OS X Driver Issue

Mac Dual Quad core pro with 10.83
Pro Tools 10.3.5

Used as interface. In a matter of a short period of time cracking and crushing then reset buffer settings.

Thanks for getting onto this!

I have a mid 2009 macbook pro with 10.8.3 and the latest axe drivers, although I had the same problem on snow leopard. I get pops and crackles on playback of any source through USB. This is a little more prominent while listening to music with large dynamic range e.g. classical music or raw unmastered recordings. Also, everything played through USB sounds like a ring modulator after perhaps 30 minutes of playback and I need to restart in order to continue.

I also have a mac pro (2006 I think) running the last version of Snow Leopard which had the same problem with pops and crackles the last time I used it with the axe. It's been a year or so though (got another interface) - this may have been prior to the most recent axe drivers.

I have always been running everything at the correct sample rates and all that too, btw.

Hey guys

Im running a Retina Macbook Pro with 10.8.3 i7 2.6 w 8gb ram, latest drivers and Protools 10 and yamaha HS80M monitors, getting the same problems as above with the popping, digital/distorted and also ring modulator/phaser type sound when trying to record. Also getting the CPU usage alert when trying to track a stereo track with only a click track and 1 audio track, surely this must not be right?? I was thinking of getting a separate sound card (focusrite saffire 40 Pro) to try help solve this problem, maybe I should wait until I see what Fractals solution is first.

It would be great if Fractal got to the bottom of this. If I want things to work reliably I hook the Axe II into my RME UFX via AES and it's great. When I go USB directly to one of my Macs, my experience is similar to those described above. It usually works for some period of time and then goes whacky with digital distortion creeping in. I've stopped using it direct in except for situations where it's not critical to work continuously.

I don't notice any recurring issues with using my RME UFX or Presonus 16.0.2 interfaces, so I assume it's a FAS driver issue.

I am an Axe noob and will be getting my Axe Fx II in a couple of months - done deal. I will be using my Axe for recording and live work.

So that I understand for recording purposes, we can plug the Axe into any audio interface and then take the interfaces output into Logic 9 with no issues. Correct?

We just cant "currently and reliable" use the Axe as an audio interface? No big thang for me!

I am an Axe noob and will be getting my Axe Fx II in a couple of months - done deal. I will be using my Axe for recording and live work.

So that I understand for recording purposes, we can plug the Axe into any audio interface and then take the interfaces output into Logic 9 with no issues. Correct?

We just cant "currently and reliable" use the Axe as an audio interface? No big thang for me!

I use the Axe into Garageband via USB direct with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks Kidsfeet! I know you don't have Logic Pro. Any issues with the Axe as an interface or direct USB inside of Logic Pro 9? By the time I get my Axe this will probable have been fixed.

On an Apple side note: On Apples main page they are counting down to the 50 billionth app sold... Think about them coins. $1.99 times 50 billion hits... All the way to the bank.

Unfortunately, yes... Some of us have the issues with Logic and direct USB recording.

Personally I gave up trying and dont use it for direct USB as It has never worked properly in the 20 months I have had my II.... So I use a separate interface with no problems.

Having said that, others seem to have been more successful with direct USB recording..: so it would be worth a try... Hopefully you will be in the working camp.

Last edited:
Same here on a new iMac 27" OSX 10.8.3- connect Axe FXII through USB. Use with Logic.
Crackle. have to restart. After a while happens again.

Also:
AE loses connection with the Axe FXII every 10 minutes or so.
Designing presets in AE won't work. Put some amps and some cabs in there an at one point the whole preset goes shunt. No sound at all while all the levels are up in the preset. Change to other presets and there is sound. Go back to the newly designed and saved preset and there is no sound. Somehow AE tells the preset to go shunt all the way. But everything is connected, virtual cables and all and all levels are up. Very weird.

Hope this can be fixed..soon. It's impossible to find any workflow with this equipment now like it is.

Same issues as others have said.

On my iMac OS X 10.8.3, when using the Axe-II with Logic &/or as main sound source, I get distortion/crackle after a short time and I have to restart the Axe & everything else to get things back to normal. After a little while it happens again.

As long as I don't use the Axe-II as my audio interface, my iMac works perfectly with no issues.

Please fix this. I would really appreciate it!!!

Thanks in advance....

Same here on a new iMac 27" OSX 10.8.3- connect Axe FXII through USB. Use with Logic.
Crackle. have to restart. After a while happens again.

Also:
AE loses connection with the Axe FXII every 10 minutes or so.
Designing presets in AE won't work. Put some amps and some cabs in there an at one point the whole preset goes shunt. No sound at all while all the levels are up in the preset. Change to other presets and there is sound. Go back to the newly designed and saved preset and there is no sound. Somehow AE tells the preset to go shunt all the way. But everything is connected, virtual cables and all and all levels are up. Very weird.

Hope this can be fixed..soon. It's impossible to find any workflow with this equipment now like it is.

same here!!!

I REALLY HOPE THEY FIX IT VERY SOON !!!!.... for the Money we spend we should expect this!

Axe Edit is useless since i bought this expensive Stuff.... and that was one of the reasons i bought Axe... :-(

I'm very disappointed and also told that G66.... should write a review in our Music Magazine...

Recording over USB & using AXE Edit doesn't work! still since ????

Man this is professional Audio Equipment and not really cheap so you should expect they fix it soon but how long do we wait now ???

Last edited:
Hello World! (my first post here I think!).

