Options for Synth block Freq to Pedal 1

gtrscott

Hi All,

I'm attempting to re-create an old preset posted here that mimics the horns in the VH Runnin' With The Devil.

I have a synth block set to play a chord and I want to drop the Frequency on all 3 voices by the same amount using pedal 1. I can't figure out how to map all three to one pedal without messing up the frequencies of my chord. Maybe there's way?

It sort of works with the pitch block's Classic Whammy. Manually turning the pitch control via FM9-Edit, it works perfect, but as soon as I add the modifier for pedal1, I get other notes that come through during the pitch change (probably not describing that right). I'm probably missing something in the modifier, but I can't see what that might be.

Any thoughts or help are appreciated.

Thanks!!

This should be possible with modifiers on the 3 synth voices' frequency parameters. What did you try before, and how did it "mess up the frequencies"? You'll need to adjust the min/max so each voice moves through the intended frequency range.

The whammy approach can work, but would basically just add potential artifacts from the shift process. Reasons it might have sounded strange could be: detector source set to something other than Block In, or tracking mode "Fast" rather than "Smooth" which is more suited for chords.

IMHO, it would be more consistent using one of the controllers triggered via a switch or scene, etc., instead of an expression pedal. If the expression pedal is preferred, use a good amount of damping to set the desired time of the pitch drop and just use the pedal as a switch.

Thanks for the replies!
This should be possible with modifiers on the 3 synth voices' frequency parameters. What did you try before, and how did it "mess up the frequencies"? You'll need to adjust the min/max so each voice moves through the intended frequency range.

The whammy approach can work, but would basically just add potential artifacts from the shift process. Reasons it might have sounded strange could be: detector source set to something other than Block In, or tracking mode "Fast" rather than "Smooth" which is more suited for chords.
I'm not sure what modifiers to use and because all 3 voices are different, I don't think I'll get them to go low enough together. The 'other notes' I mentioned were my bad. I left the modifiers on the synth frequency, so they were also being affected.

IMHO, it would be more consistent using one of the controllers triggered via a switch or scene, etc., instead of an expression pedal. If the expression pedal is preferred, use a good amount of damping to set the desired time of the pitch drop and just use the pedal as a switch.

That sounds great, step on the preset and is goes? Not sure how I would set that up.

I'm not sure what modifiers to use and because all 3 voices are different, I don't think I'll get them to go low enough together. The 'other notes' I mentioned were my bad. I left the modifiers on the synth frequency, so they were also being affected.
The modifiers would be assigned to the Synth's Voice 1/2/3 Frequency parameters, with the pedal (or switch w/ damping) as source. Min/max for each modifier will determine the range each sweeps through. This setup step would be required with any alternate methods of activating the pitch fall. Going low enough shouldn't be a problem. To keep the intervals between voices constant it may be easiest to set the same freq. range for all modifiers, then use the voice "shift" and "detune" parameters to tune the starting notes.

That sounds great, step on the preset and is goes? Not sure how I would set that up.
I messed with something pretty cool today on the Axe-Fx III. But seems like I discovered a bug? Or at least a difference between the different units, in how controllers react when filtered by specific channels, when I loaded it into an FM9 and FM3.

Found work-arounds for the Axe-Fx III, but those don't work in the FM units?

Working on something to post in one of the Bug sections, but not sure which unit is as intended. Neither react as I would have expected/hoped. And it's very hard to explain in text. Maybe a video along with the example presets? A Zoom meeting with a beta tester would be better.

Hmmm?

Here's a clip of where it's sitting right now.

Man, that sounds really good. I assume that's the Axe-FX III not an FM platform, due to the bug/differences.

So far I'm using the classic whammy, but it's only as smooth as my foot, which isn't always that smooth. I need to better understand how the modifiers work. The manual doesn't really have much in the way of examples. Can you recommend some reading material?

Thanks @Moke!

Man, that sounds really good. I assume that's the Axe-FX III not an FM platform, due to the bug/differences.

So far I'm using the classic whammy, but it's only as smooth as my foot, which isn't always that smooth. I need to better understand how the modifiers work. The manual doesn't really have much in the way of examples. Can you recommend some reading material?

Thanks @Moke!
Play with the 'Damping' parameters in the 'Edit Modifier' window.

Finally figured out the control switches for the modifiers and got something workable using the pitch block. Thanks all!!

Moke - Sounds really impressive. Hope you’re able to get it to work on the FM9!
I've got all three Gen 3 units on the latest (sync'd?) firmware. This preset works on the Axe-Fx III and the FM3, but not on the FM9? The Edit Modifier controller values are just not compatible?

'Min' and 'Max' values appear to get swapped. And channel specific modifier initial states don't react the same in the FM9. Maybe other things too? I haven't found time to prep a proper bug report.

Here is the current version. Maybe a beta tester can take a deeper look and compare between the three units.

Attachments

• Moke's 'Runnin with Diablo'.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom