Opeth - Windowpane cover

What stands out to much is the snare drum and the half open hi-hat. The snare should be more mellow to fit in I think and the H-O hi-hat needs some more work to feel natural. Maybe lower the overall drum package a db or two?

Thanks for the feedback so far...I agree the most challenge for me was getting the snare to fit in the overall mood and sound of the song.

Nice!
Damnation is a great album btw!
I miss some vocals on your demo though! ;)

Thanks for the like :) unfortunately my vocal skills are far worse than my guitar skills...so no vocals unless someone is willing to sing over my tracks..

What stands out to much is the snare drum and the half open hi-hat. The snare should be more mellow to fit in I think and the H-O hi-hat needs some more work to feel natural. Maybe lower the overall drum package a db or two?

I re-arranged the drum track a little and added some additional low mids to the overall mix...let me know what you think.

Aprreciate the feedback so far!!

Like it! One of my favorite Opeth songs. Clean tones were very well-done. Great use of the Mellotron, too. My only critique is that the lead at 1:12 sounded a bit too thin, and perhaps a hair less gain would be needed. The slightly driven leads were spot-on, though.

We really need to get Cliff a Laney VH100R to model (which absolutely nails this slightly driven clean tone). I can't remember what Michael used for the (few) more distorted leads on this album; I know he used a Recto with the Laney on Deliverance, which was recorded around the same time. What amps and cabs did you use?

Like it! One of my favorite Opeth songs. Clean tones were very well-done. Great use of the Mellotron, too. My only critique is that the lead at 1:12 sounded a bit too thin, and perhaps a hair less gain would be needed. The slightly driven leads were spot-on, though.

We really need to get Cliff a Laney VH100R to model (which absolutely nails this slightly driven clean tone). I can't remember what Michael used for the (few) more distorted leads on this album; I know he used a Recto with the Laney on Deliverance, which was recorded around the same time. What amps and cabs did you use?

Thanks for your kind words....I will need to look up the models I used for the different tracks, as I played around and recorded a lot of different presets. However I believe I mostly ended up using slightly modified stock presets.

Guitar used is a PRS Cu24 (20th Av edition)

Back
Top Bottom