Output 1 at Mic Signal Level?

badmagick

Inspired
Sorry for the run on here...

I use out 1 to FOH normally. I set it at around 11 o’clock just based on conversations throughout this forum. I always warn the sound guy that it’s a hot signal. Haven’t had any problems yet. Always been fine.
However...
I was talking to a pretty reputable sound guy from my area a couple days ago. He was voicing concerns a bit about how modelers are kind of a pain in multi-band lineups. Like 4 or 5 band lineups. Where he used to be able to just move a mic, he now has to worry about major changes in input levels. He asked if it was possible to find the equivalent mic level out and use that in multi band types of shows. I haven’t done one of those types of shows in quite a while so it hasn’t really been a concern for me. But it made me wonder if anybody has done this and how it has worked out. Or, is it even possible? I would guess you could mic a real cab and find a reasonable stage level and meter it in a DAW then set a similar level with the Fractal? Anybody run into this?

It’s a pain to adjust one gain knob on a mixer. I’m sure he doesn’t adjust anything else.

If you want, turn down the Gain in the Global Graphic EQ. Maybe down 6dB or more to give him the weak signal he desires.

I've found that setting the nominal output level to -10 dbV works better with live mixers. It's in Setup -> IO -> Levels.

It’s a pain to adjust one gain knob on a mixer. I’m sure he doesn’t adjust anything else.

I do agree with you. Was really more of a curious question. I just like to work with people to make things as easy as possible. I think some people have real hot signals from the modelers. If there’s mic’d Amps plus a couple different guys with their output levels at different extremes I can see it being a bit of an issue. I watch the sound guys rushing around to get the turnover done and it’s just another thing to deal with.

He’s a good dude and was really just having a conversation to try and find a solution. They were more of observations than complaints. But the conversation made me want to be prepared for those type of shows. They can be pretty chaotic during the turnover. Would be nice to say, “just unplug that mic and stick the cable here” and be done with it...if that’s possible...

I do agree with you. Was really more of a curious question. I just like to work with people to make things as easy as possible. I think some people have real hot signals from the modelers. If there’s mic’d Amps plus a couple different guys with their output levels at different extremes I can see it being a bit of an issue. I watch the sound guys rushing around to get the turnover done and it’s just another thing to deal with.

He’s a good dude and was really just having a conversation to try and find a solution. They were more of observations than complaints. But the conversation made me want to be prepared for those type of shows. They can be pretty chaotic during the turnover. Would be nice to say, “just unplug that mic and stick the cable here” and be done with it...if that’s possible...
Try what I said.

It would seem that if different amps and cabs are being used, there would be the same basic issue: Having to compensate for volume differences from rig to rig. I would presume in those cases he would just adjust the gain, not sure how it's different with a modeler.

I do believe we, as users of modelers, can help sound engineers by first communicating with them and secondly, use a volume pedal/control to bring the signal in gradually instead of having everything wide open and run the risk of blasting the PA with a hot signal.

Here are inline pads at Sweetwater - You probably want to go for ~40 dB or so. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=inline+pad.

It is definitely a problem, if the there is just an SM57 on stage, and they just move from cab to cab. If someone just takes the cable from the SM57 and plugs it in the modeller. The signal will suddenly be 40 dB too loud. The soundguy could most likely just turn down, or even better, as modellers become the live standard, they could have a separate guitar channel for use with modellers.

or even better, as modellers become the live standard, they could have a separate guitar channel for use with modellers.

Not necessary. The Axe-Fx III’s nominal output level defaults to -10 dB just for this reason.

I find running through a nice transformer-based DI box knocks the level down to about what FOH expects from an amp mic, with the added benefit of solving potential ground loop/buzz issues before they happen.

-10 dBV is still quite a bit hotter than an SM57

Depends on the loudness of the signal from the speaker cabinet.

IMHO there’s no need for additional gear to pad the signal at al. It’s all there in the box.

Back
Top Bottom