Out of character amps you’ve connected with

Hopper_

I was browsing some stock presets for fun and stumbled across a preset for the USA JPIIC Green and was blown away at how good it sounded. So good that I made it the second amp to the ODS 100 Clean preset I’ve been using (and loving). The ODS 100 Clean + JPII green channel combo has been so so good for me.

I play pop/funk ala Vulfpeck and I would never have thought to even try a John Petrucci amp model had I not accidentally stumbled upon its glory.

What are some unconventional (for your style) amp models that have “clicked” with you?

I’ve been using the Deluxe Reverb vibrato quite a bit. Guitar, Klon, amp, 412 cab. For classic rock-ish gain levels. Guess that’s no surprise for most but it was for me. I always thought Marshalls were it but I’m not using Marshalls even though we have a bunch.

Last edited:
All the amps I use are unexpected. I've mostly used Mesa and PRS amps IRL. Now I'm playing a plexi model, AC30, Dumble. Never thought I would be into these.

I'd been rocking a real Mesa Mark IV for more than a decade and have never liked how I sound through various Marshalls. The real ones I've played all have this blocky character that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

The JVM model really surprised me, the Dirty Shirley too. Never thought I would dig those tones that I disliked for so long. The Hot Kitty also purrs and cuts amazingly with P90s

Back
Top Bottom