Organic sounding Axe-FX II (USA Lead +), I love this box...!

ninjazebra

I've used the Axe-FX since early 2012, and sometimes it still blows me away how many different sounds I'm getting from it. I played some of my own music last week, and made a quick preset with the Mark IV amp, and some cab IRs from Cab Pack 10.

The first one's called "Mike", after Mr. Landau. It's also a bit Brian Blade inspired:

And one other, called "Getting There".

We also did Blue In Green, which turned out quite nice:

I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
I've used the Axe-FX since early 2012, and sometimes it still blows me away how many different sounds I'm getting from it. I played some of my own music last week, and made a quick preset with the Mark IV amp, and some cab IRs from Cab Pack 10.

The first one's called "Mike", after Mr. Landau. It's also a bit Brian Blade inspired:

And one other, called "Getting There".

We also did Blue In Green, which turned out quite nice:

I hope you enjoy!

This is all as tasty as the day is long, Ninja! - You have reaffirmed my belief that the Mesa amps are perfect for Strats! Sounded like you held some dynamics with the guitar volume control on Blue In Green, that was beautiful, man! Can you share any more about your settings and IR choice from the Cab Pack 10?

Thank you for your nice comments!

This is all as tasty as the day is long, Ninja! - You have reaffirmed my belief that the Mesa amps are perfect for Strats! Sounded like you held some dynamics with the guitar volume control on Blue In Green, that was beautiful, man! Can you share any more about your settings and IR choice from the Cab Pack 10?

Thank you. I did use the volume pedal a lot, tried to create some tension and release :)
I try lots of amp models, but I always return to the Mesa amps, and I used to have a Mark IV combo, so it was a really nice experience to get these sounds. I don't have my Axe in front of me, but I do remember the basics. The cabinets used and mixed together in Cab Lab are:
  • 2x12 Fuzzbomb (57C and 121 Rev B)
  • 2x12 TX Star (160 B)
  • 1x12 G12T (121 B)
  • 4x12 Fractal GB (160 2)
All from Cab Pack 10, if I'm not mistaken. Mixed differently for left and right channels, to create an interesting stereo field.
As for the Mesa EQ, I think I have both the Mid gain and the Pull bright on. Can't remember the exact settings, I can post them when I have the unit in front of me.

Very nice feel!

Even if I didn't saw your name I could have sweared that you were norwegian.

Funny the only thing that comes to my mind when Landau is mentioned is a certain sound from the 80/90s. I never thougth about him as doing musical lines or what his own music might sound like.

Thank you for your nice comments!

Thank you. I did use the volume pedal a lot, tried to create some tension and release :)
I try lots of amp models, but I always return to the Mesa amps, and I used to have a Mark IV combo, so it was a really nice experience to get these sounds. I don't have my Axe in front of me, but I do remember the basics. The cabinets used and mixed together in Cab Lab are:
  • 2x12 Fuzzbomb (57C and 121 Rev B)
  • 2x12 TX Star (160 B)
  • 1x12 G12T (121 B)
  • 4x12 Fractal GB (160 2)
All from Cab Pack 10, if I'm not mistaken. Mixed differently for left and right channels, to create an interesting stereo field.
As for the Mesa EQ, I think I have both the Mid gain and the Pull bright on. Can't remember the exact settings, I can post them when I have the unit in front of me.
Thanks for the IR list, man! I appreciate your posting these IRs, you mixed up a great sound formula. If you get the chance to pass along the amp settings, that would be great too, thanks just the same either way. :)

Very nice feel!

Even if I didn't saw your name I could have sweared that you were norwegian.

Funny the only thing that comes to my mind when Landau is mentioned is a certain sound from the 80/90s. I never thougth about him as doing musical lines or what his own music might sound like.

Thank you! It's good to hear I sound like a norwegian, hehehe :)

I know what you mean about that certain sound, but if you forget about the session/studio stuff Landau did in the 80/90s, and listen to some of his own CDs (especially the 2 live ones), I think you'll hear some of the chord progressions, and maybe a few lines I have borrowed from him. His jazzier tunes are really cool.

Thanks for the IR list, man! I appreciate your posting these IRs, you mixed up a great sound formula. If you get the chance to pass along the amp settings, that would be great too, thanks just the same either way. :)

No problem! I'm not with my axe right now (christmas holidays), but I'll try to remember to do that :)
Thank you for the nice comments on my sound!

Thank you! It's good to hear I sound like a norwegian, hehehe :)

I know what you mean about that certain sound, but if you forget about the session/studio stuff Landau did in the 80/90s, and listen to some of his own CDs (especially the 2 live ones), I think you'll hear some of the chord progressions, and maybe a few lines I have borrowed from him. His jazzier tunes are really cool.

Ok I will check his own work.

That sounded absolutely stellar man! Amazingly beautiful tone and playing.

Really interested in taking a look at the amp settings, though I'm not a jazz player at all. Your clips just made a huge influence for me. Thanks!

@ninjazebra

You are a great musician. I'm just in love with this. My other guitarist pointed me towards this. Very glad he did.

Thank you, I'm very glad people like my music! It's my first time showing off something I made myself, so I really appreciate your comments :)

That sounded absolutely stellar man! Amazingly beautiful tone and playing.

Really interested in taking a look at the amp settings, though I'm not a jazz player at all. Your clips just made a huge influence for me. Thanks!

Sure thing, I just booted up the axe. There's no magic going on, and I think the cabs I mentioned earlier from cab pack 10 did a lot of tone shaping. I mixed them in stereo, and tried to select both cabs with a nice comfortable tone, as well as a few ugly ones to cut through.

Amp settings – USA LEAD BRT +
Input drive: 2.25
Overdrive: 6.47
Bass: 4.19
Mid: 5.42 (FAT engaged)
Treb: 5.83
Bright: 0.0
Pres: 0.0
Depth: 1.24
Master: 3.63

Everything else standard! The guitar is a James Tyler Classic.

Last edited:
Sure thing, I just booted up the axe. There's no magic going on, and I think the cabs I mentioned earlier from cab pack 10 did a lot of tone shaping. I mixed them in stereo, and tried to select both cabs with a nice comfortable tone, as well as a few ugly ones to cut through.

Amp settings – USA LEAD BRT +
Input drive: 2.25
Overdrive: 6.47
Bass: 4.19
Mid: 5.42 (FAT engaged)
Treb: 5.83
Bright: 0.0
Pres: 0.0
Depth: 1.24
Master: 3.63

Everything else standard! The guitar is a James Tyler Classic.

Thanks for this! There's been times that I've wanted to use a Mesa amp for lower gain tones and had absolutely no idea how to set the amps. This will be a good starting point!

I was also going to ask you about the cab selections because I thought they were really unusual. No matter if that was just pure luck or knowledge, it works and sounds wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom