Opinions on Mesa 2:Fifty Power Amp

sprint

Axe-Master
I have a chance to get one of the these for a good price. I'm currently using an ART SLA to 2 2x12 Marshall Cab.

Does anyone have any opinions on what I can expect. I've read a lot about the 20/20 needing an aftermarket mod to be usable with a modeller. Not sure if the 2:50 will have the same issue.

sprint said:
I have a chance to get one of the these for a good price. I'm currently using an ART SLA to 2 2x12 Marshall Cab.

Does anyone have any opinions on what I can expect. I've read a lot about the 20/20 needing an aftermarket mod to be usable with a modeller. Not sure if the 2:50 will have the same issue.

That would be a decent amp, not to much color if the tubes aren't to old you should be ok.

I actually went the opposite direction. When I first got my Ultra I had a 2:Fifty and then I got an SLA2 a few months later. I ran both into a 4x12 Boogie cabinet, but I preferred being able to use the power amp sims once I got the SLA2.

ocaptainjr2 said:
I actually went the opposite direction. When I first got my Ultra I had a 2:Fifty and then I got an SLA2 a few months later. I ran both into a 4x12 Boogie cabinet, but I preferred being able to use the power amp sims once I got the SLA2.

You can use them with tube amps, too ;)

May be considered "incorrect", but I've gotten my best sounds using the PA sim's through my stereo tube power amp. I've gotten some decent sounds through SS power amps also, but just not as good, IMO.

I tried using my Boogie 50/50 and I found it colored and compressed the crap out of my Axe's tone. A/Bing it with a Crest CA-6 was like night and day. Don't know if the 2:50 is any better; but I've heard it said around here that Boogie stuff is excessively colored for guitar.

Back
Top Bottom