Oops! Mistake at 1am. Neighbors hate me now

shawnb

Inspired
So I bought a new set of wireless headphones and decided to use them the first time at 1am. So I'm watching youtube and connect but I don't hear anything. Turn off, on, shows up in my Bluetooth again but I hear nothing. So I decided to put on some Cannible Corpse: Scourge of Iron thinking I'll hear that better. It's 1am. Then I hear the bass thumping in the apartment above but I'm not sure this is mine. I turn it off. Reconnect. Max the volume then I hear it above me and then I hear the neighbors scurry, slam doors, things smack around and the sound goes off.

Turns out, I didn't charge my headphones and I was just connecting to their open BT speaker above.

Oops!

Why doesn't this happen all the time in apartment buildings and tight neighborhoods? Do bluetooth speakers have passwords?

This kind of stuff makes me fear IOT/5G with more devices being accessible and remotely controllable. There's a point when tech can be too invasive and too error prone, not to mention susceptible to late night rockers.

Last edited:
Why doesn't this happen all the time in apartment buildings and tight neighborhoods? Do bluetooth speakers have passwords?
Generally no, but many BT devices have to be put in "pair" mode in order to connect to a new device. Depends on the device's software and features. Bluetooth range is fairly limited too depending on the device and BT version it supports. You can sometimes run into the same sort of issue in an office setting with lots of desks or cubes close to each other.

Who knows, you may have introduced them to some great music they otherwise would have never discovered!

This kind of stuff makes me fear IOT/5G with more devices being accessible and remotely controllable. There's a point when tech can be too invasive and too error prone, not to mention susceptible to late night rockers.

IoT straight-up terrifies me. How many electronic snitches will people allow into their homes, knowingly and unknowingly? And how many of those are either going to deliberately exploit their "owners" or be so shoddily secured that they get exploited themselves?

Reminds me off times back in the 80s as teenager when I had a Stereo where you have to manually switch off speakers when plugin a headphone...
So I woke my mother late night by using a complete isolated Pioneer headphone, listening to Metallica at high volume and was not aware that speakers are still active. :tearsofjoy:

IoT straight-up terrifies me. How many electronic snitches will people allow into their homes, knowingly and unknowingly? And how many of those are either going to deliberately exploit their "owners" or be so shoddily secured that they get exploited themselves?
This is why I said that conspiracy nutters freak out over the wrong things. What is the point about freaking out about ridiculous chips being injected into you with covid vaccines when they can already spy on you with your current mobile devices.

As for the OP, their fault for not turning off their own devices. You leave it on, ANYONE can connect to it. If anything you did them a favor by teaching them that lesson.

Reminds me off times back in the 80s as teenager when I had a Stereo where you have to manually switch off speakers when plugin a headphone...
So I woke my mother late night by using a complete isolated Pioneer headphone, listening to Metallica at high volume and was not aware that speakers are still active. :tearsofjoy:
I had something similar happen in my teens, It wasn't the switch, but I didn't have the plug inserted all the way and was trying to figure out why the music was only blasting in one ear. My mom came in my room and gently let me know that she (and maybe the whole neighborhood) heard the missing channel loud and clear! Memories... Lol

Some you need to pair with a code, but for some reason whenever I get in my wife’s car, her car will automatically sync to my phone, even though I’ve never paired it with her car. She hates Queensryche, so every time she gets in the car when I’m in the house, I run to the front door and put on ”The Warning” as she’s getting in. If I hear the tires screech out of the driveway, I know I connected. :D

My sophomore year of college, I was living in our piece of shit frat house basement. Very thin walls and floors. The guy upstairs from me would blast techno music at all hours of the day. Back then I owned a Mesa 2x12 combo amp. One day I'd had enough. I aimed the amp at the ceiling, pulled out my 7-string, and blasted the most evil sounding chord I could think of at full volume. He was a lot quieter after that.

Back
Top Bottom