Opeth and the Axe Fx

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
Saw this at the Petrucci forum, figured i'd post it here. Haven't seen this on here yet so if it's been discussed already, sorry :)

"Answer: Yes. Straight from the Horse's Mouth.

This might have been posted before, but I went to the Meet and greet for the Los Angeles Anniv. Opeth show last night and was talking to Fredrik. I asked if they had got any new gear since NAMM, and he told they both bought Axe FX's. Fredrik said he was using his Blackstars and using the AxeFX just for effects, but that Mikael was using the Axe-FX only. He said that Mikael got rid of that "Boss thing" he was using, and has switched over completely, and that his tone was much better.

That being said, I'm unsure if it's because of this fact or not, but I would say that the clarity in their tone last night was far beyond any of the other Opeth shows before, and I had seen Opeth at this venue once before. Mikael's cleans sounded a bit less thick, but had more snap than I recall from the other shows I have seen, but his distorted tone was much better and a lot more focused and tight sounding. Overall it was an AMAZING show, and they were really together and having fun that night."

i was curious as to whether they would eventually go for the Axe FX having used BOSS GTs for years. I saw Opeth in October and though Mikael's cleans and lead sounds were great but the rhythms lacked a bi of balls for me. It makes total sense for a guy who's so used to using a processor for all his sounds to get the best "processor" on the market.

Maybe it was my Opeth riffs through the Axe on Youtube that pushed him over the edge :D

Tymon said:
And yet another band we introduced to the Axe-FX when we toured with them back in 2008.

And yet another band that called me for guidance. ;)

I spend two days setting it up for both Fredrik and Mikael, tweaked some sounds and did some sounds. Mikael's main Rhythm sound nowadays is a modded FAS Modern. We tested different "regular amps" like Recto red/Orange, New Recto, Uber, PVH5105, Das Metal, USA Lead, and found sounds he was happy with. When that was taken care of, I said "let me try one thing" and did a FAS modern sound that I like. He struck a chord and got that "approved" smile I'm always looking for. :)

I suspect that within a couple of years, most of the Swedish bands will tour with an AFX or two.

Tom and Cliff, when you guys get a Swedish Support, hire me. ;)

Clawfinger said:
Tymon said:
And yet another band we introduced to the Axe-FX when we toured with them back in 2008.

I spend two days setting it up for both Fredrik and Mikael, tweaked some sounds and did some sounds. Mikael's main Rhythm sound nowadays is a modded FAS Modern. We tested different "regular amps" like Recto red/Orange, New Recto, Uber, PVH5105, Das Metal, USA Lead, and found sounds he was happy with. When that was taken care of, I said "let me try one thing" and did a FAS modern sound that I like. He struck a chord and got that "approved" smile I'm always looking for. :)

I suspect that within a couple of years, most of the Swedish bands will tour with an AFX or two.

Care to elaborate a little? Or a lot? :lol:

Clawfinger said:
Tymon said:

Haha that's awesome. It did sound good when I saw them perform with it a week ago, good job!

I saw them last may they sounded so much better than a boss that i thought the boss was a rumour... so that expains it :D

Back
Top Bottom