I would like to add something to the discussion as I have had problems on the Mac side with the current USB driver. Note - I have not had any issues for simple transfers (sysex and firmware) when using Fractal Bot. Upgrading Axe FX II firmware has been flawless and simple every time so far. But I did have an issue and opened a support case with Fractal for USB driver issues for recording with Pro Tools.
Below is my current environment and my issue. If anyone has any thoughts or assistance it would be appreciated!
Thanks!
dave
leagueofkruger's channel - YouTube

***********************************************************************************
My environment:
- new Axe FX II direct from Fractal Audio
- iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8
- Pro Tools 9.0.6
- Fractal Mac Axe Fx II driver from website (July 27, 2012)

Having a number of issues recording directly via USB from Axe FX II to Pro Tools. I've searched some forums and found mention of a possibly buggy driver and a requirement to upgrade OS? I don't want to do this unless absolutely necessary as I would need to upgrade Pro Tools as well to be compliant with Mountain Lion.

Just wondering if there is a quick guide to configuring Pro Tools (9.x) or the MIDI Setup applet in OSX (10.6.8). When I installed the fractal driver, I see two Axe FX II interfaces, one out and one in. SHouldn't this be one? And creating an "aggregate" device seems to be accepted, but when going into Pro Tools, it will not allow me to record anything. Various messages to the effect of the device not compatible at 48khz even tho the session is set for 48khz.

********************************************************************************

Note, my ticket has been closed. I did receive a response from Fractal support very very quickly saying the bug was with Apple, not with Fractal. But I'm hoping this is moving forward to resolution?? I am following the recommendation of support and using the analog outputs of the Axe FX II instead of the USB port for recording.

Hello,
so now i had time to figure things out.

First i wiped my HD on my Mac Mini Server 2013 2.3 GHz i7 8 GB Ram
Install fresh new Mountain Lion 10.8.3
Install Fractal Mac USB Driver 2012
Install Axe Edit
Reboot
Connect Axe-FX with USB to the Mac Mini
! NO other Driver or Software DAW etc installed !
Open Axe Edit - connected to Axe-FX ok
Edit some Patches Save them etc. play some stuff
after ca 10 min Axe Edit looses connection to Axe-FX
get also some Processor Overload Warning on Axe-FX
Quit Axe Edit and Restart but no connection to Axe-FX... tryed several times...
Unpower Axe-FX and Power On... restart Axe Edit connection ok
... do some edits play around ...
after ca 11 min Axe Edit looses connection...

conclusion:
This time there is no DAW or other Driver Problem because there is nothing installed !!!
So other reported there had no issue with Firmware 9.x and before on 10.8.3
The Problem seams to be FW10 related.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with Mac OS or Hardware or DAW.

Hope this helps to figure out where the problem is... we need a fix quick plz

thx

i finally got the "crackling" and "Distorted" play back last night for the first time. i've had my axe fx ii since january and never had a problem plugging straight into my mac(10.7.5) via usb to garageband until last night, maybe it is a bug with the latest updates, it freaked me out cause it had never happened before and i just thought i was lucky

to everyone:
i think it's best to post here the Mac Model and other Details like this:

Mac Model: Mac Mini Model 2013 2.3GHz 8GB Ram
Mac OS : Mountain Lion 10.8.3
Installed Audio related Drivers: RME Driver Fireface UFX or other...
Installed DAW and Version: Logic 9.1.8

Issues:

Unfortunately, yes... Some of us have the issues with Logic and direct USB recording.

Personally I gave up trying and dont use it for direct USB as It has never worked properly in the 20 months I have had my II.... So I use a separate interface with no problems.

Having said that, others seem to have been more successful with direct USB recording..: so it would be worth a try... Hopefully you will be in the working camp.

+1

Axe-Fx --> USB --> MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard) --> Reaper

USB was never rock solid for me. A couple months ago it started dropping out. I attribute this to me changing audio settings (and not really knowing what I'm doing).

Now I'm using Output1 into a Motu Track16 interface (see link in sig). I didn't get the Motu strictly for the Axe-FX, but it's nice to have everything in one interface. It works well. :)

same here!!!

I REALLY HOPE THEY FIX IT VERY SOON !!!!.... for the Money we spend we should expect this!

Axe Edit is useless since i bought this expensive Stuff.... and that was one of the reasons i bought Axe... :-(

I'm very disappointed and also told that G66.... should write a review in our Music Magazine...

Recording over USB & using AXE Edit doesn't work! still since ????

Man this is professional Audio Equipment and not really cheap so you should expect they fix it soon but how long do we wait now ???

Amen.
That's what you buy and that's what it says on the box. Axe FXII: USB connect with two way signals, reamping, windows, OSX, Axe Edit for hands free editing...
I have been patient and I try to remain positive but more and more it seems like a scam. I'm sitting here with 2300 euros worth of modeling equipment wondering how to record guitars for my next cd.

>I'm sitting here with 2300 euros worth of modeling equipment wondering how to record guitars for my next cd.<

While you're busy wondering, you might spend a moment wondering how people continue to record CD's using their Fender, Mesa, Marshall, or Vox amps. None of these amps have working USB interfaces, either. Only "analog outputs"... called speakers. To record them on on a CD requires another analog transducer... called a "microphone".

But even the analog microphone requires another analog piece of gear... called a "mic preamp". And THOSE things don't have USB outputs either.

It's a wonder that anyone manages to record CD's using all that analog stuff... right?

Seriously for a moment... the analog outs from the AxeFx sound as good as you'll ever need for CD recording purposes.

Back
Top Bottom