Opinions on Mix please

Narsh

Experienced
Before I start mixing the new album, I wanted to get everyone's take on this mix.

I just got my hands on addictive drums and decided to mix it in with EZdrummer. To my ears, which may be fatigued already, it sounds full and more alive than my usual mixes.

Please let me know your thoughts...
Thanks,

Narsh

don't know what your usual mixes sound like but it sounds good and balanced. lead guitar sounds really good.

Hey Narsh,

To my ears, the drums need some more work. I can't really hear the kick drum at all and the hi-hat/cymbals have too much high end in them/possibly too high in the mix-they have that 'splashy' sound to them.

I suspect the kick drum is getting lost because of the low end from the bass and rhythm guitars. I think you might want to consider some HPF on at least the bass and rhythm guitars just to give the drums more space to breathe. You can then raise the kick drum in the mix or consider something with a little more 'cut'.

Having said that, the guitar playing is amazing - I can hear some Marty Friedman influence I think. Keep up the good work :)

How did you blend the 2 drum programs? I'd use the snare and cymbals from addictive and fill the rest out with ez. Also be aware of the inherent phase issues that come with mixing and matching like this, hitting the polarity flip in your daw should make it clear if everything is lining up right

Hey Narsh,

To my ears, the drums need some more work. I can't really hear the kick drum at all and the hi-hat/cymbals have too much high end in them/possibly too high in the mix-they have that 'splashy' sound to them.

I suspect the kick drum is getting lost because of the low end from the bass and rhythm guitars. I think you might want to consider some HPF on at least the bass and rhythm guitars just to give the drums more space to breathe. You can then raise the kick drum in the mix or consider something with a little more 'cut'.

Having said that, the guitar playing is amazing - I can hear some Marty Friedman influence I think. Keep up the good work :)

Narsh - I agree with these comments. My opinion - guitars are amazing as always, but drums are too low in the mix, no punch on the low end, and the kit sounds really dry. I use EZD2 as well and found this video helpful in case it's of interest.

Back
Top Bottom