Out 1 Into Power Amp Cabinet Instead of Out 2 With FX Block?

dweiskopf

Inspired
Hi all:

This may have been asked before, but I can't find a direct answer on the forum. I've been using Out 2 from my Axe-FX II in to a VHT 50/2/50 (stereo) into two Marshall cab (L and R) for backline, usually mic'd for FOH instead of Out 1 to FOH (though have sometimes sent Out 1 to FOH).

My question is: it can be a real chore with some patches to rearrange the patches to have the FX Block to send the pre-cab signal to Out 2 (even with leaving the amp sims on). Has anyone had experience simply taking Out 1 direct into a (tube) power amp and then into a cab, rather than the 'proper' way of adding the FX block and sending to Out 2?

I know I've read it can have some affect like and EQing and that this can lead to ear fatigue of the listeners in some opinion, and more importantly, it may not cut through the band mix well. I'm not sure as it's hard to test with the rest of the guys playing and watching me fiddle around (it's one thing to do by myself, but harder to test the 'cut through the mix' issue). It would be a lot less complicated to do this.

As this is for LIVE gigs, not studio recording, I'm specifically concerned with that environment, and not the nuances of a recording session....

Any thoughts/experiences would be hugely appreciated! Thanks!!

\M/

If you are using Out2 now with no FXL blocks inserted, you must have Output2 Echo>Output1 on, in which case there is absolutely no difference between them that I am aware of. Nothing improper about using Output1 out to your backline cab rig, or for anything else for that matter. Whatever works. It is not like the Inputs, where you want to be sure to use the Instrument input for guitar.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I should have been more clear. Currently, I am using the FX Send block. But, I'm upgrading to FW 19, and also cleaning things up and it's been a real pain to try to rearrange all the patches to put the cab block at the end -- it can be actually hard in some cases. So, I'm wondering what people think of sending OUT 1 to the VHT Power Amp to the Marshall Cab and mic'ing that (which would be the same chain as if sending to FOH, which I might simultaneously do if the sound man prefers that and my cab is for stage volume). Thoughts?

Will this sound horribly? Not cut through the mix? Thanks so much!!

Out2 itself sounds no different than Out1. If there are Cab blocks in your presets make sure Cabinet Modeling is Bypassed globally. You do not have to move them.

If you run your signal to your Amp/Cab thru active Cab blocks it will sound horrible.

Once again, there is nothing special about Out1, it's just what blocks you're sending your signal thru before you get there.

Disable Cab modeling and use Out1, by all means, but you will not be able to send that to FOH.

Micing you Cab works great, nothing wrong with that, but if you want to be able to send a direct signal to FOH, you have to go back to the FXL block and have 2 separate sends--one with a (active) cab block and one without. You can achieve either using either Out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom