Output 1 at mic level?

charley

Hi friends!

New AxeFx 3 user here. I’m wondering if it is possible to set either of the Main XLR Outs to mic level, to run into a 1073 style mic pre for recording? Thanks!

Just so I'm clear, are you trying to a) reduce the FX3's output level to something low enough to safely run into a mic preamp, or b) literally drop it all the way down to the level of a microphone, such that the preamp can bring it all the way back up to line level? The latter would involve adding something like 40db of preamp gain.

Last edited:
Hi friends!

New AxeFx 3 user here. I’m wondering if it is possible to set either of the Main XLR Outs to mic level, to run into a 1073 style mic pre for recording? Thanks!
there is no setting for Mic Level specifically.,

you can start with the physical Out knob all the way down, set your Pre to what you intend, then slowly bring up the Out 1 level.

the Axe is intended to send Line level or close to it, but turning down the output could do what you want.

I run a TG2 chandler preamp my chain is axe-output 1 ->TG2 ->interface. I adjust the volume accordingly. I like the preamp in front from my ears it lessons the digital brittleness and warms it up. Gives it a more live, vintage feel. My biggest complaint about the axe is that it sounded to digital the preamp fixed that.

The only way I can answer that is it sounds perfect all the time in your face, no warmth - the preamp changes that for me.

listen to song on a record player - compare that to the same song using mp3 or similar

The only way I can answer that is it sounds perfect all the time in your face, no warmth - the preamp changes that for me.

listen to song on a record player - compare that to the same song using mp3 or similar

If you record the output of the record player to a digital file and play it back you would not be able to tell the difference. Digital does not have a sound. That's the whole point. If you want a warmer sound, there are countless ways to do that. Digital has nothing to do with it.

I run a TG2 chandler preamp my chain is axe-output 1 ->TG2 ->interface. I adjust the volume accordingly. I like the preamp in front from my ears it lessons the digital brittleness and warms it up. Gives it a more live, vintage feel. My biggest complaint about the axe is that it sounded to digital the preamp fixed that.

Any analog warmth you add is likely to be lost in all the noise you're creating by severely attenuating followed by amplification. Inserting a preamp at the end of the chain is an odd way to add analog warmth. If you want to put something at the end of the processing chain, you should be using something like this:

https://reverb.com/p/manley-labs-variable-mu-stereo-tube-compressor-limiter

Last edited:
There are a lot of suggestions about digital vs warmth, but the main goal is you get a result that you like. If a preamp does it, cool, you’re done.

There are ways to do it in the box, and that’s why these suggestions are coming. But I think with all of them is an unsaid sort of “if you’re willing to try this” nudge of positive help.

At the end of the day, whatever gear gives your sound and you have that sound now, that’s the best way to do it. But there are always other ways, and some speak passionately about it, which may end up sounding curt or judgmental. Many ways to reach a similar end result. Do what works!

Back
Top Bottom