever you're trying to do with the separate input from the Axe Output 2.

I don't know of any pre-made like the diagram I posted. There my be though.

We also use an X32. You said you were already running the Output 1 XLR to the board, but didn't say why you were trying to get a second identical signal to your board. With all the routing options in the X32, you might be able to accomplish your goal by routing your XLR input to the board to a mix bus for whatever you're trying to do with the separate input from the Axe Output 2.

This is because I run a PEQ on my Out2 to compensate for my wedges not being too flat. In my home setup I wanted to be able to control all my levels with my iPad X32 app so I have Out2 from the Axe going to separate outs on the X32 that feed my Matrix amp powering my wedges. Out1 is for the mains in the studio monitors. And like I said, just fiddling with different things. It's working quite well though. And you're right, the routing options in that mixer are numerous.

Back
Top Bottom