Opinions on CAB IR packages

lscottk

Experienced
I want to expand my sonic palette by purchasing a cab IR package for my Axe-FX II. I know about Ownhammer and RedWirez. Are there any other IR packages out there that are worth considering?

Also, I'm interested in hearing opinions from anyone who is familiar with the complete packages from both Ownhammer and RedWirez. I know that they both are well liked on this board. I'm curious if one or the other might be a better choice for the type of tones that I typically use in my band.

Tones that I use are pretty varied, spanning everything from a harder sound (School of Fish - 3 Strange Days), to light pop (Katy Perry, Paramour), to classic rock (Aerosmith Sweet Emotion), to blues (Susan Tedeschi), to roots rock (Kings of Leon, older Sheryl Crow), to old school R&B (Chain of Fools, Crazy or Forget You). Though it isn't currently on our set list, we plan on including some songs by Alice In Chains (Would, for example). The School of Fish tune is about as hard as we get. Amp models that I use include the AC-30, Double Verb, Friedman HBE, Matchless, USA Clean 1, CAE Rhythm.

I realize that this will ultimately come down to personal taste and that just because someone else likes something does not guarantee that I'll like it. I'm just looking for comments, opinions, and observations before I make a choice.

Thanks,
Scott
P.S. I tried to move this to the Cabs forum but I can't delete my original post. Moderators, please more if you feel it is appropriate. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the Redwirez Big Box set and the OH Bogner V31 sets.

The Room stuff OH has done is fantastic for creating that "in the room" feel, which I add as a second cabinet.

I have all of them and like both equally as much. My suggestion to you is to look at the gear the artist use that you're interested in and try to see which speakers/cabs they use, then get those for starters.

I have the Redwirez big box set. With it, the options are nearly overwhelming. But, better to have too much than too little. Funny thing is, I generally prefer the stock cabs in the Axe with the mics set to "none".

Back
Top Bottom