Opinions on Guitar Purchase

bmgguitars

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions from some users between purchasing an EBMM JP6 with rosewood neck versus a Suhr Modern. I've never had the chance to play either one of these, nor is there a dealer close by to try them out.

Funds only permit the purchase of one or the other. I see so many of you with both models, and speaking highly of both.

My usage ranges from clean worship and praise music to blues to classic rock. Appreciate any opinions you have.

Thanks.

If buying new, go with a place that has a generous return policy so your only cost of exit would be return shipping. Or go used, don't get into a bidding war, so you don't over pay and then you can always sell near your purchase price if it isn't for you. I'd go Suhr for the situations and genres described.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you feel the JP6 is more geared to a metal tone?

If buying new, go with a place that has a generous return policy so your only cost of exit would be return shipping. Or go used, don't get into a bidding war, so you don't over pay and then you can always sell near your purchase price if it isn't for you. I'd go Suhr for the situations and genres described.

I would also add make sure you know what you like in a guitar. Meaning fret wire size, neck carve, neck radius etc. Seeing how your fretting hand is touching the guitar the most that's where I look first, then I look for the other things that I want, need or like in a guitar.

I love my Suhr Custom Modern. It can be very versatile depending on the pickups you put in it and pickup configuration it has. It would, without any doubt, cover the genres you listed.

I don't have any real experience with the JP6 so I can't offer a comparison opinion.

I have a a few Suhr Moderns and like them for rock/hard rock, but really anything. These are quite different guitars 'feel wise'. The Suhr modern has an asymetrical body and an eliptical neck so it's going to feel a certain way. For me, just right. I bought my first Suhr online and loved it. I had tried a JP once and the fit just didn't excite me. But the Suhr was/is it.

As Luke mentioned, KNOW the return policy. Some(Humbucker Music) are only 5 days and you pay a 3% restock fee for the credit card charge(that's alot on a $2500+ guitar!) + you pay the free shipping if there was and the return shipping so just be aware of all that and don't get caught by surprise.

I've purchased from Music Zoo, Rocket Music(highly recommend Dan is VERY helpful), and 2 from Humbucker Music(I returned a Suhr there once AND bought it back a month later - 'returner's remorse' DOH)

It's exciting, just gotta know the pitfalls.
Good luck!

curious as to why PRS isn't on your radar? I used one for many years playing the same music and they are great players.

For me the foremost choice is - pick up the guitar, close your eyes and feel if your fingers are like married to the neck and fretboard radius. And the balance of the body whether it's on your knee or with a strap.

There is some good advice here. FWIW I had the chance to play a Suhr Modern recently. I really expected to love it, but I didn't. Not even a little bit. It was clearly a quality made instrumemnt; it was beautiful and flawless in its finish. I just hated the neck profile, but that was enough that I wouldn't buy it. Then again I hated the necks on the old EVH Wolfgang guitars and lots of cats love them. The PRS next to it was perfectly suited to my hand though.

So am I saying that Suhr guitars are shit and you shouldn't buy one? No, not at all. That Suhr might be perfect *for you*. Maybe another Suhr would be my ultimate guitar. But you don't want to be stuck with an expensive guitar that doesn't suit you.

For that kind of outlay is there no way you can do a "road trip" to a shop that stocks some instruments? If that is totally out of the questionj, as others have said check the return policy.

Good luck.

For me the foremost choice is - pick up the guitar, close your eyes and feel if your fingers are like married to the neck and fretboard radius. And the balance of the body whether it's on your knee or with a strap.

This^^^^. I took a chance when I ordered my Edwards from Japan. Lucky for me it worked out, but I doubt I would ever buy a guitar without playing it first ever again. Every intrument sounds and feels different, even ones that are the exact same model. Every piece of wood is unique.

I bought a EB LIII with all rosewood neck, transition pickups and its my favorite guitar atm. Very versatile and easy to play. Some may not like the small neck profile but I love it. Also have a JP6 I like after I changed the pickups, the piezo could be tone matched to a nice acoustic for more versatility.

All,

Totally appreciate all of the feedback on this. I do currently own a PRS custom 24, as well are a Parker, some LPs, some Heritages, Jacksons, and Brian Moores.

I was interested I trying out one of the two I mentioned to add to the collection. I guess I'll expand my search for dealers and maybe make a road trip. You all have me thinking I better feel the Suhr before I pull the trigger.

Thanks again.

Hard to go wrong with the EBMMs. I have a JP6 with piezo and it's an awesome playing guitar and sounds great in the various positions. I use it for rock (Billy idol, Journey, GnR) in my band. The Piezo sounds great too.

I currently have both, having played only Suhr's for the last 3 years or so. Whilst I have to agree that the Suhr build quality is supreme, the JP6 is the more versatile for me (with great clarity of tone) and can cover a wide range of styles too. The Suhr has now become my backup rather than main guitar, and will remain that way until I probably go for another EBMM.

The elliptical necks on the moderns are not all exactly the same. I prefer the GG .800 - .850 with heavy frets (10 - 14 radius) 1.650 nut.
John Suhr will probably make you whatever you like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom