Original '59 Les Paul

prometh

Power User
Probably the only person here who could afford one would be Cliff. If he's reading, do you have one? And, if so, would you be willing to post a few strums in each pickup position for us to tone match with?

Wouldn't do you any good. You can't tonematch guitars accurately, there are way to many other things besides EQ that affect the sound.

No, not accurately, since it's an instrument as opposed to a machine (amp), but it still does a lot more than "no good". I tone matched a Strat and it sounds really good

No, not accurately, since it's an instrument as opposed to a machine (amp), but it still does a lot more than "no good". I tone matched a Strat and it sounds really good

I'd love to hear some samples. I made an attempt a while back but it didn't sound very good. I'm going to make another go at it with the hi-res tone match. Would love to hear your results though.

There are good & bad sounding guitars from every year. Things just become overhyped & take on a life of their own.

I'm sure in a blind test even some 2012 Epiphone Les Paul's would beat some '59 Gibson Les Paul's.

Human beings just need things to freak out over!

I've played four 1959 Les Pauls in my life, one was great, two average and one not so much. It's a myth they are all heavenly.

When you tone match a guitar the only way to use that tone is via a piezo so you are not coloring the tone of tone match with your current guitar.

If tone match can work with a different sounding amp, it can work with a different sounding guitar. Accuracy of such is mentioned above.

Piezo's aren't accurate either as the positioning is off, so the pick attack and muting will be different. This is where the Variax and similar guitars fail, imo.

You are proposing plugging a guitar into a pseudo guitar, with the latter being affected by the former. In theory a piezo is a flat signal.

Flat is one thing, but accurate is another. What we really need are full-range flat-response neck/middle/bridge position pickups.

Which you'd achieve by having three presets, or one with some sort of variable EQ that maybe you'd control with a CC.

I've played four 1959 Les Pauls in my life, one was great, two average and one not so much. It's a myth they are all heavenly.....

I've had occasion to play only two '59 LP's. One was great sounding though by no means a 'holy grail'. The other was a good sounding guitar and no more. There's no doubt that truly remarkable examples exist. I have to concur though - being made in 1959 doesn't bring its own 'mojo'.

Personally I dig the '59 over the reissue in the posted video. I can't say that one is better than the other. I can say that the '59 as recorded would be a better fit than the reissue for how & what I play.

I have nothing to add regarding the tone matching of guitars as I have never attempted to do so. Interesting discussion. :)

There are good & bad sounding guitars from every year. Things just become overhyped & take on a life of their own.

I'm sure in a blind test even some 2012 Epiphone Les Paul's would beat some '59 Gibson Les Paul's.

Human beings just need things to freak out over!

i paid $429 for a les paul copy.. and sold my les paul

THEN i bought a jap strat for $500 and put some SD pu's in it and sold my strat and bought an axe 2 with plenty of change!

the point being.. they sounded better than the original

Back
Top Bottom